Coronavirus - is it affecting your bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
TheBrewster

Post by TheBrewster »

I totally agree with CSE on this.
I'm offering a change of date or moving the holiday to next year.
This situation is dreadful enough for everyone-and if I can make it just a little bit easier for someone then I will.
We have had a huge outlay on the house this winter, on various things, and finding the cash to pay all the deposits back would be a ballache anyway.
I realise we're just shifting our loss, but my head is so busy at the moment, I'll think about that when there's more room in there!
Having said that, our deposits are refundable up to three months before travel, so there's still plenty of time for a lot of clients to cancel on me :?
Fingers crossed they all just decide to come next year instead!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I had guests ask for a full refund last weekend on the day their balance payment was due.
It seemed they did have insurance, but their work had been impacted and may not continue much longer so they didn’t now have the money to pay out the balance in order to submit a claim on their insurance.
We need to try and be kind and helpful wherever we can.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I agree Zebedee. I have just emailed guests who are supposed to be coming in July to offer a number of alternatives if they cannot come, one of which is full refund of their deposit. I would obviously rather not - and I have said that I hope their travel insurance company will do the decent thing - but they are coming back for the third time and I have every expectation they will continue to come in the years ahead. So I will do all I can to protect that future repeat business.
I'm looking at grounded planes on runways, Gatwick closed and the UK talking now about the next 6 months and I can't see that they will be able to get here. They are supposed to be flying Jet2. I wonder if the airline will even exist by then?
Pengman

Covid 19: Small Business Grant Scheme

Post by Pengman »

Just made my application for the £10k grant under the (Covid 19 related) SBGS. If you currently receive small business rate relief for RVs under £12k, and also small business tapered rate relief for RVs £12 - £15k, you qualify. Visit the website for the local authority that administers your business rates and search for the form you need to apply online. Very easy process - took me 10 minutes at most.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ness-rates
I came, I saw, I bought it.
newtimber

Re: Covid 19: Small Business Grant Scheme

Post by newtimber »

Pengman wrote:Just made my application for the £10k grant under the (Covid 19 related) SBGS. If you currently receive small business rate relief for RVs under £12k, and also small business tapered rate relief for RVs £12 - £15k, you qualify. Visit the website for the local authority that administers your business rates and search for the form you need to apply online. Very easy process - took me 10 minutes at most.
And if you own 2 properties with a combined RV of less than 12K, you get nothing. If there any logic in this?
hydroland2

Re: Covid 19: Small Business Grant Scheme

Post by hydroland2 »

Pengman wrote:Just made my application for the £10k grant under the (Covid 19 related) SBGS. If you currently receive small business rate relief for RVs under £12k, and also small business tapered rate relief for RVs £12 - £15k, you qualify. Visit the website for the local authority that administers your business rates and search for the form you need to apply online. Very easy process - took me 10 minutes at most.
We have to apply? I thought the local councils were to get in touch with anyone that qualified themselves?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Many local authorities have organised themselves very well under the circumstances.
My LA has notices on the front page of their website which includes a link to the form, so you can help them by filling it in on line.
Otherwise they will need to post out your form for you to complete. They need you to fill out a form as your bank details may have changed.

My LA have gotten on with this and now processed the form according to an email received yesterday evening.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

We have cottages in the areas governed by Harrogate and Scarborough Borough Councils. Thankfully both accept online applications. We have already received an email from Harrogate to say that they have accepted our application and that the cash will be in our account within days. :D
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

My council (Herefordshire) doesn't seem to have an online application. They haven't posted any new info so I guess I need to wait for them to send out a letter or something?
Blozinge

Post by Blozinge »

My local authority (West Somerset & Taunton) sent me a letter a couple of days ago advising me that my FHL should qualify for the grant and inviting me to apply via a web link. This was a quick and easy process involving answering a few multiple choice questions and uploading some documents. It was not clear when the grant (£10,000 apparently) would be paid, but they just stated it would be as soon as possible.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

hydroland2 wrote:My council (Herefordshire) doesn't seem to have an online application. They haven't posted any new info so I guess I need to wait for them to send out a letter or something?
You need to go to the authority that collects council tax and business rates. This is typically your district council not your county council.

Jonathan
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

Jonathan wrote:
hydroland2 wrote:My council (Herefordshire) doesn't seem to have an online application. They haven't posted any new info so I guess I need to wait for them to send out a letter or something?
You need to go to the authority that collects council tax and business rates. This is typically your district council not your county council.

Jonathan
Herefordshire are the authority that collects these here and they are administering the grants. They don't have an online form. Their original statement says they will write to eligible businesses and we must wait for their contact (nothing so far). Fairly typical that they find the slowest possible way to do anything.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Any received grant?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Hi Apex, yes, received a full £10k grant into our bank account yesterday. Well done Harrogate! :)
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

+1 Craven County Council.