Cancellation Terms

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Cancellation Terms

Post by Sam V »

What are your current situation payment and cancellation terms for your bookings?

My ‘normal’ terms are along the lines of; 50% of deposit refunded after seven days. - Ive now waived this until further notice.

Then final balance and security deposit due eight weeks before arrival, non refundable on cancellation, with exception to security deposit and any extras. If any of the dates are re-booked then a refund will issued only for those dates at the re advertised rate.

Im now trying to be more flexible, offering a full refund if cancellation is directly linked to the virus; flight cancellation, quarantine situations, border closure, etc. but only up to seven days before arrival, otherwise full payment terms still apply as above.

However, I am still expecting my payment terms to be adhered to.

I have (very regular) guests due to fly out on 27 July who are now overdue the balance payment and have emailed me following my payment reminder, they might still be in a situation to fly out and will the villa still be available for those dates. Im bit confused with her response. If she cancels early enough (like now!)I could very likely get another booking, but 7 days to re book is tight, do I tell her she still has to pay or tell her if she decides not to pay ill re advertise and there’s no guarantee the villa will still be available. All getting a bit of an ‘Ugh!’ moment,

Have I now set my cancellation too late? It was all done at the start of this to try and maintain some confidence with my current bookings. I need other like minds. Im hating all this right now on top of all the cleaning, etc needs to be put in place, re-writing Booking t&cs, etc. on top of other stuff trying to deal with in my life.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I don't know what to suggest. I've been stung a couple of times, defered peoples balance until better news which is now and they now say they aren't coming anyway! As you say its then a bit tight to re-book..............think maybe its better to take the balance at the right time but one would refund if borders were still closed etc
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

My head is spinning over this!

I may have to just be blunt and say to all this season's guests that I have to change what I am doing again, and I will need to know asap or at least (say 3 weeks to arrival) if they are still keen to go ahead with the booking or cancel with full refund.

I cant afford to miss out on other booking opportunities if they currently cancel too late with no income at all, but also say if they cancel then change their mind, as perhaps government have changed travel restrictions, and if the dates are still available they can reinstate the booking.

I'm also putting an email of brief details of all the measures we have to put in place for cleaning, items having to be removed, no mid stay clean, put on your own linen, potential self isolation, and that they will have to wear a mask everywhere as well as shoes on beaches, etc. lots of places closed, oh! and quarantine on return!

If it was me, with all the restrictions, etc. I think I'd wait until next year and hope restrictions are greatly reduced or lifted!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I don't think there will be quarantine, think that will be lifted end June or with the 'air bridges'
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

roxytoo wrote:I don't think there will be quarantine, think that will be lifted end June or with the 'air bridges'
Possibly not, but while its still in place....

Marks

Post by Marks »

I will not refund a deposit. I have moved balance due dates for July and early August bookings to 3 weeks before arrival. If they cannot come I offer to move to next year, new booking to finish by the same date as this year's, deposit rolls over.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
leon

Post by leon »

"offer to move to next year, new booking to finish by the same date as this year's, deposit rolls over."
Are people booking with this condition?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

We have done the same as Marks, except more generous about the final balance, payment of which we have reduced for the 2020 season from 8 weeks to just 1 week before the guests' date of arrival. This went down well.

Our 25% initial deposits are strictly non-refundable, and that seems to stir disappointed guests, when their flights are cancelled, into requesting a transfer of their bookings to 2021, in order to save their deposit payments. We have always agreed to this, but have to be very careful not to get an overlap of dates in 2021, which would lead to a double booking nightmare.

In doing all this we are the losers of course, but as so many of our guests are repeat bookers, we need to retain their goodwill.
Marks

Post by Marks »

leon wrote:"offer to move to next year, new booking to finish by the same date as this year's, deposit rolls over."
Are people booking with this condition?
Yes, 6 so far, not a whipser of complaint. All have moved to more or less the same dates as this year.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.