UK weather today

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

UK weather today

Post by Sue Dyer »

Everyone in the North East and Cumbria okay with our terrible gales we're having?

Our house shook this morning at 7.45 and I really thought the roof had gone or something, heard a rumbling noise and knew something was up. My husband came running up saying "you're not going to believe this..." We live in terraced housing, 3 of the high walls had torn down in the back lane crushing a couple of cars - it looks like a bomb has gone off. Thankfully no one was around and everyone is safe although our neighbour has lost part of his kitchen. I'm glad it wasn't a work day as more people would have been around instead of lazing in bed.

I know Cumbria is having problems with flooding, the A1 has jackknifed lorries and drivers have been rescued by helicopter, I guess we'll know the extent of the damage during the day and this blows out soon.

Hope all in the region are safe and well. We're on a very small scale here, I can only imagine how terrifying the events in Asia were/are. Sue
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

The clear up has begun here after the storm.

Next time you scratch or bump your car and you're uptight give a though for our neighbours!! They are actually taking it remarkably well, we're all saying at least everyone is safe and that is the main thing...

oskar

Post by oskar »

ImageImageImage
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

How awful! My mother and father in law had a similar experience in the storm of '87 when their neighbour (whose garage was positioned at a 90 degree angle to theirs) opened his garage door to check all that was ok and collapsed in on both their cars.
helene

Post by helene »

I hope everything gets cleared up soon - and it is good to hear that no-one was hurt. Its at times like these when we get the opportunity to review our perspective - what matters (health, safety, etc) and what is less relevant like cars, etc............
Best wishes for the clear-up
Helene
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

thanks!! It is all clear now and no one hurt, we did have a missing cat for a while (she usually sits up on the high walls) but is okay.
I totally agree, it is a horrible experience having your car totalled or house broken into (I've had both) but even more so losing someone you love, that's the main thing. You can replace cars and property but not people. I guess that comes to you as you get older (and hopefully) wiser.

Oskar - I love that little animated gif!!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Extraordinary scenes, Sue! I thought the wind down here was strong when it blew a light off the wall - how strong must it have been to blow a whole wall down? Glad to hear all are well and only the cars are in need of a panel-beater.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
oskar

Post by oskar »

If you liked that one, Sue, you'll like this one too!

Image Image Image
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Saw the terrible scenes on the TV. I hope all is well soon.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Obscure quote but I'm a big fan of North East band Prefab Sprout who summed life up in a (failed) single where the lyrics went: (as a lashback to Springsteen) -
"some things in life hurt more than cars and girls".... That lyric makes sense after a certain age!! ( and I'm there!!)
paolo

Post by paolo »

I play that phrase in my mind sometimes - that is the very apex of Prefab Sprout isn't it? Although strictly speaking I hear it as 'some things hurt more, much more than cars and girls...'
Last edited by paolo on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Our neighbour's greenhouse has blown over and have smashed into our garden, but other than that we're relatively unscathed here...

Aaron
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Paolo
Yes, I think you're right on the lyric. I was a bit hampered :roll: because of indulging in a deal at a local restaurant. It's a chain called Tiger Tiger, they are having a "January Sale" on food and drink with a voucher from the net. This is a good enough deal but when we got there it was Happy Hour. The drinks prices in Happy Hour were - cocktails £2 instead of £4.75, House Champagne £10 off per bottle. We couldn't believe that you got the Happy Hour price then the 50% off - so of course we had to take full advantage. Worked out the champagne was £7.50!!! The place is a chain so check it out if there's one near you www.tigertiger.co.uk.

Re the Sprouts... that era was their shot at fame, Cars & Girls and King of Rock n Roll. Who could forget the giant dancing hot dog???!!! I was a mega fan of the band and collected their releases in every format... :oops: I met my good friend in L.A through Record Collector magazine, a lone Sprout fan stuck out their in California wanting someone to post records across to him. We've been friends since 1991 and visited each other many times.. music makes the world a smaller place!

Paolo - you should do the New Years Honours next year, most posts, something like: most useful thread, most added to thread and a special prize for me - going off topic the most :lol:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Have my pics gone missing to everyone or just on my computer???!!!!
(i've sent so many people the link to this to see my photo's - Hi everyone!!)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Sue,

I can't see them either!
Paolo
Lay My Hat