Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Period of grace

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhCottage

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Period of grace Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm looking for clarity on the period of grace and hoping to find some from your collective wealth of experience.

We opened our cottage last July and have rented the place out but it's not had 105 days yet. We've let out to family but I understand those don't count if you give a discount. Obviously coronavirus has scuppered our plan to catch up over the Easter and May holidays.

From the research I've done it seems that the period of grace requires you to have one full year first, which seems unfair. Surely you struggle most with bookings your first year. There's a section on HMRCs website that says about being closed for part of the year but is that after the 105 days? Plus being closed so long I'm not sure if we've been open the full 210 days, I'll have to check!

I've asked a friend who's an accountant but unfortunately although she can check our books she doesn't know what to do about coronavirus!

Thanks
Perran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Period of grace question Reply with quote

Yes, you can only make a period of grace election if you have already met the criteria.

We could not meet the requirements in our first year, as I am sure a lot of holiday lets can't, because you are just beginning and you have not had many guests. There won't be any repeat business, in our first year we only had a few weeks booked.

I treated the income as an ordinary rental property income, until it met the criteria.
GhCottage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Fortunately once lockdown lifted we were able to get the last few bookings we needed 🙂
ianh100

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the measure is for tax years not calendar years so you have until the end of march to make your number for this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> UK & Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: