Track and Trace QR code

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
newtimber

Track and Trace QR code

Post by newtimber »

Although we have to record the name of the lead visitor to track and trace, would getting a QR code be quicker for tracking and tracing purposes?

If I have to give the details of the lead guest to T & T, then the team have to manually contact the lead guest who then has to give the names of everyone in their party and T & T then have to phone them up and there might be a significant delay in people being notified.

Any thoughts?
Drax

Post by Drax »

I do not believe FHL owners have to adhere to NHS Track and Trace and displaying the QR Code. Reading the Government Covid 19 Guidelines it states that establishments should collect details of customers. It does not state they must do this.
There are also issues that impact upon data protection. FHL owners must inform guests if they are following Government guidelines regarding Covid 19. For NHS purposes this involves keeping records of their guests for 21 days and the use of the QR Code to notify the NHS if a guest fall ill .
Failure to inform their guest of this procedure would mean the FHL owner is in breach of GDPR if the guest complains that they did want their details to given to the NHS.
Keep your powder dry.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

This from PASC is useful:
‼️Track and Trace compulsory from Friday ‼️
Self-catering operators should be collecting track and trace data at the moment. It becomes a legal requirement for them to collect it this Friday (18th). The 24th is when the QR-based NHS app is meant to go live – but there is no requirement for businesses to use it. The QR code and app is good for high volume places like pubs and restaurants but is of no real benefit to PASC members because they will already be collecting the required information anyway – which is:
Staff.
- the names of staff who work at the premises
- a contact phone number for each member of staff
- he dates and times that staff are at work
Customers and Visitors
-the name of the customer or visitor. If there is more than one person, then you can record the name of the ‘lead member’ of the group and the number of people in the group
- a contact phone number for each customer or visitor, or for the lead member of a group of people
- date of visit, arrival time and, where possible, departure time,
the name of the assigned staff member should be recorded alongside the name of the customer
The vast majority of you will have the customer data in your booking software. The staff data is relatively straightforwards.
You are not allowed to use Tack and trace to gather any additional date, for marketing purpose for example. The gathering of this data does not breach GDPR and you should keep these records for 21 days.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

greenbarn wrote:This from PASC is useful:
Self-catering operators should be collecting track and trace data at the moment. It becomes a legal requirement for them to collect it this Friday (18th). The 24th is when the QR-based NHS app is meant to go live – but there is no requirement for businesses to use it. The QR code and app is good for high volume places like pubs and restaurants but is of no real benefit to PASC members because they will already be collecting the required information anyway
I read this; but my question was that if you get two couples staying and I've only collected the contact details of one of them (the one who booked), is there going to be a delay in the second couple getting notified? If both couples had the app and had scanned the QR code wouldn't the second couple know sooner?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

newtimber wrote:
I read this; but my question was that if you get two couples staying and I've only collected the contact details of one of them (the one who booked), is there going to be a delay in the second couple getting notified? If both couples had the app and had scanned the QR code wouldn't the second couple know sooner?
Good point. I’m sure you’re right, at least in theory as I have no idea how - or if - the T&T system actually works. You’d have all the initial data required by the system in one place.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

newtimber wrote:
greenbarn wrote:This from PASC is useful:
Self-catering operators should be collecting track and trace data at the moment. It becomes a legal requirement for them to collect it this Friday (18th). The 24th is when the QR-based NHS app is meant to go live – but there is no requirement for businesses to use it. The QR code and app is good for high volume places like pubs and restaurants but is of no real benefit to PASC members because they will already be collecting the required information anyway
There are 2 variables here that can both fail.
I would be inclined to do as I am doing and record everyone’s name and address.
Although it wouldn’t apply to my property, it would also put owners in the clear for the rule if 6, which we are kind of expected to police ( a bit).
Drax

Post by Drax »

Keep your powder dry.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Drax wrote:This could be helpful.
www.gov.uk/guidance/maintaining-records ... to-collect[/url]
This refers to data that should be collected rather than must be collected and says for guests it's voluntary and they need not give their details.

Perhaps the compulsory collection of data is not going to be implemented after all?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I see the government have updated the advice https://www.gov.uk/guidance/maintaining ... f-settings and now they say that track and trace applies to:-
hotels and other guest accommodation provided on a commercial basis, including in bed and breakfast accommodation, boats, campsites, caravans, chalets, guest houses, holiday parks, hostels, motels, pubs, sleeper trains and yurts
So no mention of self-catering; but I presume they are "guest accommodation provided on a commercial basis"? And why a yurt, a caravan and a boat should be singled out and not self-catering I don't know.
Drax

Post by Drax »

newtimber wrote:I see the government have updated the advice https://www.gov.uk/guidance/maintaining ... f-settings and now they say that track and trace applies to:-
hotels and other guest accommodation provided on a commercial basis, including in bed and breakfast accommodation, boats, campsites, caravans, chalets, guest houses, holiday parks, hostels, motels, pubs, sleeper trains and yurts
So no mention of self-catering; but I presume they are "guest accommodation provided on a commercial basis"? And why a yurt, a caravan and a boat should be singled out and not self-catering I don't know.
I would agree that FHL's comes under this requirement.
I notice also that the wording has now changed from should to must which means we have to follow this Government instruction (more Big Brother).
I know we collect our guests names, addresses etc prior to their arrival as a matter of normal procedure but I am uncertain what we would do if a guest states that they do not want us to inform NHS Track and Trace of their details.
Keep your powder dry.
Karen&John

Post by Karen&John »

We got a QR code (easy) and will display with note asking those who either have not downloaded the NHS COVID-19 app, or do not wish to scan our code, to leave their contact details.

K&J.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Here is a section from the above link

“By law, you have a number of rights as a data subject, such as the right to be informed, the right to access information held about you and the right to rectification of any inaccurate data that we hold about you.

You have the right to request that we erase personal data about you that we hold (although this is not an absolute right).

You have the right to request that we restrict processing of personal data about you that we hold in certain circumstances.

You have the right to object to processing of personal data about you on grounds relating to your particular situation (also again this right is not absolute).

If you are unhappy or wish to complain about how your information is used, you should contact a member of staff in the first instance to resolve your issue.”

Nothing here about having a right to refuse having your information shared with the Track and Trace.....

In light of today’s news that ONE person who failed to self isolate then went on a pub crawl with mates is responsible for the Bolton situation, I think we have a moral duty to comply.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I'm assuming that if guests scan the QR code then they are sharing their data with the NHS, not us, so the NHS have to comply with GDPR.

I'm going to put the QR code at the front of the house book - I'm assuming that they only need to scan it once and don't need to scan it every time they come in and out of the house. Or do they?

Also, it's not very attractive, so I don't want to hang it on the wall if we don't have to.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Joanna wrote:I'm assuming that if guests scan the QR code then they are sharing their data with the NHS, not us, so the NHS have to comply with GDPR.

I'm going to put the QR code at the front of the house book - I'm assuming that they only need to scan it once and don't need to scan it every time they come in and out of the house. Or do they?

Also, it's not very attractive, so I don't want to hang it on the wall if we don't have to.
You have to verify that they've scanned it though which is a little difficult. You still have to record it manually if they don't have a smart phone.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We can't verify that they've scanned the QR code because, like lots of owners, we're off site & guests let themselves in. Unlike things like chalets' yurts and caravans which are usually on a park where someone checks guests in and there are facilities on site shared with other households.

That makes me think that the QR code isn't really meant for our type of self-catering accommodation. Maybe that's why they don't specifically mention self-catered in the guidance - they're not expecting us to do it.

Which brings us back to the original question - is there any benefit in doing it anyway? I'm starting to think in our case probably not.
As I understand it T&T are only contacting anyone who had more than 15 mins contact with the person. Our guests have no contact with us, our cleaners, or other guests, so T&T wouldn't contact us anyway.

It's more important that guests use it when they're out and about in pubs, etc. I think it's more relevant for on-site owners if they have contact with their guests, or multiple properties where guests might chat to other households.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth