After Coronavirus

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
SPJ

After Coronavirus

Post by SPJ »

Given that we are still at the beginning, it perhaps seems strange to be thinking beyond coronavirus, but my suggestion is to begin to share ideas now about what we can do for this year not to be a complete and total disaster financially. For what they are worth, my thoughts are:
- normally I close mid-October. This year I'm opening up my calendar to Christmas and the New Year. There may be some people who, having missed their summer holiday in France, might be receptive to a late autumn / early winter week's break
- any updating / replacing plans are on hold. I'm now not spending any money other than basic repairs with materials I already have in stock
- the garden will only be stocked from plants I'm already growing. I'm fortunate most of my pot plants have over-wintered ok
- we will manage the pool as best we can with minimal products. If it goes green but we have no guests, so be it.
- watering will be kept to an absolute minimum. Again, no guests and flagging pot plants, so be it. We'll perk them up (or not!) when guests come back.
- cleaning / washing bed linen / etc obviously will greatly reduce if we have no guests, also no air conditioning needed - saving money on electricity, water and products
- as said elsewhere, encourage guests to postpone rather than cancel outright - come next year at this year's prices if they are prepared to leave their deposit
- offer flexible holiday periods - some coming later in the year may be willing to drive down rather than fly, but perhaps only stay 10-12 days rather than a full two weeks as they have to break their journey

Obviously these are all small things, but everything helps. Any other suggestions anyone about what we can be doing to protect our future?
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Totally agree. It's going to be a tough summer. The back end of the year might bring some respite. In the meantime you will still have the costs so any belt-drawing-in will be well worthwhile.
The bank crisis hit us hard and we sold off most of our properties for what we could get. Lost a fortune but, boy, are we glad we did.
Now we are locked down just the two of us rattling around in our 4 storey house. Don't expect to see the grandkids this summer.
I really feel for everybody in LMH.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

costa-brava wrote: I really feel for everybody in LMH.
I agree. And also for all our small local businesses that over the years I've come to know and love. The small seasonal restaurants, the local plant nurseries, the families who rely on gite changeovers and gardening, the local bands/singers who need the night markets through the summer.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Some good ideas SPJ and it is also positive to think and plan ahead especially in these quite unusual times.
Apart from carrying out maintenance during this period perhaps it may be a sensible to check out and cancel any monthly/annual contracts you may have. We have contracts with a Broadband supplier and also with British Gas who will carry out emergency repairs to our boiler if it develops a fault.
We pay a monthly fee for these contracts and they certainly add up.
If our holiday lets are going to be empty for the next few months it could be prudent to cancel such contracts. Then when business picks up renew the contracts.
Keep your powder dry.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I am glad that someone is thinking about the affects on their business. I posted this on a different thread.
viewtopic.php?p=363333&highlight=#363333
Owners do need to plan carefully. Not bury your head in your hands and wishing the following weeks away and then the future will be a bed of sweet smelling roses.
Airlines are already starting to shout about how hard they are feeling the pinch. Those who shout the hardest will gain the attention. Unfortunately small businesses do not have a ear of any counties government.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I think that when it all cools down, the main market is going to be the home market, people who can come by car. Here's an idea. Most of us have always kept correspondence in our inbox going back a few years.
Why not send an email offering a 25% discount on bookings that come in after coronavirus? This will cut out ABB and HA etc so you won't have to pay the commission and everybody's going to be bargain hunting anyway.
And at least it's doing something and costs nothing but time.
If your property is in another country use the google translator.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

We are just praying that in August the French will still travel. Luckily we have not had to rely on the Brits for our income as the bookings from the UK dropped off significantly over the the last few years and we advertise as much as possible for French guests. We have just had to cancel a Spanish booking for Easter and offered to refund or hold the deposit for a future booking. We are caretakers for a couple of gites one of which has all Brit bookings, the other is French owned and has French and a German booking. Expect the one with the Brit bookings to start getting cancellations, although perhaps those driving (via the tunnel in their own environment) may decide to just "self-isolate" in the gite and sit by the pool ... can but hope!! Like you, we are now looking at ways to reduce all expenditure this year ... although still paying 2,000 euros for the imposed installation of mains drainage, could have done without that but luckily only 2 more payments to make. Hold tight all .. as the UK government always says "we are all in this together".
CSE

Post by CSE »

costa-brava wrote:I think that when it all cools down, the main market is going to be the home market, people who can come by car. Here's an idea. Most of us have always kept correspondence in our inbox going back a few years.
Why not send an email offering a 25% discount on bookings that come in after coronavirus? This will cut out ABB and HA etc so you won't have to pay the commission and everybody's going to be bargain hunting anyway.
And at least it's doing something and costs nothing but time.
If your property is in another country use the google translator.
Privacy laws do not allow you to send SPAM (unrequested) emails.
If you store contact details that also means one would have to comply with storage of said information securely. All of this has been discussed before on this forum.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Frenchlady wrote:We are just praying that in August the French will still travel. Luckily we have not had to rely on the Brits for our income as the bookings from the UK dropped off significantly over the the last few years and we advertise as much as possible for French guests. We have just had to cancel a Spanish booking for Easter and offered to refund or hold the deposit for a future booking. We are caretakers for a couple of gites one of which has all Brit bookings, the other is French owned and has French and a German booking. Expect the one with the Brit bookings to start getting cancellations, although perhaps those driving (via the tunnel in their own environment) may decide to just "self-isolate" in the gite and sit by the pool ... can but hope!! Like you, we are now looking at ways to reduce all expenditure this year ... although still paying 2,000 euros for the imposed installation of mains drainage, could have done without that but luckily only 2 more payments to make. Hold tight all .. as the UK government always says "we are all in this together".
I understand Germany has now closed it's borders except for goods. Can you still travel in France? We cannot in Spain.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Yes we can travel in France today, all restaurants/bars, non-food shops, cinemas, schools and univs closed. However, the news said today that situation in France is deteriorating and President Macron to make a speech to the nation tonight and suspect that he will announce France is going into lockdown, only allowed out for shopping. Will wait and see what he has to say.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have just had an enquiry for Easter :shock:

"What is your cancellation policy if the coronavirus means we cannot travel?"

My blunt reply: Stay at home.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Just right Marks! A sympathetic pat on the head with a hammer!
There's no point in dragging it out.