Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Will we be open this summer? Views please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Will we be open this summer? Views please Reply with quote

I have been asked to rent my house for the next 6 months to a keyworker, I have bookings throughout the summer which I would have to cancel, but will these bookings even happen?

I know no one has a crystal ball but what are people's views. Is this summer a right off?
Drax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A difficult prediction to make shamac.
At present there is no indication when this 'shutdown' will end. Perhaps if we look to our European neighbours to see when they are planning to open up their tourist industry (I believe I have read that Spain hopes to start up their holiday centres in July/August. Please correct me if I am wrong) this may give us a rough guide to when our tourist industry starts up again.
However before holiday cottages can open up for business all other tourist related businesses, pubs, cafes, restaurants, holiday attractions etc will have to be allowed to open as well.
You have a difficult decision to make shamac. If you take in the 'key worker' you may get 6 months rent (a 'bird in the hand') but by doing that you risk alienating your guest if the 'lockdown' ends in the interim.
We have bookings for July, August and September but I suspect these will have to be cancelled.
Without appearing to be too pessimistic, we are reconciled to 2020 to being a write off.
Norfolk Canary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts........
If you will get the Government grant just go on as you are. If you wonít get it I would be tempted to contact your existing bookings offering full refunds to enable a key worker to take it over. I canít believe anybody would complain under those circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> UK & Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: