How to make an oven rack overnight?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
A-two

How to make an oven rack overnight?

Post by A-two »

Our latest guests are absolutely charming, arrived today for "THE BIG HOLIDAY" (Thanksgiving). I complimented Laura on how brave she was to attempt the big turkey dinner with all the trimmings for three generations in a strange kitchen. I'm not at all nervous she said, I could tell before we booked that you cook, the kitchen is so well equipped. That made me feel pretty good.

15 minutes ago the phone rang. It's Laura, she can't find the second oven rack, is there one? Hmmm...well, you know, I'm pretty sure there were two, but now you come to mention it, I'm not quite sure where the second rack might be. (Now I'm beginning to think I imagined a second one). I suggested various places she might look where it could have been stashed by another guest, and if no luck there, I would bring one of my own for her in the morning. Only one problem - I'm fairly sure my oven is wider. At this point, Laura already has something baking in the oven, so when it's finished and cooled down, she will try and measure the rack, then call me back. I know the answer already.... :(

It's too late now to rush out to the stores even if I did know the size and like Christams Eve, everything is shut down until Friday, which is too late.

She's being totally gracious about the whole thing, saying she's sure they can work around it and not to worry if one can't be found, but I FEEL TERRIBLE.

Slim chance I know, but any creative suggestions to salvage the situation? :oops:
debk

Post by debk »

No ideas at all. (Remember, I don't cook?)

But I FEEL TERRIBLE, too. So sorry. :(

I am, however, confident it will work out ok. Worse comes to worst, it may become one of their favorite Tgiving stories: "remember when... ?"

Big hug and Happy Thanksgiving,
debk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

Just a thought. Many ovens have a drip tray on the base which can double up as a second rack.

Fluffy
A-two

Post by A-two »

No drip tray unfortunately, it's electric with an element at the bottom. I already thought of giving her something that would raise a dish of something off the bottom of the oven, then put the oven shelf higher up, but OH says it's not safe as it would be too close to elements.

Thanks for the speedy response Debk and Alan, I'm beating myself up here - something so obvious, how could I have missed it? (or not missed it more to the point)

OT had a thought. The BBQ could be used to keep things warm - pretty mild and sunny here, so that might help.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

For a second I thought you meant a roasting rack for the turkey. I have great solutions for that... too bad! :)

It's a long shot, but I don't suppose your grill has racks that might fit?

True, the BBQ could even be used to cook -- but only if you have an oven thermometer! Even with it, temperature regulation is a bit scary with a grill.
Brooke
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

This won't be a lot of help because you need that rack NOW.

I managed to find some expanding oven racks that fit any standard oven at Scotts of Stow. I like the oven racks to look good but it's not always possible to expect the cleaners to scrub the racks on changeover days so if they are really mucky I put the spare ones in and then can clean the others at my leisure using rubber gloves, Oven Pride and Brillo pads, which is quite time consuming. I also keep spare grill pans for the same reason.

I found it just wasn't worthwhile cleaning roasting tins so keep a good supply of cheapies and just replace them as and when.

Hope you have found some way for your guest to deal with this. Here's hoping she cleans the oven as well!!

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving :)
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
enid

Post by enid »

Nothing to add re the tray ( I always use a roasting tin that fits where the rack does).... but here's a Thanksgiving puzzle for you - happy holiday :D

http://www.jigzone.com/daily-jigsaw.php
debk

Post by debk »

Great puzzle! Confirms that I am indeed slower than average. 12:15

My mother would be ashamed. :oops: :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving,
debk
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Joanna,

sorry I have no idea where you live in relation to your holiday place - can you offer to do the cooking bit at yours, then take it round to guests?? I'm sure you've already considered that option ...just a wild stab

I sympathise. This is the sort of situation that gives me a crashing migraine. :cry:
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Is there a micowave in the house? My microwave has grills on different length legs which could be put into my oven to use a an extra shelf at a push.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well done debk - miles slower than you at 18.25!!!

Kathy
A-two

Post by A-two »

Didn't hear anything else last night, but before 10am this morning, OH gave them an oven shelf from a commercial building we have that has a kitchen with an older style oven by the same manufacturer (GE). Fingers crossed, that fit.

They said they still hadn't found the other shelf, and that if this one wasn't any good, their plan B was to use the BBQ. There is an oven thermometer there, also 2 microwaves (neither with a combo oven unfortunately). The BBQ should work fine, to cook or to keep things warm, except it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale.... :( The weather could have been kinder, but it is very close to the kitchen underneath the deck, which keeps most of the rain off, so I just have all fingers and toes crossed that something worked out for them (or they drank enough wine not to care).

Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful suggestions and support! I did think of cooking a dish for them, but never had the opportunity to offer and didn't want to rush round like a crazy person with an unwanted gift. Squirrel, that's a great suggestion to get a spare shelf or two in case there's no time to clean them up, or a guest hides one of them...... :evil:

I can see a refund in my future, but I know the money is not the issue here. We'll see what they say, but this is definitely an unforgettable Thanksgiving for us!

Enjoyed the puzzle, 14.53 and that's the closest I get to a pumpkin pie! (not my favorite)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Happy Thanksgiving Joanna. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day without any further client calls from your guests. Pity about the weather.

Saludos,
Maria

(Here, many people still sunbathing on the beach in November!!)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hope Thanksgiving went well Joanna :D

Thats Good Maria,

Can I book 10 days of sunshine from
December 6th-16th :wink: ....Thanks
A-two

Post by A-two »

Sorry, forgot to tell you the end of this story. All's well that ends well. They had a wonderful time, extended their stay for two extra days and want to book another week for next year.
Oh happy day!

(still one rack short of an oven)