How much to reduce our rent for each day our pool's green?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
SPJ

How much to reduce our rent for each day our pool's green?

Post by SPJ »

OH took his eye off the ball and we now have a bright green pool and our first guests of the year arriving Saturday. They are driving down and I know one of the first things they are going to want to do is swim.

Hoping for the best, but planning for the worst, if he can't get it back to crystal clear in 2 1/2 days, what do you suggest I take off their rental for each day they can't use the pool?
Sadly they are only staying a week. My weekly rental is 940 euros.
Marks

Post by Marks »

If he knows what he is doing it will be crystal by the time they arrive.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
farley

Post by farley »

Hi SPJ
Probably best to empty and refill the pool then you’re guaranteed sparkling water and you won’t have unhappy guests.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Hi Marks - you're right, he's getting there. :)

Hi Farley, thanks for the thought - touch wood, looks like it won't be necessary. That's what he said and I grumped at the thought that our lovely warm water (heated just by the sun) would be lost. I've done a lot of grumping!!! Poor man.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

Pour 10 litres of rattrapage in, give it a good brush and run the pump for the next 48 hours.

Be aware that you won’t get an accurate chlorine reading using check strips for a few weeks afterwards, so continue to shock as normal.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks LotBoy. He's there with the colour. Now just a bit cloudy.
farley

Post by farley »

That’s a relief.
:D
teapot

Post by teapot »

LotBoy47 wrote:Pour 10 litres of rattrapage in.
What is rattrapage?
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
CSE

Post by CSE »

teapot wrote:
What is rattrapage?
search and you will find!
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produit ... 1401563261
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

teapot wrote:
What is rattrapage?
https://www.c-piscine.com/fr/traitement ... kPEALw_wcB
teapot

Post by teapot »

I did search but the term just gave literature and phrases, at no point did it link to a product. This is also a term I have not seen before despite many years in the pool industry. It adds hardness to the water courtesy of the calcium so if you have hard water caution is advised.
The product is calcium hypochlorite which is the strongest form of dry chlorine. An important point is Never mix this with other forms of chlorine as it can explode.
The same effect can be achieved with liquid chlorine ( eau de Javel). It is the process of raising the chlorine level by the addition of any form of chlorine to choc the pool. This form is unstabilised as is eau de Javel. Other forms of chlorine ( choc, lent, multi action) contain stabiliser and can often make the situation worse.
Testing for CYA stabiliser is more important than pH.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Re: How much to reduce our rent for each day our pool's gree

Post by teapot »

SPJ wrote:OH took his eye off the ball and we now have a bright green pool and our first guests of the year arriving Saturday. They are driving down and I know one of the first things they are going to want to do is swim.
Going back to the original issue, what made it turn so quickly?
Phosphate rich water, poor filtration, too high CYA stabiliser level?
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Two weeks with the cover on in rising temperatures and not running the pump enough hours. And an expectation we would have no guests this summer - we've learnt.
teapot

Post by teapot »

SPJ, mine hasn't been looked at for 10 months due to circumstances. No chlorine, no pump and cover on until 17th of June. clear water, just needed a vacuum and connection of pump and dosing unit.
Your water must be nutrient rich in algae terms. Worth checking phosphate levels and whether the filtration is good enough, maybe add some seaKlear or jolly gel.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thanks for the info Teapot. I'll tell His Lordship. This is very much his domain.
I don't know whether the fact that we have a very large silk tree nearby which sheds it's tiny leaves all the time and that the prevailing wind blows them in the direction of the pool makes a difference.
One day, if finances ever permit, he's talking about getting one of these permanent hooped slide-back covers to help keep the pool free of leaves.