Late Balance

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
FionaV

Late Balance

Post by FionaV »

I took a booking for Christmas week in September. They've had the T&C explaining the payment deadlines, and they returned their booking form, (signing to say that they'd read the T&C) with their deposit.

The holiday balance was due on the 11th November and despite having emailed them in October reminding them when the balance was due, it didn't arrive.

I rang them yesterday to check that it hadn't been lost in the post but they just "hadn't got around to sending it"

I haven't had this situation before. How much leeway do I give before I tell them that they've forfeited the holiday and take another booking?

I have an uncomfortable feeling about this.
Fiona
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Fiona

(Note: had to delete my original post because I misread your post...)

As you say you have received the deposit, I would not be overly worried at this stage. It is annoying, of course, but I think you should give them some more time.

Were they apologetic when you phoned yesterday? Rushing to remedy the situation?

Perhaps you could follow up your phone call with an email saying that you look forward to receiving the balance by....(Wednesday 22 Nov.?) at the latest. At this stage I wouldn't necessarily antagonise your guests by threatening to cancel their booking.
debk

Post by debk »

Fiona - What do your Ts&Cs say? There should be some clause outlining exactly what happens if they don't pay on time... perhaps something like cancelling the reservation so that you still have time to re-rent?
debk
brenda

Post by brenda »

We would send give the guests an email saying that you would allow them up to a weeks grace. I would also ask them to confirm their travel arrangements - saying this is so you can estimate their time of arrival at your property/let your agent know. If they cannot/don´t give these - especially with Xmas travel plans having to be made so far in advance - I would suspect they have changed their minds.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, good idea Brenda - haven't had that situation yet, but it's a nice way of checking their level of commitment. Must file!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mmm, interesting. Do you think, then - Brenda and GG - that there is a good chance of this family deciding to forfeit their deposit and simply not turn up?

I once read a post on a forum saying something along the lines of I'll get my holiday reserved, pay the deposit and if the worst comes to the worst and I change my mind, I'll lose the deposit but hey ho, no matter

Has any LMH owner actually had this happen to them?
debk

Post by debk »

Yes. I had a guest once, when it came time to make the final payment, admit that she wasn't really ready to make the trip. Seems her property taxes had gone up and her mother was worried about her travelling abroad alone (she was in her mid-30s).

Fortunately, this same guest came a year later and had a great time. Called her mother the moment she stepped in the door.

If booking deposits are low enough (especially when split across several paying adults), I'm afraid there are indeed people who will make a deposit without worrying too much about whether or not they are truly ready to commit.
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It may simply be a matter of the family's possibly having to cancel because of some unforseen circumstance, such as one of the party members, Uncle Fred, falling ill with something progressive, or convalescing after an op, eg, and they are maybe waiting to see what happens over the next few days rather than risking losing the balance if Uncle Fred takes a nose-dive. Even so, they should really explain if there is a difficulty; I'm sure most of us would be willing to stretch a point and wait another week or ten days when people are up front.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

debk wrote:If booking deposits are low enough (especially when split across several paying adults), I've no doubt there are people who will make a deposit without worrying too much about whether or not they are truly ready to commit.
debk
Deb, I agree with you - I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't bat an eyelid....

I'd still be interested to hear from anyone who has actually experienced this, just to see whether it really is a frequent practice
debk

Post by debk »

OK. This could be very interesting.

We have one example, above, of the woman who booked and paid a deposit, only cancelling when the final payment became due. And readily admitting that it was due in good part to lack of full commitment to the trip.

Anyone else?
debk
ps-Perhaps some people won't be as honest as our guest? Might we instead learn that "sudden illness" or "family problems" are causing them to not proceed with final payment? I mean, who doesn't have family problems? :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree Deb, but at least initially, if they give a health reason for delay in paying the balance, rather than for cancelling outright, that's a different scenario. At this point, Fiona's group are delaying paying the balance, they haven't yet cancelled.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote:At this point, Fiona's group are delaying paying the balance, they haven't yet cancelled.
Very true, GG. But I believe we, on Fiona's behalf, are mulling over her group's good faith (or lack of it!) in deciding how much extra time to allow before pulling the plug on them! N'est-ce pas? :D

Deb, you are probably right in that 'changed-our-mind' / 'found-a-better-option' type cancellations (you know what I mean...) would probably come 'gift-wrapped' but whatever the excuse, who's had a no-show after a deposit has been paid? I'll stick my neck out: gulp... not many, I bet ???
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fiona, :D
I agree with Brenda...Check travel arrangements flts etc...
I always do this well ahead of payment...
Gives you an indication of commitment
..less likely to cancel if flts are booked
Ive got a booking for Xmas but had the money awhile...I ask 8 weeks in advance now[there the ones in Ireland waiting for keys[in another post]......

If anyone else shows an interest I wouldnt rule out the 2nd booking...
Try to keep them interested if they want to book, it would be full payment now I take it...

I had a couple of cancellations last year but I knew well ahead and as it was peak times didnt have a problem rebooking...

When was the booking made & deposit sent was it recently ....

Let us know how it goes...Good Luck... :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Well, as I mentioned, I think a week (ie until the 18th) is what Fiona should allow this particular client - after all, she hasn't offered any concrete reason for the delay in stumping up the balance other than 'haven't got around to it'. If they had given a valid reason such as some sort of unpredictable occurrence like a relly's deteriorating health, I might stretch it to 10 days - but wouldn't tell them that, I'd just say I was prepared to wait a week. On day 10 I'd probably have to pull the plug.

Hopefully it's too soon (3 days late) to panic. But I might be tempted meanwhile to mark the slot available again on the calnedars if you use them Fiona.

I haven't had it happen to me yet, touch wood. :) Hope I never do, but it can happen to any of us - at least it seems as if it's rare, judging by people's replies to date.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think it is that late - I'd just write back and ask if they would be kind enough to let you know when they post the cheque as you were worried it had gone astray in the post before (hint hint) and that you will let them know as soon as you receive it. I had a guest 2 years running whose balance cheques got 'lost in the post' - the first year I gave them the benefit of the doubt, the second year I kknew they were lying but didn't worry as I knew they would definitely stay - they paid cash on arrival. In fact, all of my French guests pay the balance when they arrive and not before, it seems to be the the law here.