CORONAVIRUS GRANT

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Ludwig

CORONAVIRUS GRANT

Post by Ludwig »

I understand that a coronavirus-related grant is available for FHLs that are subject to business rates and that these can be applied for via your council’s website. The application process seems straightforward but you need to confirm on the final page that the property “is not used for personal purposes”. Does anyone know whether this means that the FHL is NEVER used for personal purposes (which would presumably disqualify all FHLs I’d assume)?
Many thanks in advance.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

We received an email from Norfolk County Council saying we were eligible for the grant. A letter arrived late last week which included a link to their online application form. There was also a tick box exercise to make sure you were eligible. One of the questions asked about personal use. I did a bit of googling and some expert in this field thought that it unlikely the odd day or weekend of personal use would be viewed as as reason to stop the grant, but that was purely his opinion of course. Another thing I came across was somebody stating that this grant was only available if the business was your sole income. There is no mention of this being a criteria on any Government website and it was certainly not asked on the online application so I think that must have been incorrect.
newtimber

Re: CORONAVIRUS GRANT

Post by newtimber »

Ludwig wrote:...but you need to confirm on the final page that the property “is not used for personal purposes”. Does anyone know whether this means that the FHL is NEVER used for personal purposes (which would presumably disqualify all FHLs I’d assume)?
Many thanks in advance.
I think there are lots of FHLs that aren't used for personal purposes and are run as businesses with onsite owners who obviously wouldn't want to use them for personal purposes as they have their own house a few yards away!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Are they just checking to make sure that circumstances have not changed with regards to the property?
It’s more than a year since the last review when business rates were reassessed.

More interestingly, if the government had calculated the number of nil rated business rate FHL - who gets the money if the form from the LA puts people off applying???

The government guidance that was first issued said no one needed to apply, it would be paid automatically via the local authorities. The form should just confirm who you are, the billing code and your bank details.
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

The form from my council was very basic- ref no from business rates, name address etc, vat no and companies house no (both N/A for me) and bank details. No mention of private usage. I received no notification of application and the grant was paid into my account about 2 weeks after filling in the form- again, no notification- it just appeared!
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

We have received grants from two different local authorities. Both were really straightforward online applications. Upon pressing "send" we received email acknowledgements with claim numbers. About a week later (three working days in the first case) the cash appeared in our accounts. Sorry to hear that some people are experiencing problems but hats off to Harrogate and Scarborough! :D
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Same here, do not remember any question about private use.
Money in bank about 5 days after form submitted.
Breckland, Norfolk.
:)
J&K
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Press articles like this are not going to help our case : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-52316003
Parrotperson

Post by Parrotperson »

had ours from Northumberland CC.

surely when these things are scrutinised it will become obvious who rents and who doesn't

We can prove 250+ days of rental per year. 2nd home owners who claim business rates and get this grant won't be able to show enough rental?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

It's only 140 days available and let for 70 days as opposed to 210 days available 105 days let in England.

If the Welsh government don't like it then mybe they should have aligned with England. Seems a bit rich complaining about the rules they have created.
hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

Still nothing from Herefordshire.
The latest update on their website (now from a couple of weeks ago) says they are working to put systems in place to identify businesses who should receive grants... :roll:
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

It seems Welsh councils are trying to wriggle and squirm out of paying them. Keeping fingers crossed that they behave decently.
july

Welsh Coronavirus Grants

Post by july »

It seems the welsh councils are not rushing to pay grants! Anyone else having issues?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Yep in Conwy
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Yes also in Conwy. They are telling us nothing. Anyone would think it was their money.

I've now emailed our Assembly member to ask what is going on