How do I block an IP address?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
website

How do I block an IP address?

Post by website »

Hi guys.

I am getting a lot of spam recently. How can I block the IP address it comes from?

Any suggestions are greatly received.

Cheers :D
Ski in Winter - Relax in the Summer
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
A-two

Post by A-two »

Step 1: Check it's not being sent to an old email you no longer use. If so, delete email account.

Step 2: Do a reverse lookup on the IP number to find out which ISP owns the block that includes the number it's coming from. File a complaint with the relevant ISP, telling them that you are being spammed by one of their customers. You will need to email them copies of the full headers and content of the messages you have received. This is unlikely to get it stopped at a first complaint. Most likely they will warn their customer not to spam, it normally takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the account closed.

Step 3: Contact your own ISP and tell them to block the server from which the spam is coming. They can do this if you give them the ISP name having already looked up the IP block. So far as I know, they cannot block individual IP numbers, only the server as a whole. Depending on who it is, you may not want to do that.

If you're being dictionary spammed at a catchall email address and receiving 50 to 100 emails an hour, it's not a choice. I had to do this twice in my life so far, the second time only last week, it was an old email address on a domain I no longer owned. I was willing to re-register the domain just to stop the spam, but someone else had already bought it and the Domain Name Registrar had not switched off email forwarding. I did a Whois lookup on the the domain name to find out where it was registered these days, then picked up the phone to their tech department. They were very helpful, lots of apologies and stopped it instantly, but it took another 4 hours to propogate thru the net. After that, the flooding stopped, a few trickled through the next day, but that was then end of it.

Catchall email addresses contribute to the problem of dictionary spamming.

Step 4: ignore all of the above and click delete.... :)

Hope this helps
website

Post by website »

Hi Joanna, it does help thank you.

I am not receiving 50-100 emails an hour but 50+ emails a day. They are mainly the stock emails, buy this stock etc. I know that this subject has been brought up in another thread on this forum.

It is so annoying !!

Thanks again for your help though it is much appreciated.

To be honest because these guys don't really get punished, it sometimes feels like, if you can't beat them join them.

I have recently been read about PRStorm and how it improves your PR quickly. There are many websites talking about this product, mainly all saying bad things about it but apparantly it works. The bad things said are that it is spamming and that is why I haven't bought and used it.

But you do start to think, well if I am receiving truck loads of spam everyday, and this tool will quickly improve my PR, then why not.

Nothing seems to be done about spammers, or shall I say not enough seems to be done.

I am not going to buy PRStorm but when this is very little risk of consequence, you do understand the people that do.

Cheers Joanna :D
Ski in Winter - Relax in the Summer
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
maria-g

Post by maria-g »

Hi website, the other option to block IP addresses stalking your site or sending you spam e-mails is using your htaccess.

In you htaccess file, add the following code; changing the IP's to suit your needs - each command on one line each:

Code: Select all

order allow, deny
deny from 123.45.6.7
deny from 012.32.5.
You can deny access based upon IP address or an IP block. The above blocks access to the site from 123.45.6.7, and from any sub domain under the IP block 012.34.5.