Sykes Cottages Unhappy Customers Page

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Tremewan

Sykes Cottages Unhappy Customers Page

Post by Tremewan »

We've just become aware of this Facebook group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827406 ... ref=search.

Having two properties with Sykes, we are very concerned that the Sykes brand is now toxic. I strongly recommend owners who have properties with Sykes to take a look at this Facebook page. Given the strength of feeling of many guests, we intend to disassociate ourselves from this company by withdrawing from their services. Within the next 48 hours it looks as though the cause will be taken up by consumer rights websites and radio/TV programmes. Ask yourselves if you seriously want to be part of the fallout from this disaster. Rightly or wrongly, any owners who market through them will be tarred with the same brush.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Thank you for posting this.

I would urge everyone to read this Facebook page, you really need to click on the comments below posts to get the true picture. I promise you you won’t be disappointed.It’s a master class in terrible management.

I suspect we will hear a lot more about what Sykes have been doing and sadly, it is so bad it might result in some negative governing of our industry being introduced.

Edited to add: I am not listed with Sykes
Last edited by zebedee on Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You may have bigger concerns. The whole thing smells like a company that is possibly about to go under.

From the owners contact:
1.2.When we accept a booking, a legally binding contract for the letting of the Property will be entered into directly between you and a holidaymaker incorporating the booking terms and conditions

From the booking terms and conditions:
6.6 When we accept payment for all or any part of the Rental Charges, you will no longer owe a debt to the Owner or us for the associated amount.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

I have, as of yesterday, given notice to Sykes that I am withdrawing my property for their site. My wife's cottage (also with Sykes) will follow. This is the text of the email I sent :

Dear Sir or Madam, I am sorry to say that, as a result of the total lack of support shown to owners during the current Covid-19 outbreak, I will regrettably be terminating my contract with Sykes for my property ref. 1003707 4 Clarks Yard.

I will, of course, honour any bookings that I am contracted to do, however I seriously doubt that the earlier ones will take place anyway, given the statement of the government's Deputy Chief Medical Officer on the 29th March that the travel restrictions within the UK will probably have to stay in force for "at least six months".

I would be grateful if you would confirm receipt of this email as soon as possible.

Regards,
David Matthews
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Please let us know how long they say it will be before they will release you from the contract, and any other news.

I am not with Sykes, but other members of the forum have struggled to leave this company - it’s taken years after they gave notice.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Our owners contract says that we have to honour all EXISTING bookings for 12 months from the date they receive our written instructions. It also says that they can make NEW bookings within the initial 6 months.

The following bit I'm slightly unclear about : Forgetting Covid-19 for a moment, if a guest decides to move the dates of their booking from within 6 months to a later date that falls between 6 and 12 months, does that count as a new booking or simply an existing booking that has been moved (i.e that we still have to honour)? This is highly relevant with all the shifting of bookings that is going on currently. Any thoughts?