Kitchen design

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Maryec

Kitchen design

Post by Maryec »

We are in the process of renovating an 18th century Suffolk cottage, with a view to letting it as a holiday cottage. We will be putting in a new kitchen. Any recommendations for kitchen suppliers? Also is white the best colour to go for? I like the idea of duck egg or sage but most holiday cottages seem to have white kitchens.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Don't go with what "most holiday cottages go for" - make it your own, be individual - you're not an identikit holiday rental - and stand out. Both duck-egg and sage sound lovely for a country kitchen
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Mine is teal.

Goes with the cottage vibe. A modern white one would look awful
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I agree about using colour. My 1750s cottage has had a recent kitchen and the units are a pale colour.

Make your priority to think about how quick and easy it will be to clean, so no where for crumbs to drop, and easy to wipe down.
Maryec

Post by Maryec »

Thank you. Zebedee, where did you get your kitchen from?

Thanks
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi, it’s a bespoke one made for the kitchen I’m afraid.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I agree that you don't want to go for what most other cottages have - remember that people look at dozens of cottages before they pick one & you want yours to stand out so why not be the one with the pretty duck egg coloured kitchen? And apply the same logic to the rest of the house too. Don't just copy everyone else, you'll just end up being lost in a sea of identikit cottages and make marketing harder.

One of the things I wish I'd known at the start :D
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
CSE

Post by CSE »

Pick one that will not go out of fashion quickly. The same with colour trends.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I would recommend Howdens. It's reasonable quality and price. They also do their own appliances which are competitively priced.

They only work through tradespeople I think, so your kitchen fitter/chippy would have to purchase but they have a wide choice of styles and colour.

We have just had a Howdens kitchen fitted in our house being built in the Dales and so can recommend then from a personal experience.

Mousie
x
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

+1 for Howdens. A big plus is that you can easily get replacement doors and fittings too.
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

I would be wary of high gloss finishes on the doors etc. They show every finger mark and are a nightmare to keep clean without scratching them. We have them in our own kitchen - never again!