Corvid 19

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Sorry SPJ. You can't escape. Soap in Spanish is "jabon". So you still need to manage the Scottish "ch". Unless you're in Catalunya, the Balearics or Valencia where it is "sabo".
Manclass

Post by Manclass »

Im stuck on what to use to clean kitchen worktops made from Granite or Quartz... Anything with Bleach is out of the question, I've bought the 70% alcohol cleaner which lists lots of things you can use it on but doesn't mention worktops... Anybody any advice ?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Would the soap not be ok? Get a cloth in as hot water as possible, really ring it out then smother it in soap - wipe the soap all over the granite / quartz. Leave for 5 minutes to work, then rinse with another clean cloth again soaked in hot water and well rung out.
You can use baking soda to do a final clean, according to this site I've found.
https://www.granitegold.com/removing-di ... t%20cloth.

Is the granite not sealed? See article
CSE

Post by CSE »

Manclass wrote:Im stuck on what to use to clean kitchen worktops made from Granite or Quartz... Anything with Bleach is out of the question, I've bought the 70% alcohol cleaner which lists lots of things you can use it on but doesn't mention worktops... Anybody any advice ?
Never heard about that. But the interweb states that if the stone surface has been sealed then you cannot use bleach. Soap and hot water is suggested as an alternative.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

It really is a question of how much control you have over how your property is cleaned. If the Spanish government lay down rules, they are not going to be too concerned about the sheen on your worktop.
These worktops are generally referred to as "marmol" although they aren't usually marble. Nearly every cleaner I have come across and householders in general will clean the kitchen, bathrooms and hard floor surfaces with bleach. Spanish bleach is milder than UK and sells under a euro for 2 litres. My son worked as cook in a restaurant in his Uni days and they used buckets of bleach.
In the current Covid-19 situation small shopkeepers are using bleach for the main clean and some type of alcohol spray for the mid-day clean.
For rented motorhomes (which are sold out for summer 2020) they are using industrial sprays of hydrogen peroxide mist. For most of the pics you see in internet of 2 guys with hazmats and sprayguns, this is what they are spraying. In Spanish it's called peroxido oxigenado but most people know it as"agua oxigenada". Traditionally it comes in a small milder bottle and is used for cuts and bruises like UK folk might use Dettol.
So unless you can exert clear control over your cleaners, you can kiss goodbye to the nice shine on your work surfaces. But you can be pretty sure that whatever Spanish cleaner you employ, your home will be substantially de-bugged.
If you are in an apartment you will often encounter a nice perfumed smell in the stairway after the cleaners have been. That's because they put a hearty squirt of cheap cologne on the stairs then mop down. As well as the nice smell it contains a high % of alcohol and is one of the recommended quick-clean options against Covid-19 if the % is high enough.
Manclass

Post by Manclass »

Im really not concerned if my worktop has a sheen or not, that's the least of my worry's, my concern is how to make sure they are clean and safe without ruining my counter top..Ive already had to replace it once as I used a cleaner than contained bleach so I don't want to make this expensive mistake again.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If your work surfaces got damaged by bleach something was wrong.
Granite is cannot be damaged by household bleach.
Maybe the work surface was/is marble. That can be damaged by household bleach
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Have to agree with CSE. I had granite worktops and bleach was no problem. I also tended to use those kitchen wipes too....anti bacterial. No issues.

I also had unpolished marmol in some of the bathrooms....again I used bleach on occasion (more normally bathroom cleaner).

Mousie
x
CSE

Post by CSE »

It has been announced that each comunidad autónoma will be issuing cleaning instructions for the Hostelería.
Don't forget to inform your guests that marks will have to be used if 1.5m social distancing cannot be achieved when in a public space.
Imagine guest going home with a un-taned lower part of their face! :lol:
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I've been watching all my usual sources and there's nothing coming up on a "protocool higenico" for holiday lets. For a "casa rural" this is in the "alojamiento turistico" bunch but holiday lets are not. The problem is that all forms of rental are considered gains made on property that you own. They are not considered to be a business unless you have over a certain number and declare VAT (IVA). On the tax declaration they do not appear as earnings from work or business. They are property rental not holiday accommodation.
I have a feeling that the summer could pass before the government feel any need to get involved. They only get uptight if you're not paying taxes. In the meantime it goes something like this; if what you do adheres to the rules set out for each phase of de-escalation it's OK. And that applies more to your guests than to you. If they're allowed to come and move around, there don't seem to be any special rules about holiday lets. It's going to be more or less as if they were coming to a second residence. So basically if you can come, your guests can come in your place. And whatever cleaning is involved will be the same as if you were handing over the property for residential rental.
This is just my personal opinion.
And just for the record my comments about bleach and how to pronounce it in Spanish were just my droll Scottish sense of humour.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Several of our Spanish friends have told us that the Spanish are desperately looking for rural houses to rent at the moment. It may be that rural holiday lets become far more popular than hotels while the Covid situation continues. Given the history of the hotel industry lobby pressuring the government to crack down on holiday lets, I can't see us escaping any new 'cleaning protocols' in the long term.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Gazpacho wrote:I can't see us escaping any new 'cleaning protocols' in the long term.
I'm all for guidance but in reality how will any protocol be checked and enforced?

Hundreds of 'inspectors' cannot simply be conjured up, trained and then let loose. How will they make appointments on changeover days and with whom? Where will they get this information from?

There are dozens of properties in my area cleaned by retired Doris and her dirty dishcloth. At best we can hope Doris takes a bottle of bleach with her.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Not cleaning, as per protocols and if one of the guests falls ill is when the dodo hits the fan, even the virus has not been picked up from your property.

Something for you all to think about... Not cleaning as your guests expect, especially in these (virus) times: Is that not incompetent? Even displaying disdain towards your customers?
Marks

Post by Marks »

CSE wrote:Not cleaning, as per protocols and if one of the guests falls ill is when the dodo hits the fan, even the virus has not been picked up from your property.

Something for you all to think about... Not cleaning as your guests expect, especially in these (virus) times: Is that not incompetent? Even displaying disdain towards your customers?
Who said anything about not cleaning as per protocols?

There will be a myriad of places that any guest could pick up the virus: train, taxi, plane, bus, airport, shops, bars, restaurants, pools.....hundreds of surfaces and things they will come in to contact with....just the same as picking up a cold, flu or stomach bug.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

The problem is not whether or not to follow the protocol but that the private holiday let sector in Spain does not have a cleaning protocol for Covid-19 and it's looking increasingly likely that there will not be one published by the government.
Lots of people don't even know if they can be sure of having the cleaners they had last year.
So the answer is quite simple; establish a protocol among yourselves via Lay my Hat. Why not have the LMH Cleaning Protocol? I am fairly sure that LMHatters will produce a better one anyway.
Why not start with everybody's best friend and copy ABNB.
https://assets.contentstack.io/v3/asset ... st_(1).pdf
Their idea of a buffer between lets might also be worth thinking about.
As I have already posted, there is a no-mans-land between the large holiday rental complexes (which are included in the tourist industry) and private holiday rentals which are not included when they speak about the various phases of de-escalation.
In the meantime you will need to be ready to go when travel opens up again. You need to be ready.
I must be blunt. A lot of owners are faffing around hoping something magic is going to pop up, debating what's the best cleaning agent etc.
If anything is to be learned from the Covid fiasco, it's that nobody was prepared.
Lay My Hat is probably the best source of professional-thinking owners. So I propose you put together the LMH Cleaning Protocol.