Homeaway and coronavirus

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
leon

Homeaway and coronavirus

Post by leon »

Is it possible that Homeaway/vrbo etc will be severely financially compromised by the fallout from coronavirus?
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I saw that vacasa has serious problems (maybe collapsed?). The problem with the big ones is their level of debt. Plus they have zero assets apart from the name and goodwill.
Cymraes

Re: Homeaway and coronavirus

Post by Cymraes »

leon wrote:Is it possible that Homeaway/vrbo etc will be severely financially compromised by the fallout from coronavirus?
One can only hope so.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

As an advertiser with OD/HA group of money grabbing zealots and having a property that is not on a commission based account (ie We pay an annual charge to advertise) what do you think the chances are of OD/HA offering a refund for this year as a mark of solidarity to their valued clients ?
Should I put this in the "joke" section ? :roll:
What would Plato do ?
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

Anyone seen the latest email sent to HomeAway guests on April 3rd? I can’t copy and paste it but take a look at their “discovery hub” (google “Coronavirus HomeAway” to find out. Basically they’re now saying if you don’t give at least a 50% refund they will give you a 1-star review and your listing will say you were unhelpful in the Coronavirus period....
Renaud2

Post by Renaud2 »

Can't find any reference to "1 star reviews" on HomeAway. Can you be more specific about where you read this?
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

Renaud2 wrote:Can't find any reference to "1 star reviews" on HomeAway. Can you be more specific about where you read this?
Here’s the link.....

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/discoveryhub ... 19-updates
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Isn't that blackmail???
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

roxytoo wrote:Isn't that blackmail???
That’s what I thought. Would love a UK lawyer to give his/her point if on here.....
Mmmbobby

Post by Mmmbobby »

Oh dear, they just committed suicide☠️
Renaud2

Post by Renaud2 »

"If you refund 100%, give a credit, or reschedule, your property will receive a ranking increase equivalent to a 5-star review. Your reviews section will also state that you were supportive in a difficult time. Owners who fail to refund at least 50%, give a credit, or reschedule will receive a ranking penalty equivalent to a 1-star review. Their eligibility for programs like Premier Partner may be affected, and their reviews section will state that they weren't flexible during the crisis. While your property's search ranking will be affected, its overall star rating will stay the same."

The Premier Partner status is worth 'sod-all' in my experience, so no real loss there.
This action just confirms to me that continuing subscription ads with HA is now totally worthless.
I am already working on a revised strategy for marketing that will minimise the fees that HA will earn from me.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Thanks for that link, b_javea. This is what I read from there:-

Owners who fail to refund at least 50%, give a credit, or reschedule will receive a ranking penalty equivalent to a 1-star review. Their eligibility for programs like Premier Partner may be affected, and their reviews section will state that they weren't flexible during the crisis. While your property's search ranking will be affected, its overall star rating will stay the same. Thank you for being a part of our community and supporting holidaymakers during this time.

It looks like HomeAway will fiddle the ranking in the same way as for an owner who receives a 1* review. Not blackmail, I would say, but nasty. As for stating that their owner-customer was not "flexible", then they may be heading into hot water should a court's decision take a more lenient view of what "flexible" means in these particular circumstances. Bring it on!
louiseddie

Post by louiseddie »

How would they know what we're doing? For example I've had guests accept a 50% refund where we've let the stay 'play out' as if they stayed and I've refunded them 50% and moved their dates. Some are happy to just move dates without a refund.

Would they only know if guests contact them and say they can't get a refund from an owner? Would be interested to know how they're 'judging' it...
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

louiseddie wrote:How would they know what we're doing? For example I've had guests accept a 50% refund where we've let the stay 'play out' as if they stayed and I've refunded them 50% and moved their dates. Some are happy to just move dates without a refund.

Would they only know if guests contact them and say they can't get a refund from an owner? Would be interested to know how they're 'judging' it...
Yes presume it’s if a guest contacts them. Likewise if you’ve had guests accept a 50% refund you should contact HA and get your Merit badge!
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Don't know whether this is relevant to HA, but interesting.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/airbnb- ... rus-losses