14 year old dog

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
rosario

14 year old dog

Post by rosario »

Hello everybody,
Last night I have had an enquiry : from 3rd-31st May 2007, 4 adults and a "little" 14 year old dog. I would not accept pets during the high season, but this would be a 4 week rental in May.(the maximum rental weeks I have got for this month for 6 years has been 2). Now the question is, and supposing I could convince my husband, what if I ask for a breakable deposit of, let´s say, 400-500€? So this could cover the expenses if the little dog would be a bit naughty.
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Rosario -

Hmmm. I'm a dog lover but this would be tough, mostly because if you currently advertise as "no pets" then you may have follow-on visitors who have allergies that will be *very* unhappy to find themselves in a house that a dog lived in for 4 weeks. In fact, they would be unable to stay.

If you advertise as pets optional, then four weeks in May sounds pretty tasty... and I would definitely get more information:
1. Breed of dog
2. Weight
3. Is it crated?

Crated dogs often spend very little time there, but it's a question worth asking.

As for the deposit, let's assume that the dog will spend a good deal of time on the beds, upholstered furnishings and rugs. What will it cost to clean all those? (Perhaps the dog is really well behaved and won't be on the furniture, but you don't know that.) Add in more for an extremely thorough cleaning/scrubbing, especially if it's a dog that sheds a lot.

Worth a clause, too, that all dog feces must be removed from the premises or deposit will be forfeit. Too many dog owners seem to not connect with this particular responsibility.

The good news is that a 14 year old dog will probably not spend a lot of time running and jumping about. I can understand why they won't put him in a kennel... may not even make it to May, in fact, bless his little heart. :(

Running to the bank now, but if I think of anything else that might be remotely useful, I'll let you know.
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Rosario - I love dogs, but our advertisements say 'no pets'. However I had a booking inquiry recently for 2 weeks in July - plus 'small, well-behaved' dog. The owner had initially called me with her inquiry and sounded delightful. Even sent me pics of the little darling! I have accepted the booking and feel confident that all will be well. I always ask for a damage deposit; ours is a large-ish house, so I increased it last year from £150 per week of stay to £200. There has been a lot of debate about this topic already, and I remain a firm believer in protecting yourself in this way. Others may be able to suggest an appropriate figure for a month's stay. If you normally ask for a damage deposit, and it's €X per week, it might be a bit much to request €4X for a month, but without knowing what your property is like (eg its size, accessibility to outside space etc,) it's a little difficult to advise what would be appropriate.

I intend to stick with our 'no pets' policy, but if I receive an inquiry from a dog owner, I guess it depends on the owner, and the dog. Calling before committing for a chat could be reassuring. On the face of it, a 14-year old dog would be less of a hazard than a younger one - but 14's pretty ancient, and if he's got continence problems.....!

I've returned to my post, as Deb and I were sending at the same time. Good point about allergies Deb! I must remember about that; so far, none of my guests has actually flagged up allergy problems. Food for thought!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Vally

Post by Vally »

I am of the same opinion regading dogs as debk, have no problems with them for myself , but won't let them into the hotel or cottages, mostly for allergy reasons for the next person coming but also smells , even the most beautiful pooch , like my Woofy (a big poodle) was, they have a doggie smell and it lingers especially if the next people in are not doggie people, and 4 weeks ......
rosario

Post by rosario »

Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Our house is not advertised neither as "pets welcomed" nor "no pets", and we have 2 terraces of 22 and 15m2 respectively, but anyway I am thinking that 4 weeks is definitely too much time. I could accept if I would be 100% sure the dog was not going to enter the house, but stay in the terraces, but as this is not possible I am going to let it go.
Thanks again for your advice.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Rosario, there are a few threads on the subject of allergies, so it might be an idea to search the forum to see what has already been discussed. Think I ought to do the same!

Here's one to help: viewtopic.php?t=89&highlight=
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

My Heidi (that's our weimaraner) is 14 yrs old and love her to bits but would never take her to someones house to stay, she has had slight incontinence problems for a few years and I have to say there's the very odd occasion when if we have a lie in that she's pooped on the kitchen floor :shock:

I don't think you can ever tell what sort of dog or owner you'll get from a phone call, for instance, our dog is never allowed on the sofas but most other owners I know allow it. To be honest, sometimes I think the ones that 'love' their dog the most are the worst and there are others who realise that they are dogs and some things just aren't appropriate but it's a touchy subject, so as a renter I would just avoid like the plague.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I completely agree that it's crucial to find out what breed of dog it is.

I had an inquiry a couple of months ago from a couple with a "well-behaved small dog." When I asked about the dog's breed, I was told "she's a Weimaraner."

As I'm sure Partridge can attest, these are not particularly small dogs! They're not huge by any means, but when I think "small dog," I think Bichons, Shih Tzus, that sort of thing -- dogs that you can pick up and carry around with you.

As you can imagine, I didn't take the booking... not so much because of the breed, but because the dog's owners were either trying to mislead me, or were misleading themselves! :)
Brooke
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

vrooje wrote:As I'm sure Partridge can attest, these are not particularly small dogs! They're not huge by any means, but when I think "small dog," I think Bichons, Shih Tzus, that sort of thing -- dogs that you can pick up and carry around with you.
Could be that the owners were large enough to believe that their weimaraner was small in comparison :shock:

It's probably the small dogs that are more likely to be on the sofas, in the bedroom etc. My aunt had a schitzu and it always slept on her bed till it became incontinent and she had it put down, poor thing, at least that won't happen to Heidi :?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
debk

Post by debk »

Could be that the owners were large enough to believe that their weimaraner was small in comparison
Exactly. My puppy of 7 months currently weighs 14 kilos (33 pounds) but, to me, she's not only small, she's just a baby. Ack. I'm Vrooje's nightmare! :lol:
debk

ps- is it ok to hijack a thread like this once it's closed? rosario has, after all, already made her decision...
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Actually, it's funny, but since I own a Great Dane, I tend to think of even retrievers as small. From that perspective, a weimaraner is a pretty small dog, and "small dogs" are just teeny tiny.

However, I tend to see things with different eyes when evaluating potential damage done to the rental property! Much as our Dane is gentle and sweet, I would never dream of bringing him to a holiday rental. I wouldn't even ask unless I wanted to be laughed at! :)
Brooke
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I think Partridge has hit the nail on the head when she says that owners who "love their dogs are the worst"! These are the people who will have their pet on the furniture regardless of size, season (probably not relevant to the 14 year old), breed, and whether or not it slobbers! I'm very fond of my dog but it's not allowed to sleep in the bedroom, never mind on the furniture. I accept it moults, stinks when it gets wet and may even attract the odd flea! Some people however think they are just adorable little darlings and can do no wrong. I don't even think like that about my kids never mind the pets!
As I am on site, I would be happy to accept a friendly dog, if I thought it would get along with mine, but only if I believed it would be treated like a dog, not a precocious kid!
debk

Post by debk »

since I own a Great Dane
Oh, I'm more than a wee bit jealous. If the choice were 100% mine, we would have a Great Dane. Love them!

(Love my puppy, too, of course... Dane or not. :roll: )
debk
garlic

Post by garlic »

I have a wiemarana too He's definitely not small. :) Dog owners may think I'm hard but not only is he not allowed on the furniture full stop, he's not actually allowed upstairs to our sitting room. He has a basket by the fire in the kitchen and that's his spot. Our kitchen is a sort of multi purpose room and we spend most of our time there but it's not a soft furnishing room. When I go upstairs it's into clean land where we don't have shoes etc, there is a rug on the floor and I like to pull cushions off the sofa and snuggle up in front of the TV. Until he can learn to wash his feet he's not going upstairs. And anyway dogs lick their bottoms :oops:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

but since I own a Great Dane, I tend to think of even retrievers as small. From that perspective, a weimaraner is a pretty small dog, and "small dogs" are just teeny tiny.
Slightly off topic and no its not about Dogs g....ds had enough trouble last time :oops: .
BTW If people did like to know about accepting dogs there was a lot of good info on that thread[as well as a lot of ramblings :oops: ]
'Becoming Dog Friendly' in the Bookings category....

Size perspective IS strange
I run a P&T Nursery and my Big kids are 3yrs old..the ages run from 0-3and a bit...
While Im at work I expect a lot from my 3yr olds as theyve been there the longest and as usual if you expect a lot they rise to it, sharing helping the babies..helping tidy and I sometimes say your my big ones you know better..[but in a nice way] when theyre a bit snatchy or careless...

Then when I see them out in the real world with proper sized people they seem so smalll[as of course they are] :roll: :D