Quarantine for returning Brits

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
joddle

Quarantine for returning Brits

Post by joddle »

So now we have the reintroduction of quarantine for all people travelling to the UK from Spain. All seemingly based on what is happening in a few regions in the North. I wonder what the response will be when the UK rate rises in a few weeks time!. Anyway I digress. Now I have a flood of people asking about possible cancellations as also the French are considering closing the land border again and there are talks of quarantine also. I fear all travel restrictions will be "two way" again soon and that quarantine will be required for people travelling in either direction for more than Just Spain and the UK- and which will spell disaster for the so called air corridors which to me always seemed a dangerous idea. So maybe no income this summer after all!!! A lean year indeed.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Britain seriously needs a regime change. Bonkers Boris is out of control. There is a serious outbreak in one of the poorer barrios of Barcelona where not many tourists tend to go. It's quite high in the areas of high immigration and crowded housing. There was a serious outbreak in the fruit picking area of Lleida where the seasonal workers (mostly from Africa) sleep in tents and old warehouses. The measures in place in most regions of Spain are more comprehensive and coherent than in the UK. Our Great Britain almost totally failed to coordinate and enforce the quarantine rule just a couple of weeks ago. And yet they have declared a new "unmanageable" quarantine on people returning from the WHOLE of Spain. They need to "borrar" Boris. Just rub him out and start again. The Tories did it to Maggie and if they want to retain credibility they need to get a credible government in place soon. We got a sympathetic email from my sister-in-law this morning saying how sorry she was to here that we're in lockdown again. It's mad. They're just jumping from one daft idea to another and nobody really understands what's happening.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

After losing most summer bookings in March/April I managed to re book most properties again. Now it looks as if I will be in refund mode again, its madness, in the Alicante area theres not many new cases at all......
joddle

Post by joddle »

I am now waiting to see if the rest of my bookings pull out! - two of them some will be transiting via France and it looks like the border with Spain may soon close again. If they do pull out then I will have had no income for the Q3 period!!!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I'm afraid I think that opening up was all a bit premature and this was in some sense inevitable.

Does Spain really want thousands of non-socially distancing Brits coming when the infection rate is increasing? I know it's only in a few areas at the moment, but there is a delay between catching Covid and showing symptoms and I imagine people living in high Covid areas may get work in the tourism industry.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I am a little surprised Spain is not banning the brits or at least making them quarantine! The economics are complicated but seeing the behaviour of this weekend's influx of UK tourists in our local supermarket makes me think a total ban would be better!!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

newtimber wrote:I'm afraid I think that opening up was all a bit premature and this was in some sense inevitable.

Does Spain really want thousands of non-socially distancing Brits coming when the infection rate is increasing? I know it's only in a few areas at the moment, but there is a delay between catching Covid and showing symptoms and I imagine people living in high Covid areas may get work in the tourism industry.
It is not the Brits that are the problem.
You may need a translator.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/s ... 306184.htm
Look at the map where the greatest number of outbreaks are.
https://i.avoz.es/default/2020/07/26/00 ... ive-01.jpg
In this area the outbreaks are normally from family gatherings. Family members coming from other parts of Spain.

The British government cannot do anything right. In the past criticised for not acting quickly, now when they do they are in the dog house again.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Have to agree with CSE about how it spreads. I don't think that message has ever got home to people. If we pass somebody in the street there isn't enough sustained contact to contaminate. The contamination is within families, in group celebrations, in close working conditions, up-close dancing in night clubs etc. The government of the Canaries has launched an advertising campaign to try to get the message across. It has a family all hugging Grandad and says, "the present you have brought him could be death".
The president of the college of doctors in Barcelona has accused the British government of hypocrisy. Personally, I don't think they have that depth of thought. They swing from lethargy to knee-jerk and then call one careful thought and the other swift action. So now there are thousands of Brits who have no idea whether to turn left or right, go away or stay at home, wear a mask or wear a bikini.
And all the holiday-let owners who (as this site bears witness) have been trying desperately to get it all right, are left wondering if they have reservations or not and if they're going to have to refund etc.
It's a mess and this time the blame falls squarely on the UK Boris Bunch.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

The Spanish governemnt are saying the increase is due to Spanish younger people meeting and partying. Nothing to do with tourists arriving. It's only in certain places and is already contained. Boris def has this wrong. The health minisiter is lobbying the UK goverment to make the Balerics and the Costa Blanca exempt as early as Saturday as theres hardly any cases and no deaths in those areas. Deaths in all of Spain last week was 7 and in the UK 440. There will be a lot more angry people if it gets relaxed quickly as many cancelled holidays today, Tui have cancelled all flights for the next 2 weeks and a lot of people are scrambling to get back. Even though the FO say only essential travel Ryaniar and Jet 2 are ignroing that and saying fly or lose your money, no refund. Life is about risk, eveytime I walk out the door I am at risk of something and I don't believe a lockdown and quarantining is the answer to this
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Are you refunding in full where you can provide the rental accom but the guest has to quarantine on return? Or offering a credit towards future holidays.

I have a late but fully paid up cancellation, readvertised the week but no takers. Renter wants to move booking to next year.

On the flip side I booked a hotel in Barcelona just before lockdown when non essential travel was effectively banned. Non refundable booking, hotel would not refund.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

If they have appropriate insurance taken out before the pandemic they should be covered by their insurance company as it is an official travel advisory (assuming UK guests)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Sunbeam wrote:If they have appropriate insurance taken out before the pandemic they should be covered by their insurance company as it is an official travel advisory (assuming UK guests)
There has been a discussion about that before on LMH. There were none. Don't hide behind that.
Plus the other factor that not even property owners, who thought, they were covered are not getting payments.
The Spanish government a few weeks ago said there were no deaths for a short period. Despite that the comunidad autónomas were still reporting deaths. The past weekend the Spanish government again stopped issuing daily updates. Only releasing them late today.
The Spanish government were criticised on how they handled the situation back at the start, in March, onwards. Now they have made the comunidad autónomas responsible for the health care and any "lockdowns" . The "management" of Spain is not doing very well.
Other EU countries have also given health warnings about visiting Spain.

Roxytoo I have read that JET2 have now stopped flights.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Not sure what I'm supposed to be hiding behind - guessing some kind of misunderstanding of my comment
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Ok thanks German actually, part of party is coming from another country and having to quarantine.

It's a spanish villa so I can provide the service so not a frustrated contract, so i do not have to refund. Renter says he cannot come, he booked it way before any lockdown.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Sorry I meant Easyjet are not cancelling flights, not Jet 2. There is some cover for some insurers, Nationwide is one, for people that have yearly contracts that were taken out before March