Cleaning windows

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
KathyG

Cleaning windows

Post by KathyG »

Hi,

Has anyone got any brilliant tips on the quickest method of cleaning windows? Will very soon have 27 windows :roll: to clean in preparation for Christmas/New Year guests and Windowlene/Mr Muscle are ok for the odd window but take forever to clean up all the resulting smears. :evil: Is vinegar and brown paper still the way to go? If so, where does one get brown paper from??

Please help or I'll go insane after the first half dozen :roll: :evil:

Thank you,

Kathy
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Best tip is a squirt of washing up liquid in a bucket of water, a sponge and a window cleaner's rubber swipe cleaner (which you can buy at any diy shop). Alot less 'elbow grease' than using spray glass cleaners!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Kathy,
I do the same as Crystal.

I did buy one of them Super Duper magnetic sponges that you see on markets that you clean both sides of the window at the same time but it wasnt very Super Duper for me as the magnet wasnt strong enough so it kept dropping off.... :roll:

So it was back to square one. :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Best tip is a squirt of washing up liquid in a bucket of water

Totally agree - but if you use Fairy, which of course is the best, it's just the tiniest drop in a bucket - any more and you'll have to deal with smears.

MG
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

MG, I think you'll have to be more precise than that, otherwise you'll have a lot of unhappy window cleaners coming after you with wet sponges. How many mls of Fairy Liquid to how many litres of water. And what colour? Green? Yellow?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

but if you use Fairy
Hi MG You were up bright & early this morning :wink:

Are we allowed to advertise on here.....are you expecting to be sent loads of free washing up liquid????? :roll:

And does it leave your hands[or hooves] as soft as you face...la la la with mild green fairy liquid........[cut] :wink:
garlic

Post by garlic »

I put 'quite a lot' (sorry GG don't know the exact measurement) of vinegar in with my tiny drop of (unbranded) washing up liquid it really does work a treat for shiny sparkly windows and I do like my windows shiny and sparkly :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well I'm shocked! So good old vinegar and brown paper are out, and Fairy Liquid's in - I'm sure the house will smell much nicer too! :D

So do you all use that for the inside of the windows too? Don't you get water sloshed everywhere?

Kathy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Looks like I was posting at the same time as you Garlic. So vinegar AND washing up liquid then, any type of vinegar? I guess you shouldn't use Malt?

Kathy
garlic

Post by garlic »

I just use the cheap white stuff they sell in the supermarkets. It really does leave the windows very sparkly.

Woman obsessed by windows :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Brilliant! I'll give that a go then - knew I could rely on all you cleaning-obsessed people!! :roll:

Kathy
garlic

Post by garlic »

Oh and method: Get your bucket of hot water, small dollop of washing up liquid large dollop of vinegar. wet your sponge in the mix and wring it a little so it's not dripping (you don't need lots of water on the windows) wash away backwards and forwards up and down and round in little circles. Place a folded old towel on the window sill to catch any drips but there shouldn't be many. Use your squidgy dingler window washer tool to pull the water down the windows (I then soak it up with a bit of kitchen towel). Sometimes there is a tiny smear where the dinglers tracks have met if so just a teensy bit of the blue window cleaner and a soft cloth to polish of the last tiny smears.

I dooo like my windows clean :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Dingler?? New one on me! Thanks Garlic for that very comprehensive explanation, I'll dig out my squeegee thing (dingler?) and give it a go, will let you know how it goes but I'm not out there till the middle of Dec.

Kathy
enid

Post by enid »

after using Garlic's method give a final rub dry with newspaper - that adds a great shine too :D
debk

Post by debk »

hint: do it really badly and hubby will take over

windows and towels, our passions never end :D
debk