Refurbishing what to buy?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
centime

Refurbishing what to buy?

Post by centime »

I am just about to refurbish two aparments with new kitchens and bathrooms, I am now going from targeting family groups to couples. What do you suggest are the real needs regarding regarding appliances, I am leaning towards the good basic washing machine with simple programs and low-level electric consumption, as who needs a specific program to wash curtains on holiday! Dishwasher maybe no, as it is not for a family, fridge freezer obviously and with regards to the microwave what should I consider – get one at the sales at a discount price or go for a good mark? What do you think the requirements are for an inner city apartment with everything within a 3 minute walking distance, as compared to a country villa that may need transport to go shopping? What do we all think? :lol:
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

We rent a property for max 2 people: there is a small(good) under-the-counter refrigerator, 3 point hob, microwave, washing machine - but no dish washer. This has never been a problem, as far as I know. One of the few complaints we had was from somebody who thought we provided too many things(china, glasses etc)!!
If your price is up market you should put in up-market equipment - and say so on your web page. In 2 of our properties we have Siemens top of the range, new electrical equipment - and I say so in the description.
Best,
Alexia.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Centime,

I have a one-bed and a 2-bed, not urban but in a rural village that is on the tourist trail. First of all I think you have made the right business decision to target couples instead of families, as that is a year-round market with less wear and tear than children will visit upon you!

I think British renters will be happy enough without a dishwasher but Americans would appreciate it. In my one-bed I have a half-size dishwasher which is a good compromise. In fact I am very short on space so I also have a half-size oven and the the oven sits on top of the dishwasher, occupying the same space as a normal oven would.

Fridge-freezer - under-the-counter one is fine for a couple.

Washing machine - yes, basic is best. I have a combination washer-dryer but it does take a long time to complete a full cycle. If you don't have anywhere else obvious to dry clothes (as I don't), it may be the answer. I have noticed quite a few people come with a suitcase full of dirty laundry. The machine kept breaking down and eventually I realised it was because I had left vague instructions for its use (the instruction booklet is in French). When I translated the whole booklet, no more problems.

Microwave - I didn't bother with the one-bedroom, but if I had I would have got one of the absurdly cheap ones from the hypermarket. (If you come to France you shouldn't be using a microwave!)

Coffee machine - make it a filter one with a plastic/metal filter, so they don't need to buy paper ones.

Cooker - I would still go for a 4-ring, because even a couple needs 4 for some meals.

Crockery, etc. - I rarely get breakages in the one-bedroom, and this is because couples cause fewer breakages, but also because the glasses and plates are good quality. They are more durable and more respected.

Bathroom - make sure the shower drain can cope with the shower pressure. Mine can't, and this causes spillages.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

We put in a microwave when the small oven broke down, because we happened to have one. This left the place without an oven & I fogot to change the description on the web site (which continued to promise an oven, but no micro wave). Perhaps surprisingly, nobody complained. I think a lot of couples buy take away food in France (which can be fantasticically good); they will use the micro wave to heat it up although yes, Paolo, I agree, a purist will use an oven!
If somebody complained I would put in an oven.
I still leave tons of kitchen ware (& I agree about using quality stuff): with one exception, visitors have been thrilled to find they can have a series of meals without having to wash up after each one to get fresh cutlery etc.
Best,
Alexia.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We propvide the full range of equipment (we aim at families so a dishwasher is a must) and all the equipment is top of the range, with the exception of the microwave.

I have two friend who both find working the microwave on anything but a basic program impossible, and they both advised me to get the simpliest microwave possible. No digital readouts, no fancy options, just a dial for the time and a button which says START. Although I have searched I could not find such a thing by one of the top brands, so I ended up with a cheap one from the supermarket for about 30€. It's lasted a year so far so if it packs in no I'll just replace it with another cheap one. As long as it is spottlessly clean I don't think it matters.

One point to look out for on Fridges, washing machines etc is the decibel level. If you are open plan, or there is space to sit in the kitchen you don't want it to be too noisy.