Will you make travel insurance mandatory in future years?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
SPJ

Will you make travel insurance mandatory in future years?

Post by SPJ »

I suspect I'm not alone in this - my terms and conditions at the moment state:
"You are strongly advised to take out comprehensive travel/holiday insurance before departure, including cancellation cover. We cannot accept responsibility for losses or damage caused by events beyond our control such as strikes, industrial disputes, airport or port closures, fire, flood and other natural disasters."

I'm wondering whether to make travel insurance mandatory next year onwards, saying I will not confirm a booking until I have seen evidence of a travel insurance certificate.
newtimber

Re: Will you make travel insurance mandatory in future years

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote: I'm wondering whether to make travel insurance mandatory next year onwards, saying I will not confirm a booking until I have seen evidence of a travel insurance certificate.
People travelling within their own country are not going to want or need travel insurance as this would add a lot to the cost of their stay. And people flying from abroad will probably buy their insurance at the same time as buying their plane ticket and they won't want to buy their plane ticket unless they know they have a confirmed booking.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

newtimber wrote: And people flying from abroad will probably buy their insurance at the same time as buying their plane ticket and they won't want to buy their plane ticket unless they know they have a confirmed booking.
Does that make annual travel insurance a more attractive proposition?
CSE

Post by CSE »

SPJ wrote:I suspect I'm not alone in this - my terms and conditions at the moment state:
"You are strongly advised to take out comprehensive travel/holiday insurance before departure, including cancellation cover. We cannot accept responsibility for losses or damage caused by events beyond our control such as strikes, industrial disputes, airport or port closures, fire, flood and other natural disasters."

I'm wondering whether to make travel insurance mandatory next year onwards, saying I will not confirm a booking until I have seen evidence of a travel insurance certificate.
How will you make that work?
You have no right to see any documentation.
You may not be able to read a documentation in a foreign language.
You will not see the policy. That is where what is deemed to be covered or excluded.
If a person purchases insurance you see the documents what is to stop them cancelling it and they get their refund.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
leon

Post by leon »

Gîtes de France and several other French organisations used to require a copy of the holiday insurance before accepting a booking. It might even be compulsory in France. I haven't checked this recently.
CSE

Post by CSE »

leon wrote:Gîtes de France and several other French organisations used to require a copy of the holiday insurance before accepting a booking. It might even be compulsory in France. I haven't checked this recently.
Never heard that or been asked for insurance.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Airlines tried this during the booking process but then fell back on a simple tick box that you tick to say "Yes, I have got my own travel insurance".

Easy to add to your own booking form.

I suspect this is the best you can do and should suffice.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

As far as I know most travel insurance will not cover this as its a pandemic now
leon

Post by leon »

CSE: Never heard that or been asked for insurance.
Have you booked with gîtes de France?

There is an obligation in France for renters to have insurance cover -
L'assurance RC (Responsabilité Civile) ou villégiature est obligatoire, car votre responsabilité civile en votre qualité 'd'occupant' est engagée :
en cas d'incendie, de dégât des eaux et d'explosion, etc...
vis-à-vis des voisins pour les dommages accidentels qui résulteraient de l'occupation et engageraient votre responsabilité (par exemple votre enfant brise accidentellement la baie vitrée du voisin en jouant au ballon).

L'assurance Annulation is optional:
L'assurance Annulation est facultative.
CSE

Post by CSE »

That is civil liability insurance not travel insurance.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

I have a similar line item in my rental agreement that they sign and return to me with their proof of age. Passport/license etc So they have been advised.
BUT
I have been told that many policies do not cover pandemics so they would still be out of luck after forking over monies for insurance as well.
Kate
USA
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

Actually taking out insurance for UK trips in your own country is actually very cheap! (up until now anyway). We always insure our trips - even weekends away and it's usually less than £10, so this wouldn't significantly add to anyone's holiday and it's even cheaper if you simply take out an annual UK & abroad policy. However, who knows what insurance costs will be like after this.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

e-richard wrote:Airlines tried this during the booking process but then fell back on a simple tick box that you tick to say "Yes, I have got my own travel insurance".

That's a good idea...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

If you have a T&C that states that you do not cover for these types of items ....are guests in the UK still protected? Just wondering how making mandatory insurance will be helpful??
Kate
USA
CSE

Post by CSE »

e-richard wrote:Airlines tried this during the booking process but then fell back on a simple tick box that you tick to say "Yes, I have got my own travel insurance".

Was that not for the EU laws preventing secondary selling of insurance?