Christmas tips for decorations etc

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

SPJ wrote:
newtimber wrote:
Drax wrote:Slightly off topic but on the same theme.
We always leave a bottle of wine and a carton of fresh milk for our guests.
I think leaving wine may be a problem without having an alcohol license?
I hope you're joking!
Nope - in the UK we're not supposed to leave alcohol for guests if we haven't got a licence. Despite that, hundreds of owners do it anyway, either because they don't know or hope that it's not enforced. There are moves afoot to change the regulations and introduce a low cost licence suitable for holiday lets and B&Bs.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

That’s an interesting one.
I understand the licence issue if you give alcohol as part of a normal welcome pack - then it is argued that the guest is paying for it anyway.
But if you decide to leave a gift for a Christmas guest, but never the rest of the year, is that the same issue?? There is a good argument in my opinion, to say it is different.....am I wrong??
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I'm glad I'm in France! Please don't tell me I'm not supposed to do it in France either!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Oh dear, oh dear, I do hope the licencing authorities have better things to do with their time than chase down holiday home owners leaving their guests a welcome gift of a bottle of wine!
Drax

Post by Drax »

Joanna wrote:
SPJ wrote:
newtimber wrote: I think leaving wine may be a problem without having an alcohol license?
I hope you're joking!
Nope - in the UK we're not supposed to leave alcohol for guests if we haven't got a licence. Despite that, hundreds of owners do it anyway, either because they don't know or hope that it's not enforced. There are moves afoot to change the regulations and introduce a low cost licence suitable for holiday lets and B&Bs.
I have just contacted my local council's alcohol licensing officer and he states that provided the wine is a gift from the holiday home owner to the guest then no licence is required.
If however you specifically sell the bottle of wine to the guest then a licence is required.
He assured me that I was not breaking the law by leaving a bottle of wine for guests and I would not 'have my collar felt' for doing so.
Keep your powder dry.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

zebedee wrote:That’s an interesting one.
I understand the licence issue if you give alcohol as part of a normal welcome pack - then it is argued that the guest is paying for it anyway.
But if you decide to leave a gift for a Christmas guest, but never the rest of the year, is that the same issue?? There is a good argument in my opinion, to say it is different.....am I wrong??
Nothing is regarded as “free”, it’s “an inducement”, so leaving alcohol for guests contravenes the licensing laws regardless of the intention behind it.
Yes it's bonkers legislation, the authorities have no interest in enforcing it for the odd bottle supplied as part of the overall accommodation package, and it hasn’t been enforced for years. But that is still the law.
It’s been up for change for quite a while as part of the drive to remove “Red Tape”, but apparently there have been other matters straining the mental capacity of politicians so it has yet to happen... The intention is as Joanna says, to introduce a low cost licence that we can all pay for (oh good...) which will regularise the situation. Some day.
Meanwhile, I doubt if leaving a bottle of something half decent for a guest will result in their sleep being disturbed by the sound of the helicopters overhead dropping the SWAT team to deal with it.

(BTW - on a similar topic, did you know that you can’t supply DVDs for guests unless you have a licence, and there is no one licence that covers all the main studios? Yes, really.)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Drax wrote: I have just contacted my local council's alcohol licensing officer and he states that provided the wine is a gift from the holiday home owner to the guest then no licence is required.
If however you specifically sell the bottle of wine to the guest then a licence is required.
He assured me that I was not breaking the law by leaving a bottle of wine for guests and I would not 'have my collar felt' for doing so.
Did you get that in writing? It flies in the face of the legal position, but if that’s what the officer says ;-) ;-)
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Here you go, from the accommodation owner’s bible:
Providing 'free' alcohol to guests

You need a licence to sell alcohol – this includes providing 'free' alcohol, because it is an incentive to purchase and/or is included in your pricing structure. The fact that you charge the guest for staying in your accommodation means that they are essentially paying for the alcohol that is provided. In other words, the guest has effectively paid a 'consideration' for that service. It is not free.

Note: in 2014, the Government announced that it would introduce Community and Ancillary Sales Notices (CANs), which would allow accommodation businesses to sell small amounts of alcohol for a nominal fee. However, although introducing CANs is still Government policy, there is no indication as to when they will be introduced.
Full text here
Drax

Post by Drax »

greenbarn wrote:
Drax wrote: I have just contacted my local council's alcohol licensing officer and he states that provided the wine is a gift from the holiday home owner to the guest then no licence is required.
Did you get that in writing? It flies in the face of the legal position, but if that’s what the officer says ;-) ;-)
No I did not get it in writing but I did ask his for his name and I recorded it along with date and time.
He assured me that I was not breaking the law, he stated that giving a bottle of wine to a guest is clearly just a gift and is not in breach of licensing laws.
Keep your powder dry.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

MOH (retired accountant) agrees the alcohol in the welcome pack is a gift, PROVIDED there is no reduction in the cost to any guest who refuses the welcome pack. Ie the welcome pack is NOT an extra cost on top of the basic rental, in the way say that linen might be.

Without doubt, under such circumstances the alcohol is a gift, offered by the gite owner.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

My twopenn'orth …………….. when I advertise a 'Welcome Pack' I don't say what it includes so my guests don't book on the basis of getting a bottle of wine so it is, therefore, not an 'inducement'.
CSE

Post by CSE »

You have cleared up the supply of alcohol issue. Now you have to solved the supply of food issue. The chances that someone has an allergic reaction quite high.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Greenbarn wrote
Meanwhile, I doubt if leaving a bottle of something half decent for a guest will result in their sleep being disturbed by the sound of the helicopters overhead dropping the SWAT team to deal with it.
Now, let’s not get too excited here, I didn’t say anything about it being a “half decent” bottle of wine!!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, my gift to Christmas guests cannot be an inducement to book as I don’t tell anyone about it. (Well, apart from now putting the information on the internet for the world to read via this forum!)
It is not part of a usual welcome pack.
To make matters worse, I have had occasions when I’ve found the bottle in the cleaners cupboard after the festive period because she forgot to leave it out for the guests :oops:
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

To make matters even worse you might have found the cleaner in the cleaner's cupboard with the empty bottle of wine!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

:D :D :D