Covid - rules for cleaning accommodation

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
elena

Covid - rules for cleaning accommodation

Post by elena »

Hi!
I've just had someone from UK (probably unlikely to travel now anyway) asking about the measures we will be taking to ensure the house is sanitised before they arrive.

I've seen guidelines from Gites de France (which we're not a part of) but has anyone found a link to government guidelines as to what we are expected to do?

Thanks!
Elena

www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
leon

Post by leon »

No.
But Gites de France -
Voici un résumé des grands principes du protocole sanitaire mis en œuvre pour le nettoyage des hébergements Gites de France :
Aération des pièces avant et pendant le ménage,
Nettoyage des surfaces puis désinfection avec produit homologué. Une attention particulière est portée aux éléments fréquemment touchés : poignées de porte, interrupteurs, télécommandes…,
Lavage du linge de maison à température élevée,
Lavage de la vaisselle à température élevée,
Filtre de climatisation nettoyé,
Les documents papier, les accessoires textiles non nécessaires (coussins, plaids…) sont enlevés du logement.
Tous les contacts que les propriétaires auront avec leurs hôtes respecteront strictement les règles de distanciation sociale.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Elena, you may find this useful. From the National Association of Tourism Organisations ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10w2Mur ... EHwHw/view
farley

Post by farley »

Thank you for this SPJ.
Having read the document I’m a bit confused as to how we clean without a vacuum cleaner?
Any ideas?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

No. As I now have no quick changeovers and I have at least a week between each I think I will use a vacuum cleaner since that's the best way of cleaning sofas, mattresses etc (we don't have carpets all are floors are tiled) but I'll do the vacuuming early in the week and then do all the wiping over surfaces, cleaning floors etc towards the end.
If you do have a quick changeover, I can only suggest using a damp/nearly dry cloth thoroughly rubbed over a bar of soap (frequently) and just wipe everything fabric that can't be washed down with that. I use that every time we bring something into the house.

Having quickly skimmed through this, I'm tempted to say "I told you so!" to those of you who thought I was going over the top with my suggestions on this thread ...
viewtopic.php?t=29423
... but I won't because that would be mean. :wink:
leon

Post by leon »

I had never heard of the National Association of Tourism Organisations. Having googled them I still don't know anything about their identity except the name of the founder and the date the Association was created: March 2020. Their advice might be valuable (or not) but it certainly doesn't hold any authority.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Leon, this is what they say about themselves. They have a history - just that it is split across three earlier organisations

ADN Tourisme est née le 11 mars 2020 du regroupement des trois fédérations historiques des acteurs institutionnels du tourisme, Offices de Tourisme de France, Tourisme & Territoires et Destination Régions.

En associant ainsi les représentants des trois échelons territoriaux métropolitains et ultramarins (offices de tourisme, comités départementaux et régionaux du tourisme), ADN Tourisme représente, au niveau national, les forces conjuguées de près de 1 300 structures représentant 800 millions d’euros de budget et 12 000 salariés.

Tout en tenant compte des compétences partagées et des activités propres à chaque échelon territorial et dans le respect du code du tourisme, ADN Tourisme a pour objectif de proposer à ses adhérents une offre de services innovante et une expertise de qualité. Elle a également pour ambition de développer des partenariats forts avec l’Etat et ses opérateurs, ainsi qu’avec les acteurs privés, dans la perspective d’inscrire son action dans un tourisme innovant et respectueux des territoires.

You may not feel it is necessary, but some of us are looking for guidance as to what is going to be good practice over these coming months. And I for one find it helpful that organisations with experience in the tourism industry are making recommendations and taking the trouble to puiblish them.
leon

Post by leon »

I am wary of sweeping statements which aren't backed up by any serious fact. I would expect, at the least, a list of the "Offices de Tourisme ".
If we don't know what the "organisations with experience in the tourism industry" are, how can we judge their relevance?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Well they list their "other sites" as being offices of tourism and when I clicked through and checked for ours its included in the list. So I am assuming it's all offices of tourism.
leon

Post by leon »

That's good!

Where did you find the list?
I checked "l'office de Tourisme Destination Ile de Ré" and couldn't find any reference to ADN.
Googling "l'office de Tourisme Destination Ile de Ré" "ADN Tourisme" gave me "Aucun résultat trouvé pour "l'office de Tourisme Destination Ile de Ré" "ADN Tourisme" " but that is probably the only tourist office not included. (If yours is included in the list all the others must be too.)
I'm pleased to see that they don't want me to throw out all my cushions.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Go onto the ADN website and down at the bottom is a grey band which includes "nos autres sites"
tourisme.fr is the first site - click on that and then put your locality into their search box.

This is ADN's membership page and the grey band is at the bottom
https://www.adn-tourisme.fr/adherents/
leon

Post by leon »

Thank you.
I can see how the organisation functions but it is not connected to the government.
ADN states "Ce guide vient en complément des documents établis et mis à disposition par le
Gouvernement." It would be useful to see these documents which have been "made available". Were you able to find any?
I haven't been able to.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Pleasure. I'm surprised you think this organisation is "not connected to government" since (as I understand it) tourist offices are public bodies. Also, seems to me that some of the other bodies on the following list are quasi-governmental.
https://www.adn-tourisme.fr/communique- ... actualise/

I maybe wrong, but there certainly were a series of "governmental" papers published earlier aimed at hotels and restaurants covering the types of chemical etc they needed to use for cleaning (I forget exactly when, but they were posted somewhere here and I glanced at them and lost the will to live!)

I suggest Leon if you still have doubts as to the validity of the ADN work that you pursue it further with them directly. There are several contact names in the pdf file. You then will be able to choose for yourself whether to follow this or not.
I accept it is not mandatory, but it does seem to put what needs to be done in a very practical (and understandable) way - even if farley and I are struggling to work out how we are NOT going to use a vacuum cleaner. I certainly will be using it as my checklist. Fortunately I now do not have any bookings until mid July so there's still time for revision / fine-tuning and further learning.
Circé

Post by Circé »

On vacuum cleaning, I can't see that sweeping a floor is any better than hoovering in in terms of flying particles.
AirBnb recommends
"Empty the vacuum cleaner after every cleaning. You should wipe down the vacuum cleaner with disinfectant, along with appliances like your dishwasher and washing machine."
Other sites have said change the bag and filters after each clean, which makes sense.
With inter-country bickering about quarantine currently going on I am taking a very long view of lets. Nobody is coming in the next few weeks, that's for sure!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Fair point Circé