air conditioning

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Manclass

air conditioning

Post by Manclass »

Regarding air-conditioning.. I know a few years back that the cost had to be included in the rental rate when this was the case we had massive bills as people were leaving it on with windows open and going out for the day ,,, I thought since then I had read somewhere that now we are allowed to charge separately for it, but I cant find out where I read it .. Does anybody know if this is the correct ? Thank you in advance .
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

We don't charge extra for AC, but I mention in the notes of a 'welcome' email which I send to guests just prior to their arrival the cautionary tale about misuse of the AC. The usual advice, to which I add that prolonged use may cause a breakdown of the AC system (probably not in fact) and that in summer it can take perhaps 10 days before an engineer, because of the heavy demand on his available time, can call to fix it. I believe that guests put 2 and 2 together and it has the necessary sobering effect.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Not practical for this summer but worth while longer term is to check your billing set up with the electric company. How you are charged is very much based on how the building was originally designated for consumption. Your contract is based on how much demand you expect to put on the supply. Most architects and builders will over estimate because by underestimating you get clobbered if you go over. With smart meters you can get switched off if you go over. Your contracted usage is shown on every bill you receive. Any competent electrician will do a review for about €50 but only a registered person can do the change.
Adding to Andrew's shrewd advice you can tell guests that the new smart meters disconnect the supply if you go significantly over.
Conversely for anyone who has recently added A/C or any other electric appliances you may need to consider increasing your contracted supply level.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I've just this minute had a message from my daughter who lives near Barcelona. There is a new law affecting electricity tariffs which means we will now be charged according to the time of day we use electricity. There are peak hours, standard hours and off-peak hours. Just at a glance it could affect owners bills significantly unless renters are aware of it. It doesn't involve separate meters now that they have smart meters in most places.
I'll try to post a list of the hours and prices later.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

The new tariffs do not affect everyone - we use Endesa Happy Hours (most expensive 50 hours each month are free of charge) and have a fixed tarrif of 14 cents per kw. So are not affected by the changes.

And edited to say that agree with the approaches to guests aircon usage. We stress that they are domestic units rather than commercial units and will malfunction if left running with windows open or running all day. We say we monitor electricity usage and if used to excess a deduction will be made from the damage deposit.

Generally I think guests do want to look after the house - but when they are not used to something like aircon it's important to really be clear about it.

We notice our spanish guests are much more aware of how to use it efficiently - some just use the dehumidifier mode which uses less energy.

Edited (again!) to note that if you have good quality energy efficient heat pump type aircon units - they are relatively cheap to run. An electricity bill for August, as an example of when aircon is most likely to be used, is around 200 - 250 euros - running 4 aircon units - they use about .8 kw per hour. In relation to the weekly price of letting it is a managable amount.

The electric oven (2 kw) actually uses more electricity and we see big spikes in usage on our online usage monitor.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I have just had a short bill for the last 8 days showing the new charges. The peak rate costs 13.3 cents per kwh. The mid-rate is 4.2 cents and the off-peak is just 0.6 of a cent per kwh. The off-peak applies between midnight and 8 AM and weekends. Mid-rate is 8-10 morning, 2 to 6 afternoon/evening and the last 2 hours at night. All other times are peak.
Previously I was on a flat rate of 4.4 cents per KWH.
So unless you have contracted some special scheme like Sunbeam, these changes could result in significant changes to your bill.
While you can threaten guests with extra charges it is, I believe, still illegal to "resell" electricity.
I agree with Sunbeam that A/C should not normally push costs up so much but this new rating system may change that a bit. It is certainly worth checking out if you will be affected or not especially if you do winter lets that involve heating.
CSE

Post by CSE »

There a few reports on some "expat" forums that they have not seen an increase in electricity costs. It is pleasing to know that some are not affected.
This information, in English, says that many are affected by these huge increases.
https://moneysaverspain.com/electric-tariffs-spain/
However, the rest of Spain is not happy about it. Hence the reduction in VAT, which had to be grated permission form the EU:
This is the consumers association website.
https://www.facua.org/es/noticia.php?Id=16895
More information about the extortionate costs (in Spanish)
https://www.publico.es/economia/tarifaz ... tarlo.html
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thanks costa brava - these rates seem pretty reasonable. Are they variable rates?

I've never quite got to grips with the two different ways of contracting electricity. we go for a fixed rate (which isn't subject to the new timings) - as the variable rate can be very high in winter and july/aug (price goes up when there is more demand).

We prefer some certainty - but perhaps we are over-paying now.

Perhaps a new thread in the Spain page as would love to properly understand the system. And taking over a q re aircon - apologies manclass
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you CSE - useful links
CSE

Post by CSE »

Perhaps a new thread in the Spain page as would love to properly understand the system.
It is far too complicated. Area you are in, contracted potential, The type of contract. Maybe more?
There are on line comparison websites.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.