Covid Cleaning

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Karen&John

Covid Cleaning

Post by Karen&John »

Last year we operated from July to Nov with back to back bookings.

It was hard work, with 10 man hrs cleaning each changeover (3 bed, 2 bath).
All crockery & Cutlery through dishwasher, carpets sprayed, cushions changed etc etc.
Not sustainable in the long term.

We are planning a slightly less vigorous cleaning program this year, becoming more like normal by the end of the summer.

What are your cleaning plans?

Best,
K&J
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You have to continue to do this type of cleaning until we're told we don't need to.
If you advertise on Airbnb or are members of other tourism schemes, you have to do this and be "Covid Secure"
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We've told our cleaners that we're starting out with the same regime as last year so we've asked them to allow the same amount of time. We're hoping that by the summer, when most adults have been vaccinated, we'll be able to relax it. We'll wait for guidance from someone like PASC before we change anything.

I'm hoping that there will be more facts around just how long the virus is likely to stay viable on surfaces. Over the last few months the emphasis seems to have been mostly on person to person contact. We really need to know if there is as much risk from surfaces as we thought when we set up all these protocols last year.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
zebedee

Re: Covid Cleaning

Post by zebedee »

Karen&John wrote:Last year we operated from July to Nov with back to back bookings.

It was hard work, with 10 man hrs cleaning each changeover (3 bed, 2 bath).
All crockery & Cutlery through dishwasher, carpets sprayed, cushions changed etc etc.
Not sustainable in the long term.

We are planning a slightly less vigorous cleaning program this year, becoming more like normal by the end of the summer.

What are your cleaning plans?

Best,
K&J
Sorry, but there is no guarantee that we will be back to normal by the end if the summer. I wish there was.
Test out what you have been doing against the Pasck guidelines as mentioned by others.
I sadly agree though, whilst we have variants and not everyone vaccinated who knows what the next bit of this journey will be. I have heard experts say that we will still need to maintain a lot of the hygiene practices that have been developed, and even mask wearing again in certain circumstances.

Don’t forget, vaccines are not yet licensed for under 16 years olds, and some not for under 18 year olds. It’s just too early to make your plans, and I very sincerely hope that I am wrong.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Last year we were leaving a gap of at least 2 nights between guests, we had the cleaners carry out additional cleaning but the one thing that was just not practical was cleaning every item in the kitchen. It would take more than a day!

I was hoping that some of the suggestions would have been confirmed to be sensible or not by now. It really felt like the industry rushing out measures to get open last year which I can understand.

There was lots of noise about fogging and other techniques but how can that do anything other than exposed surfaces?

I simply do not believe that centre parks, travelodge and others do anything like the PASC guidelines. Butlins last year was a joke, the places were still filthy.

We must do all that we can to help stop the spread but everything in life has some risk.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

ianh100 wrote:Last year we were leaving a gap of at least 2 nights between guests, we had the cleaners carry out additional cleaning but the one thing that was just not practical was cleaning every item in the kitchen. It would take more than a day!
I think the advice is that everything that is not essential in the kitchen is removed for this reason. So you only provide crockery for the number of guests that can stay - no spares, so it can all fit in 2 runs of the dishwasher - or if not you can swap out one lot and replace with another. Games, appliance instructions etc all removed along with decorative throws etc
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Newtimber

We have done most of that, guides are all electronic (Touchstay). We have removed a number of items. We are washing mattress and pillow protectors at every changeover. Our laundry costs alone have gone from £60 to £120.

One of the things we pride ourselves on is the quality and quantity of kitchen equipment. We have pretty much twice the number of almost everything based on the number of guests. We have two wall cupboards just for glasses. We have all sorts of stuff. It's not much of a holiday if you turn up to a bare kitchen.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

ianh100 wrote:Hi Newtimber

One of the things we pride ourselves on is the quality and quantity of kitchen equipment. We have pretty much twice the number of almost everything based on the number of guests. We have two wall cupboards just for glasses. We have all sorts of stuff. It's not much of a holiday if you turn up to a bare kitchen.
As I say, we had double of everything too - but needs must and the other half is in storage. If you explain it, I think guests prefer to have less and be confident that what is provided has been cleaned.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I suppose your guest demographic will determine what easing of the routine you might achieve this year.

I know most people accept bookings online these days, but I still like to have an actual conversation with my guests when they book. I know that most of my guests in the coming months have been vaccinated or will have accepted the vaccine (I don’t ask or request this information, it comes up as people always want to know about cancellation arrangements if there is another lockdown or they cannot travel as a result of Covid).
If I usually had younger guests and children, or oversees visitors then I would hold no hope of anything easing at all for this year.

The original post poses some good questions and it will be interesting to see what, if anything, does change in the guidance this year.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

zebedee wrote: The original post poses some good questions and it will be interesting to see what, if anything, does change in the guidance this year.
And of course some of the listing sites - Airbnb for example - insist on the cleaning regimes that you must follow in order to continue to list with them.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I massively reduced kitchen stuff. I explain why and provide a list of things people can request. Has worked really well so far. I ask people to put their 'requested' stuff back into the balcony box I leave it in, so it doesn't get mixed up with the essentials. I've found people appreciate the reasons and are happy that things are clean and minimal.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix