Managing the changeover - sharing our thoughts here

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote:I know you say you don't want to have to buy new ones, but would somewhere like Ikea have cheap basic ones that might not last forever, but would give you an easier life? I can't help feeling that we're going to be continuing with life like this for some time.
It's not the cost of the duvets that's the problem. Because I cannot store them inside the cottages due to lack of storage space, it means I have to load up the car and then carry 10 double/king size duvets to my house and up the stairs every changeover ...
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Ouch! In fact they shouldn't stay in the cottage anyway - they might get contaminated.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks for your link Sam - every additional bit of information helps. Like the instruction to roll up bedding without shaking away from you, so as not to get it on you.

Although there is advice elsewhere that guests should strip their own beds, in fact because I now have time between each visit I'm going to ask them to leave everything because I can make sure the bedding is treated according to the protocol. My first task will be to open all windows and air. Then I will work bed by bed and strip the bedding in the way advised and take straight to the washing machine. Normally I would have two machines on the go - cottage and house. But I'm keeping everything out of our space and only using the cottage equipment. This is why I'm so grateful for having at least a week now between each booking. I don't know how those of you who have quick changeovers are going to manage.
IV63

Post by IV63 »

Everyone's situation will be slightly different and how we each handle change over really has to start from our own risk assessment.

The mumsnet discussion mentioned is illuminating and at times contradictory, luckily that is not our customer profile (ours are almost entirely couples) I really feel for those of you dealing with family groups! Just the thought of toys....

Only service changes we are planning are to not agree any requests for early check in, moving to contactless self check in rather than meet and greet (we will say hello from a distance but that's all) and suspending our laundry service.

We live on site but will discourage guest visits to the main house as much as possible. Normally we take payment in person by card, but that will be handled online in advance now.

We are intending to allow a 24hr fallow period between guests, which should reduce the risk of transfer from soft furnishings. As per the guidance we will rotate things that people come into prolonged close contact with i.e. toppers, duvets and pillows, but not worry about sofas and curtains. Fortunately the virus does not last long on absorbent surfaces. Worst are plastic and stainless apparently.

In addition to bathrooms all frequent contact surfaces will be disinfected with a disinfectant that is tested to EN14476 (worth noting that not all domestic products are up to the job)

Kitchen stuff will all go through the dishwasher, rest of the kitchen will be pretty much as normal, paying extra attention to knobs and handles.

We have guest information books in the units that we will replace with a laminated card of the essential info and a link to the full document as a PDF on our website.

Similarly will remove the folders of leaflets, lots of places are shut anyway and most people use the internet as second nature now.

Not decided yet on things like salt pepper and sugar.

Also not sure on asking guests to strip beds, in many ways it would be better done by us as we have more control over what is done and how. For example I don't want to find the mattress stripped of all protection layers and the dirty stuff dumped on it.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

IV63 wrote:
Also not sure on asking guests to strip beds, in many ways it would be better done by us as we have more control over what is done and how. For example I don't want to find the mattress stripped of all protection layers and the dirty stuff dumped on it.
I thoroughly agree. I want to keep control of how I manage bedding, so they will be asked NOT to strip beds (some like to in normal circumstances as they think it helps me - it rarely does!)
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Right - books are out, DVDs are out, games are out. The cottage is looking a little sad, so I've had a thought - especially as I try to always have new stuff for returners.
From now onwards, through to September, we'll pretty much have heat and sun. So stuff that's outside is going to be disinfected pretty well by the sunshine. That means that I'm going to get some wooden outdoor games. The virus doesn't linger on wood like it does on plastic and metal and the pieces will be easy to clean.
My stripped down cottage clearly shows our guests we're taking this seriously and doing our best to protect them. The outdoor wooden games are just for a bit of fun.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I see the advice is to spray the carpets with virucidal disinfectant mist? What is this and where do I get some? I've looked at foggers and they all seem to require professional training to use.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Has anyone seen any official guidance for England yet?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-ad ... -providers

Hasn't been updated since 5th June, and so relates to only accommodating key workers, not protocols on re-opening.

We're also adopting the policy of keeping a week empty between bookings, but don't want to just assume that it means that's enough.

Dave
Open for business.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The current gov guidance is here

and the relevant link to cleaning info etc is towards the end of the document:
Where to obtain further guidance
This document has been prepared by the Department for Digital, Culture Media & Sport (DCMS) with input from members of the Visitor Economy Working Group; UKHospitality; VisitBritain; UKInbound; Association of Leading Visitor Attractions; Association of Event Organisers; the Meetings Industry Association, the Events Industry Board; Country Land and Business Association; trades unions and the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and in consultation with Public Health England (PHE) and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Further guidance
UKHospitality

National Caravan Council, British Homes and Holiday Parks Association and the Caravan and Motorhome Club have resources on their websites with advice and further information

Professional Association of Self Caterers, B&B Association, Short Term Accommodation Association and Country Land and Business Association all have further information available on their websites.
ie the govt aren’t sticking their heads over the parapet to provide any detailed advice, but referring to other sources - in our case the PASC guidance.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

greenbarn wrote: ie the govt aren’t sticking their heads over the parapet to provide any detailed advice, but referring to other sources - in our case the PASC guidance.
Which is why the French tourist boards advice is so useful, because it is giving detailed advice. I posted an English translation in this thread and here it is again:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WGy ... sp=sharing

When I first posted it I didn't get the sharing rights correct, but I think it's ok now.

You may find it overly prescriptive, but at least it's giving practical advice that you can say yes I'll use that or no that's OTT.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

SPJ wrote:
Which is why the French tourist boards advice is so useful, because it is giving detailed advice. I posted an English translation in this thread and here it is again:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WGy ... sp=sharing

When I first posted it I didn't get the sharing rights correct, but I think it's ok now.

You may find it overly prescriptive, but at least it's giving practical advice that you can say yes I'll use that or no that's OTT.
Thanks it's very good; but it says you shouldn't use a vacuum cleaner. How else do you clean carpets etc?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

newtimber wrote:Thanks it's very good; but it says you shouldn't use a vacuum cleaner. How else do you clean carpets etc?
Which is why those of us who are using these instructions recognise that we also need to use common sense. I am definitely continuing to use my vacuum cleaner but using it at the beginning of my cleaning cycle (I'm fortunate I have at least a week between guests) so hopefully everything has time to settle. Then right at the end I go over every touch surface with a final disinfectant wipe.
Replacing vacuum filters frequently also may help.
I am removing the vacuum from the cottage while my guests are there and just asking them to use the (new) broom and/or dustpan and brush to clear any dry spills while they are there. Damp stuff, they can use the J-cloths and bar soap I'm also providing to mop up/clean up.
If I understand correctly, the vacuum cleaner does something called "aerosolling" which causes the virus to spray further in finer particles. A broom/brush doesn't do this, so the virus isn't spread so far.
I think everyone is learning this first summer, including the people who are writing these protocols.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

newtimber wrote:Thanks it's very good; but it says you shouldn't use a vacuum cleaner. How else do you clean carpets etc?
You could try a Ewbank (every housewife's dream in the 1940's and 50's), because they don't rely on creating a vacuum and blowing out air. I could hardly believe it, but updated versions are available on Amazon (UK).
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Oh Thanks Andrew, that's useful to know. I could leave that in the cottage for our guests to use. Would never have occurred to me to go looking.
PS: just been onto Amazon fr. bought a bissel all surface for 29.99 including postage. arriving on the 29th.
So now I will have happy guests who will want to do their bit to help keep the cottage clean.
:D :D :D
AnneP

Post by AnneP »

I am late to this one. I have purchased disposable mattress and pillow protectore, and tea towels. At the end of the stay guests will be asked to strip beds and place all laundry in a box (I can launder this a few days later). All protectors and tea towels are to be binned. I have left gaps between guests and have staggered guests between my two gites so I dont have to worry about pillows and duvets or any soft furnishings. I have pared down items in the gite to make cleanign easier. I have also reorgansied what I provide so bought lots of small plastic bottles (travel size) from a fab shop called Action. Each welcome pack contains small bottles with hand saniteiser, hand soap, washing up liquid, fabric softener. I have also bought in sachets of coffee, sugar, pepper and salt. I have gone a bit mad but I feel more comfortable with the arrangements I have made. I also bought 20l of hand sanitiser! It will last me for years I am sure but I feel happier knowing I have a good supply for me and for my guests.