Late Balance

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Enid, friendly bars, cheese fondue, genepi, snowshoe walks. Fab mountain views, a traditional French village, do I need to give you more? :D :D
enid

Post by enid »

genepi??? Remember I'm a snow virgin :wink:
Davy P @ CCA

Post by Davy P @ CCA »

Past tense of 'nepi'.

:lol:
Attention to detail
Davy P @ CCA

Post by Davy P @ CCA »

Mouse wrote:By the way GG.........just love your 'goat of christmas present' signature :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mouse (who's not sure of the technical term for that line that appears under the bottom of names)
x
Mouse, it's called a signature.
Attention to detail
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh I did know!

Mouse (who has just discovered what a dongle is!! :shock: )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

enid wrote:genepi??? Remember I'm a snow virgin :wink:
Alcoholic drink made from genepi plant, a herb which only grows on the high mountain slopes.
enid

Post by enid »

Merci
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mouse (who has just discovered what a dongle is!!
Cmon then mousie let us all Know.....

ps I knew what the signature was but as others didnt I thought that it couldnt be right...so i said nowt[didnt want to appear silly :shock: :wink: :roll: :lol: ]
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well thats a first.... :roll:

Ive just cancelled someone.....
It just wasnt right and I just knew she would mess me about later....[still felt a bit awkward though letting her down and thought I might be in for some hassle from her later]

When she booked [both houses]she kept saying she had sent the money and I phoned etc..left numerous messages with family nothing...Just going to cancel and she answered one of my emails and said it must be lost in the post[yeh right] I will send another one which she did.
Well when that arrived I didnt contact her and she emailed ,left messages on my phone texted me continuously to see if it had arrived....But I waited[it just shows she hadnt sent it.as she didnt bother after she had sent the 1st chq....
Anyway that was it but I made a mental note that I was going to watch her,,,,,

She emailed a couple of weeks ago that she would have to cancel one of the houses as 2 family members were now pregnant?????[female ones I hope].....
But she really really still wanted the other house and were still desperate to come [but could we possibly transfer the other deposit to pay some of her balance]
No[probably would have if she hadnt been such a pain]
Also could I let her know her balance as she wanted to pay it early[yeh doubly right]..this is always a sign if people start saying they want to pay the money for next Augusts hols now means your not ever likely to see it...

Anyway I emailed a few times asked if theyd booked flts etc ..nothing...
So yesterday I said I had decided to cancel the remaining house as she hadnt got back to me ..but as it was my decision I would be sending her part of the deposit back.
Shes just emailed back nice as pie to say thanks very much sorry for any inconvenience...sorry she hadnt answered doesnt check her emails much[no only after Id offered her deposit back then she noticed]

So do you think she was really set on going or would have ever sent the balance[or ever bothered to let me know...no I dont either]

So once again the someone whos been looking after me along the way came up trumps....[this happens quite often] :wink:

Much better to know now
and there wont be any trouble reletting as its the only time in the peak hols left...and the 2 houses together is always whats wanted....

So Im really chuffed :wink: :lol:
Davy P @ CCA

Post by Davy P @ CCA »

Ros, a couple of questions:

1. What do you think her motive was?

2. If you cancelled her booking, are you within your rights to retain anything?

Just interested.
Attention to detail
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sorry Davy :roll:
Probably didnt make it clear...

We have 2 houses together and she had booked both which Im sure at the outset they wanted....she cancelled one a few weeks ago....[so losing that deposit] because of some of the family couldnt make it.......
But as she hadnt actually cancelled the other Im sending that house deposit back.......
but still said she wanted the other.....
But I guessed that when it got nearer she would mess me about ...and Id have trouble contacting her[as I had in the past] she is very elusive.......and not get the balance in time.
So saying Im sending your house deposit back [but not next doors] got her attention.....
Thats the trouble when the deposit is non refundable a lot of people wont bother to let you know that theyve changed theyre mind as theyre not losing anything by waiting....
So I got a very nice email apologising for the trouble.[which means that she wasnt as committed as she thought she was].
As soon as she started saying I want to pay my balance early its a clue..........

[my husbands whos a Plumber said he only worries about getting paid is when the people keep saying Ive got your money Let me know when you want it...every day..there the ones who dont pay]Normal people dont need to mention it as they know theyre paying at the end.... :wink: :lol:

But its great for me as I now have 2 weeks in both houses together in August to offer[were already booked July-mid Sep in both]
Which is my selling point and one house available wouldnt have been so good.

Hope thats clearer but knowing me its probably not...

Have a Good Xmasxx
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Ros,

Having read through the events fairly quickly, I may not have understood all the subtleties :wink: but my gut reaction is well done for cancelling the woman!.

Knowing your concern for guests, I bet you didn't do so lightly; she certainly seemed to be messing you around big time. She sounds like another variant of the 'picky' guests who feature on another thread (Soodyer).

Sometimes you just know certain guests mean trouble.
The same thing happened to me earlier in the year, but in a slightly different context, and I was sooo happy I didn't take the people who originally wanted the house.

As you say, you can easily relet the weeks so why give yourself a headache?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well thats another first Ive never cancelled a person before :shock: :wink:

If only life was as easy and we could cancel a few people who make life difficult...[Ive got a few in mind and I bet Syu & Syb could add to the list :evil: ] maybe even suspend a few...... :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Your right though I did feel awkward ...But I kept thinking Im going to wrry till next Summer about this and then when it goes pearshaped it will be my fault...
I need to sort it...[so I did]

and even if she had been a genuine person....she could easily rebook before August...When I rung about the deposit not arriving initially and spoke to her husband he didnt seem to know anything about even having a Holiday so it seemed strange then ....he said she will ring you back[she didnt] I spoke to another family member later she will ring you back[she didnt]
I think she was faffing about and was not really committed but just wanted to keep me on hold........She also lied...
When I pushed her she sent a deposit but dont think she still was 100%certain what her plans were.

I do give people a bit more leeway as when there booking 2 houses and its a family group its harder for them to get everybody sorted....

I should have listened to my instincts
though but kept giving her the benefit of the doubt.....I will learn from it though.....
At the end of the day its up to us who we have staying in the houses so if it doesnt feel right dont do it..... :roll:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Ros....I think we tend to develop a 6th sense after a while so I'm sure your instincts were right. And if she hadn't got confirmed flights then thats a definate warning of trouble to come.

BTW a dongle is (apparently) a USB wireless reception thingy.

My husband is very happy man now he finally has one! :shock:

IT Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Not to be confused with a dingle Eh Mouse :wink:

Have a good un Love Rosx