Renting for 3 months over Winter somewhere warmer

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Norfolk Canary

Renting for 3 months over Winter somewhere warmer

Post by Norfolk Canary »

With retirement coming to us both in a couple of years hopefully the wife and I are contemplating how to live our lives. We live a fairly frugal life generally, apart from my taste for craft beers
We both enjoy walking, cycling, kayaking so have plenty to keep us busy during Summer in the UK but our Winter isn’t so great. We still do these things in Winter but not as often and it isn’t quite the same. We are contemplating going somewhere warmer from say beginning of November through to early March. We could buy a small place I suppose and let it during the Summer months but I am not sure I want the hassle of this and wonder if rental would be simpler and not too expensive. We have a small holiday let in Sheringham already which is fine but I am not sure I want the potential hassle of one in another country.
To my mind the advantage of renting is that one could go to a different place and/or Country each year but if, over time, you found somewhere you absolutely loved you could always revert to the buy/Summer letting thing if you wished.
On the face of it it appears straight forward.
I assume you would have to check your home insurance for clauses regarding it sitting empty for a few months but are there any other potential problems to consider?
Would I be correct in saying that property owners would love a longer term rental over the Winter months and costs would be reasonable? What sort of cost might it be for say three months?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions
Last edited by roxytoo on Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

Many years ago, we had an enquiry from someone who was thinking of 'starting a new life in CY' and wanted a 6 month let.
He's found us on Holiday Lettings
The job worked perfectly for us both.

Just have a dig round HL/TA and other type sites for places that have big winter gaps and pose the question.
Goscar

Post by Goscar »

How about house-sitting? It's something we do during our letting season and would work equally well during the winter months.
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Goscar wrote:How about house-sitting? It's something we do during our letting season and would work equally well during the winter months.
Sounds interesting. How would one go about that?
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Have you considered a house swap?

We have done them many times over the years and I know some people look for longer terms.

We used Guardian Home Exchange but there are others.
Here we go again........