Scam or not? Advice appreciated.

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
A-two

Post by A-two »

This can't be real surely. Nobody declines going to look at the personal website, saying they don't need to see it, that's ridiculous.

For those of us who don't have a top of the line divining rod like Paul Carmel, in which group I include myself, we fall back on some of the more traditional methods to weed out the scams. Don't be frightened to ask questions and to tell this person you would appreciate a little more information about him. After all, you're the one taking all the risks. We don't offer the house to anyone unless they answer a whole bunch of (perfectly reasonable) questions that any genuine person has no problem answering.

Whatever you do, don't give him bank information until you're satisfied. The fact that he is more interested in knowing details of that rather than anything about your property is actually giving you the answer you're looking for, but I understand you want further evidence, so go ahead, ask him lots of questions. Send me a PM with your email address if you'd like to know what questions we ask to pre-qualify people.

Good Luck!
Last edited by A-two on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Joanna wrote:... you're the one taking all the risks.
Absolutely.

Eileen, it all sounds highly suspicious and utterly implausible. Who on earth would book a holiday without looking at your website then fall over themselves in their haste to pay the deposit?

Maybe safer to pass on this one?
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

It's not even anything to do with me and I'm getting nervous. I don't know much about scams and appreciate that others here have oodles of knowledge but I was just doing some surfing and found some things that would worry me.

1) Some info on how Romanians are linking with Nigerians to do scams

2) Some Ebay Romanian scammers being recently jailed.

3) Something about 'phishing' (by Romanians) and the more you correspond with them they may infect your computer blah blah (really quite beyond me)

4) The average gross wage per month in Romania is 1122 lei as of August 2006, [19] equating to €319.66 (US$403.60) based on international exchange rates ...
Took the above off of wikipedia, now if the average wage is only £200 per month gross, wouldn't renting your place amount to around a year's net income (sorry Eileen, I assume that's public info re your rates). Even if the guy was rich by Romanian standards and paid no tax, say earning 4 times average salary, it would still represent over 2 months salary and that's before flights, spending money etc.

Maybe I'm just a chicken but I wouldn't risk my sanity, would not correspond with him via e-mail and if he called, tell him you're husband won't let you rent to anyone who can't send a good old cheque, GOODBYE :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

As a general rule, I would never send out my account details unless I had an account set aside just for rental deposits, whose balance I had zeroed out in advance.
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sounds very dodgy to me too, :cry:
as all the others have said if you want to carry on with it[I wouldnt :evil: ]
Ask loads of questions that usually puts them off.

I do this when I get dodgy phone calls when theyre trying to pretend there not selling me something..they usually hang up on me...... :roll:
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Thank you all.

Last night my husband was telling me not to worry about it all and to toughen up. I told him that I was confident that I would get the advice I needed from you guys and it would all become clearer in the morning...and I was right!

Patridge he did actually say something along the lines of what you said about him not allowing me to accept bookings etc...so you have some psychic if not divining powers!

It really did play on my mind last night, so you can imagine how delighted I was when I one of this years guests called to re-book for next July. Would you believe that he is just back from business in Bucharest? As we had become chatty and quite friendly since his first booking last January I mentioned about this problem I was having. Partidge again he said the exact same as you regarding wages versus the price of the villa. O.K there are some high earners in Bucharest itself, but it is another story once you move away from the city itself. His advice too was that I should give the booking a wide berth.

Joanna thank you, I will pm you.

Jenny, you are right I am going to pass this one on...but why do I feel crummy about it...yes I do need to toughen up!

Vrooje, yesterday MG mentioned tightening my bank security too, so yep thanks I'm going into my local branch today.

Ros, good advice it's just shows it's true. I only asked him at the end of the call if he had any questions about the villa and he quickly dismissed it.

Now I just need to pluck up the courage to write to him...I think I will have another coffee first!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Eileen2 :D

He didnt want details about the house/villa/flat/tent/windowbox cos hes emailed so many people that he doesnt remember anything about it.... :roll:

Its a bit politicians/filmstars calling everyone Dear/Love cos they havent the foggiest what theyre names are.....

Dont give him :evil: any more of your time.......

Take Care.... :wink:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Eileen2 wrote: Now I just need to pluck up the courage to write to him...I think I will have another coffee first!
I agree with Ros.

Do you really think you owe him a reply?
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Ros wrote:Hi Eileen2 :D

Dont give him :evil: any more of your time.......

Take Care.... :wink:
Jenny wrote:
I agree with Ros.

Do you really think you owe him a reply?
You know something girls? Something which may not surprise you two at all..I did as you suggested I did not waste any more time on him and guess what? I've not heard from him again. :lol:

This has been a good lesson for me and I've now decided to toughen up and GET SMART & STREETWISE!

I wish I could buy all you guys a drink, but hope you will settle for a toast from me thanking you all for your willingness to help a newbie. 8) Cheers!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Eileen2 wrote:...hope you will settle for a toast from me thanking you all for your willingness to help a newbie. 8) Cheers!
That will do nicely, Eileen!

As a newbie myself, I agree this forum provides a goldmine of helpful souls... :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

All together now.... 'Come on Eileen'.... :roll:

Your Welcome Eileen, its all a learning curve for us as well......

I have had loads of help on the Forum as well theyre a great bunch....... :wink: :lol: [/quote]
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Ros wrote:All together now.... 'Come on Eileen'.... :roll:
I always dread that song coming on at parties & wedding. I just can't seem to shake my butt like I could 25 years ago! :oops:
giofed

Post by giofed »

Hi Eileen!

I have read this thread, which is very helpful for anyone, not only for a new entry! Scammers are always on the edge!

Well, a sure bet to see if your potential scammer is a real one, just ask him/her to give you his/her credit card info, as without a valid CC no reservation can be made. If the CC is valid (check with a fraud prevention agency, or a friend which has CC payment option). Ask for 50% of the total. Remainder 50% to be paid by CC 60 days or more pior to arrival. No additional money accepted whatsoever. That will push them away! The only way they can scam is through non CC transactions.

Good Luck in the future! (this scammer won't be the last one!)
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

After this carry on with my Romanian scammer I have become wary of all enquiries from overseas.
I received an enquiry from Austria a few days ago, this person had now forwarded a booking form and wishes to proceed with paying a deposit.
Heeding the advice from you guys I visited my bank where we managed to find an old account of mine with about 20pence in it! I will use this account for accepting booking deposits etc.
Anyway to finally get to the point...to set my mind at rest I decided to google 'email scams from Austria' and I found the following website with lots of good advice and examples of scam emails from all over the world.
Here it is I hope it may be of some use to any newbies like myself...
http://www.ammonet.com/ammonet-com/ammo ... ms-eng.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Eillen,

Hope your not going to worry tooo much about all your bookings Its a shame really as when I first started taking booking there was hardly any of this going on.
So I had a chance to get used to what was normal and what wasnt.
By the time these scams were rifr I had already had a year or so dealing with normal legitimate renters so I got to know what was normal.
If they very vague be wary ...If they offer money straight away be wary ...If they dont ask anything about the area house/villa be wary.....Bad English as well is a giveaway
If your concerned you can always ask again what we think...we wont mind at all so feel free......
Also theyre are people who read the posts but dont post themselves and just think they might be getting the same sorts of emails so your helping them as well...

Im sure things will get easier and once you get some real enquiries/bookings youll be able to relax a bit more.....