Thoughts on new website welcome

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
JoolsB

Thoughts on new website welcome

Post by JoolsB »

Hi - I’ve put together a website using Wix and would very much welcome your thoughts on it - https://www.greendalecottage.co.uk

We’ll add photos of the inside when the furniture arrives.

Any thoughts on how to promote would be most welcome.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes

Jools :D
Having fun and making memories
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Jools,
Can I suggest you look at your website on a mobile phone? I find the banner saying “book now” across the middle very irritating and it is difficult to scroll around the site and locate what you are looking for.

I’m really sorry, and hope you won’t be offended by the following comments, they are said in the best of intentions.
I know wix websites are free, but I really think you would be so much better with a Promote My Place template . This will cost you under£80 a year (less with my discount code :D ).
The quality of the photos will be much better and most importantly your email address will be hidden from all the spammers just waiting to bombard you with tons of rubbish.
The PMP website will adapt perfectly to mobiles and tablets. You can make it look so much more professional which will bring in more bookings.

(Happy to pm you a discount code if you wish))
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You are going to need a privacy policy and comply with GDPR - the "see our policies" link doesn't go anywhere. And also you need to say how many people you can accommodate on the home page - people aren't going to read a lot of text before they know whether their family will fit.

It's also quite slow to load - look at https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ to see how to speed it up.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Hi Jools,
I hope I don't appear to be too pedantic but I have noticed some spelling mistakes on your Home Page.
You have spelt Holmfirth wrong on your opening paragraph and also have spelt reservoir wrong on both your 'Home' and 'Nearby Attractions' pages.
Also on your Home Page I would spell it 'God's Own County' not 'god's own county'.
I have also noticed that you are fully booked for the whole year. Is this correct?
Your rates show only one price, £47.00 per night. I would put from £47.00 to whatever and also show weekly rates.
Like Zebedee I think Promote My Place would be a better template for your website.
Good luck.
Keep your powder dry.
stewart-sandeman

Post by stewart-sandeman »

My comments are broadly similar - it really is very slow to load which will deter people I am afraid.

A few things that need to be more consistent - is the view "looking out over the fabulous Holme Valley" on the landing page or is it "Views up the magdale valley"

You can currently book it for 10 people - so needs to be a limiter set for 2 people.

I think the more info tab needs a few carriage returns - it looks like a big block of text.

The name of cottage and the photo of the terrace houses seem to jar I am afraid - is it the cottage behind?

hope these comments help you a bit

Peter
stewart-sandeman

Post by stewart-sandeman »

My comments are broadly similar - it really is very slow to load which will deter people I am afraid.

A few things that need to be more consistent - is the view "looking out over the fabulous Holme Valley" on the landing page or is it "Views up the magdale valley"

You can currently book it for 10 people - so needs to be a limiter set for 2 people.

I think the more info tab needs a few carriage returns - it looks like a big block of text.

The name of cottage and the photo of the terrace houses seem to jar I am afraid - is it the cottage behind?

hope these comments help you a bit

Peter
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

I think the quality of the interior photos will be crucial to maximising the impact of your website and making your home stand out from others in the area. I would suggest that photos of the cottage are, to a large extent, more important than photos of the area - the potential guests have already decided on the general location, your mission now is to focus them in on your property!

Like Peter (above), I couldn't identify which property is yours - from the description I was looking for a smaller property, I then wondered if it was an apartment within one of the buildings featured. I believe a close-up of your property is required to allow guests to visualise what they are getting, it will also allow you to better present your own cottage (whilst bins are a fact of life, I found my eye drawn to them in the photo).

It looks like a great location and, from your description, will be great property- good luck with it in the future.

Pete
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Thought to mention that it would help with your SEO efforts if you save the images in your gallery with the keywords you are ranking for. I hope this helps