Google spiders - your dindins are here....

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Google spiders - your dindins are here....

Post by Mountain Goat »

This is a serious idea, leading to a potential breakthrough in SEO.

Today is 20Nov06 and it would be interesting to see whether (a) Google's spider picks this text up (it is quite small) and (b) how long it takes.

Any forecasts in advance welcome from resident gurus.

It's been done by taking LMH's default Font size of Tiny and changing the 7 to 1. Not exactly rocket science, I know.

Starts here:

GoogleSpider Exclusive LMHSpiderFood

End

Yes, it is there, and no jokes about Macs, this is a legit experiment.

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

If you can read this you don't need glasses
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

or you're using a PC :lol:

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

MG, I think we're winning the war.... :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, i have just been on Snowheads,and a topic on the weather patterns in Serre Chevalier is already no 3, and it was only started on Thursday. |Came across it when googling for an article on the same subject to post in the thread.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm confused... all your text (including the supposedly size=1 line) shows up as the same size to me.

Am I missing the experiment because I'm in Linux?

But I've noticed that Google indexes LMH several times a day (in fact, it has done so within the last 5 minutes), so chances are that it will get picked up...
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I'm using a screen res. of 1024/768, IE6, XPPro, and although my eyesight's not what it used to be, it might as well be a grey straight line.....

Interesting. Why should one's operating system make a difference?

MG
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Well, Linux doesn't support a lot of different fonts.

It could also be that I have a minimum font size set in my browser -- except that I have also checked the box to let pages dictate their own fonts. I'm not sure which of those wins, but judging by one particular site I read today with really tiny fonts, I'd say it isn't adhering to my minimum font size.

Anyway, it would be more interesting to see if anyone else can easily see the line that's supposed to be small, or whether I can duplicate it in Windows...

So your theory is that if the folks at home can't read the text, but Google can, it should be a new way of doing SEO? Or something else?
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jenny wrote:MG, I think we're winning the war.... :D
No chance!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Anyway, it would be more interesting to see if anyone else can easily see the line that's supposed to be small, or whether I can duplicate it in Windows...
I have no idea what this is all about but on YHM I see a ragged line. Cut and paste into Word and it still looks like a raggy line with a font size of 1. Increase the font size and there is the text.

I use a PC, XP and IE7.

Fluffy
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

vrooje wrote: So your theory is that if the folks at home can't read the text, but Google can, it should be a new way of doing SEO? Or something else?
Dangerous ground peeps! This is about one step short of the proverbial 'white text'white background' black hat SEO, and we all know how Google deals with that!!
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Apologies everyone, last night it must have been the shock of being back at high altitude, and in the clear light of day I would prefer to scrub my 'next big idea' post. A quick trawl through some SEO sites makes it seem like a very bad idea indeed.

Just out of personal curiousity it would be interesting to see if the tiny text (to some users) is picked up by Google, but then, so what? Definite chocolate kettle prize self-awarded.

It's a minor lesson to me that with our different kit we are all going to see web pages and their content very differently.

HelenB
Hi, where's the article on Snowheads? Couldn't find it. Any keywords? Just found it! That's fast positioning...

MG
(Tail between legs.)
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:Tail between legs.MG
That must be difficult, cuzzie - unless Mountain Goats have longer tails than the rest of us? :? Or you can add 'contortionist' to your long list of accomplishments! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's in Snow Reports, in Alps set for first real snow. Turned into a bit of a spat in the end, but I think they're all suffering from snow withdrawal .
:roll:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My search was Serre Chevalier weather patterns.