Visa for holidays in France for UK now ?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
bornintheuk

Visa for holidays in France for UK now ?

Post by bornintheuk »

I have linked to a site from Service Public which clearly states that all visitors, tourists included who wish to stay in France for less than 3 months now need to obtain a "Attestation d'Accueil" which will cost the herbeger (Gite owner, B and B owner, hotel owner) the sum of €30 and could be refused.
What now for tourism in France ?

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... oits/F2191

BUT, if you look at this site regarding the withdrawal agreement for UK citizens then you do not need a visa ?

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/ ... sas/brexit

Confused ? I am !
What would Plato do ?
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I've no reason to research this other than boredom but an ordinary holidaymaker visiting from the UK doesn't need a visa but apparently, according to this:
Your arrival in France
Whether or not you need a visa, entry into the Schengen area of third-country nationals must comply with a certain number of conditions, as provided for by the European and national regulations in force.

The following supporting documents must be presented at the request of the Border Police upon your arrival in France:

A valid passport issued less than 10 years before and valid for at least 3 months after the envisaged departure date;
A valid visa, if required;
Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall);
Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;
Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;
Any document providing details on the profession or the capacity of the traveller as well as on the establishments or organisations located in France which are expecting you, if you are on a professional trip.
You must have an insurance certificate covering all medical and hospital expenses for which you may be liable for the duration of your stay in France, as well as medical repatriation costs and expenses in the event of death.

For travellers in transit, you must be able to present proof of satisfying the entry conditions in the final destination country (conditions of stay and accommodation during transit, continuation ticket and visa for the destination country).
I would assume that the document your first link refers to covers the second example of the proof of accommodation requirement.

I can see that while producing documentation to meet these requirements might not be unreasonable should the Border Police suspect a traveller of being an (illegal) immigrant, it would seem somewhat unwelcoming for a typical tourist and might come as a big surprise to many.
leon

Post by leon »

RH why do you say that "an ordinary holidaymaker visiting from the UK doesn't need a visa "? Source please?

BorninUK's first source postdates the second so we ignore the second.

Note that we (the hébergeant) have to provide evidence of our resources, proof of ownership or lease of our property:
Les documents présentés doivent, obligatoirement, décrire le nombre de pièces composant le logement et la surface habitable de ce dernier.
Acte notarié d'achat ou attestation notariée (si l'acte de vente a été souscrit par le conjoint du demandeur, présenter une copie du livret de famille ou l'acte de mariage).
Contrat de location (bail) signé par le bailleur et le locataire (si le bail a été souscrit par le conjoint du demandeur, présenter une copie du livret de famille ou l'acte de mariage).
ET quittance de téléphone ou de gaz-électricité de moins de trois mois
AND
"Les documents présentés doivent, obligatoirement, décrire le nombre de pièces composant le logement et la surface habitable de ce dernier.
Acte notarié d'achat ou attestation notariée (si l'acte de vente a été souscrit par le conjoint du demandeur, présenter une copie du livret de famille ou l'acte de mariage).
Contrat de location (bail) signé par le bailleur et le locataire (si le bail a été souscrit par le conjoint du demandeur, présenter une copie du livret de famille ou l'acte de mariage).

There is more (the visitor has to prove insurance cover of at least €30,000...) but I am too shocked to continue.
leon

Visa France now

Post by leon »

RichardHenshall

leon wrote:RH why do you say that "an ordinary holidaymaker visiting from the UK doesn't need a visa "? Source please? ...
From https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/ ... sas/brexit:
British citizens do not require a visa if spending up to 90 days over a 180 days period in the Schengen area. You may however be asked like any other third country nationals to justify your travel by the Immigration Officer (means of living, address of stay, medical travel insurance…).
Last edited by RichardHenshall on Sat May 15, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

leon wrote:
BorninUK's first source postdates the second so we ignore the second.
A bold statement and not necessarily true !

I am sure that visa's are not required but there are other requirements such as having at least 3 months validity on your passport and some form of health insurance cover.

Wasn't Brexit a really good idea (irony)
What would Plato do ?
annedab

Post by annedab »

This is taken from RIFT FB page.
ATTESTATION D'ACCUEIL
UPDATE
We can advise you that the British Embassy have confirmed to us that the attestation will be required for UK passport holders travelling to France for private visits to friends and family where they do not have accommodation, such as a gîte, hotel, Airbnb etc, booked.
Whilst exempt from needing a visa for trips of under 3 months, the attestation will be required.
If you review this page you will see the list of document which may be asked for at the border https://france-visas.gouv.fr/.../your-arrival-in-france
Please note this requirement is for all Third Country Nationals.
The cost of the attestation is 30 euros and relates to the accommodation/per trip so one attestation can be used for more than one person assuming your family/friends are travelling together. The person hosting the family members/friends must apply for the attestation not less than 1 month before the visit commences. You can apply for the attestation here https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... oits/F2191
2nd home owners may need to show proof of home ownership so a copy of a taxe fonciere maybe useful to carry or similar document showing proof of ownership. As far as we are aware 2nd home owners do not require the attestation.
Please note, this does not relate to paying guests booked into your accommodation if you run a gîte, hotel, campsite, Airbnb etc.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
leon

Post by leon »

RH:
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/ ... sas/brexit:
France-Visas
Le site officiel des visas pour la France
Oups, la page que vous recherchez n'existe pas.
leon

Post by leon »

BornUK - No, no visa- I was replying to "Attestation d'Accueil":
I have linked to a site from Service Public which clearly states that all visitors, tourists included who wish to stay in France for less than 3 months now need to obtain a "Attestation d'Accueil" which will cost the herbeger (Gite owner, B and B owner, hotel owner) the sum of €30 and could be refused.
What now for tourism in France
?
CSE

Post by CSE »

leon wrote:BornUK - No, no visa- I was replying to "Attestation d'Accueil":
What now for tourism in France
?
Help I think I am going blind. :wink:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
RichardHenshall

My mistake, the semi-colon got added automatically to the hyperlink. I've corrected my versions.