Professional photos

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Karen&John

Professional photos

Post by Karen&John »

Hi,

Cracking on with our website (PMP) .
So we need new photos, do we use a professional photographer?
I contacted one locally who charges £250hr + vat (1.5 - hrs work).
Have you paid similar?
Best,
J&K
Drax

Post by Drax »

In the words of Paul Simon from his song 'Kodachrome'; "I've got a Nikon Camera".
I took my own photos to put onto our PMP website (with a Nikon camera) and they look pretty good.
A professional photographer will in all likelihood 'shoot' better photos than mine and the rate you have been quoted is probably the going rate but I could not bear to pay that amount of money for something I can do myself.
Keep your powder dry.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

i think it should be based on how many photos the photographer will present you with - a fixed rate for say 20 photos - mix of interior and exterior. in our experience we can take high quality exterior shots on our phones - but we got a professional photographer for interior shots.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

It's not "just" about who takes the photos but also about seeing what is the best angle from which to take the photos and also about how to dress a room, light a room, move furniture around, etc so that the property looks inviting and people want to stay there. If you go for a professional make sure you get someone who can do that, unless you are confident of your own abilities.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I paid about that for a complete shoot 4 years ago.

I have some very fancy camera equipment myself but I'd have had to buy a wide angle lens and I also wanted another perspective. He took shots from angles I'd never considered.

I also bought the copyright to the pictures so I can use them wherever and however I like.
farley

Post by farley »

Some excellent words of wisdom in previous Posts.
For what it’s worth I’d say if you have an ‘artistic’ eye then have a go at outdoor photos.
Indoor pics are far harder to take, we found lighting is extremely difficult. This is where a good professional photographer will probably take better images.
Always a good idea to look at the photographers work produced for other clients .
A good picture is worth a thousand words so make it sell your dream and meet your guests aspirations :D
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

Thanks for your input guys.

We will go with the photographer and seek his recommendations before his visit (he has access to our current photos).
Also we`ll make sure he will make small changes on the day to achieve the best results.

Best,
J&K
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Karen&John wrote:Thanks for your input guys.

We will go with the photographer and seek his recommendations before his visit (he has access to our current photos).
Also we`ll make sure he will make small changes on the day to achieve the best results.

Best,
J&K
Buy some flowers etc beforehand and if he suggests dressing the property then it's probably a good idea to make sure that it's with things the guests have access to.

I dressed mine with afternoon tea shots using the china I provide and the vases I leave out for them etc etc
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

I find that adding photos to a site is a process rather than an event.

Over the years with property changes and experience you will be constantly adding/changing photos. You don´t want to be calling a pro each time.

So I would save the 250. Buy yourself a camera with a fairly wideangle lense and a small tripod and have some fun becoming a pro yourself!