Banking Queries...

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Big Sis..

Banking Queries...

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :D

I have quite a few Guests from Ireland who want to pay in Euro cheques....usually they get a Sterling draft....
Now if they send me a Euro chq drawn on their bank can I pay it directly into my Spanish Bank account and can I send them a Spanish Euro chq back when returning theyre deposit???

I know its all Euros but as they will be drawn on different countries is it possible....

Thanks all , :wink: sorry if this is a silly question??? :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ros, it is not a silly question at all! It might have saved you some money by asking it!
Even though all the countries have euros as their currency, you will still be charged a substantial commision for cashing a Eurocheque from one country into the Euro account of a different country. It is cheaper to do a bank transfer. If I cash a cheque from Ireland or Belgium, for example, into my French account, I have to pay over 17€ in commision, regardless of the amount on the cheque!! I only accept bank transfers not, I think the rate is around 3€ for this, regardless of amount.
It is criminal in my opinion - I thought the whole idea of going to a single European currency was to avoid extortionate charges like this, but the banks are still making a profit on it!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan, :D

Thanks for that :D ....Usually people seem happy enough getting a Bankers Sterling Chq....so I suppose theyre getting the charges theyre end...I then send them my normal Sterling cheque to refund theyre key/damage deposit...

I wouldnt have realised that I would be charged that amount..Glad I asked..and you answered[thanks :wink: ]
I have had people[someone from Holland a couple of years back] pay straight into my bank once..but I am a bit wary of giving bank details now..... :roll: :lol:
roxytoo

euros

Post by roxytoo »

Ros there is another option and thats paypal, you can ask for euros via paypal, you can choose whether to ask them to pay the 3.5% odd charge on top or sink that yourself! The euros go into your paypal account and then you can transfer it sterling into you bank account. Rates always seems pretty fair to me too!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOER.... :roll: :cry:

Thought someone might mention this........Im not sure Im up to it having read some of the comments....
At the moment I get chq...
go down bank..
pay cheque in...

The when they vacate write chq...
go down PO ..
send it....
I even manage to muddle that sometimes...I sent a deposit chq back to someone who hadnt even been yet.....[similar names]

and also forgot to put a chq in with the letter that says
Thanks for the safe return of your keys...Please find a chq..for....which is the return of your key deposit.....[find beig the operative word as it was still in my chq book] :oops:

When people ring though theyre really nice :D [I think theyve probably realised early on the sort of thing theyre up against :roll: ] but we do have a laugh..... :lol: :lol:

Not sure If Ive mentioned this
but I managed to convince a chap once that he was coming to mine on Holiday and I needed his post code to send the keys......[he gave me it]..
then realised Id phoned the wrong no....when I rang back about 10 mins later his wife answered and I said I think Ive confused your Hubby...she laughed ..you have.....
[he probably didnt dare answer it again in case that Mad Woman made him pack a case....] :oops: bet he would have as well I can be very persistent.....

I expect I ought to venture into all this but its at the same level as I ought to have my own Website..... :roll: :oops: :lol:
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I let all my eurozone guests pay directly into my spanish account by bank transfer.

So far all have been happy to do this and the transfers have been quick with no cost to myself.

I know there is a slight risk in giving out my bank details but I'm not actually giving them any more details than they would find on a cheque or am I?
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

La Luz you are right, although in the Uk we tend to be more wary of handing over bank details. If a payment goes throgh your account with a forged signature, it's the bank's liability not yours (signatures are almost never checked in the UK). The problem is the time you will waste sorting the problem out.

I checked with my Italian bank and they have assured me that there is no problem giving my account details to customers, and in fact on invoices hee it s common to do so. Might be worth checking what your bank have to say.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

LaLuz wrote: I know there is a slight risk in giving out my bank details but I'm not actually giving them any more details than they would find on a cheque or am I?
I do this all the time and have never had a problem, either with my UK or French bank account. I try and transfer the money into a different account as soon as it is received.