Reciprocal links - do they work?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Meanwhile I have been telling Le Facteur how useless his site is... :)

It's beautiful when you get there, but it is pretty much invisible to search engines. You do need to achieve a balance. Anyway he is working on that.

To answer the question: reciprocal links are probably a good thing if they are with relevant websites - relevant to what your site is about. Relevant one-way links to your site are better. That is about the sum of my knowedge on these things. As mentioned earler, www.highrankings.com has a lively forum dedicated to this sort of thing where SEO people discuss the latest ways to charm Google et al. Avoid link farms.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The news is I now can get even less than I got before and that wasnt much :?

No Alan......not that :wink: ..... ps I was kidding as well. :wink: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,
Meanwhile I have been telling Le Facteur how useless his site is...
Is it pretty or pretty useless? I don’t know. I just thought it looked stunning even if I was the only one who saw it.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alan ,One & a half counting me :roll:

I thought the one page I got was as well[its changed now though hasnt it] :roll:
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'm kidding. Once someone gets to see it it's excellent, it's just that not many will find it through a search engine as is.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I wish to add my congratulations to this witty and original website. I loved the cartoon characters, the boo-ing dog, the old photo on the front page and the grumpy-looking logo figure with his trolly. All in all, a refreshing and thought-provoking example of what's tended to become a bit of a routine product.

It's a cruel rule but, when you do have a terrific product, anything within it that's not fully up to speed does stand out in stark relief. I was disappointed with some of the photographs which didn't do justice to the rest of the website. Too many 'signs', a couple of poor pictures (both technically and creatively) like the 'Luberon' and 'Still More Towns' links shots. Such a clever quirky website cries out for some clever quirky images to complement it.

I'm making a harsh judgement because such a 95% brilliant product only needs a bit of tweaking to go the whole hog. Shame not to make that extra effort for the 100%.

I loved it.

Jim
Le Facteur

Thanks to everyone

Post by Le Facteur »

Being a little A.D.D and distracted by work in different corners of the globe I don't touch base with LMH quite as often as I'd like.

I've just found myself with a little time to spare and have been cruising your various posts in response to mine about links etc. Thank you for all your kind comments about the site as well as your constructive suggestions. I'll be sure to spread the praise where it is due and work on the suggestions.

All the best to all of you and thanks again.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Le Facteur - loads more visible when I click on now - such a pleasure - well it was the first time too; just love it! The website and the property. Tout à fait incroyable.

Didn't read all of the text thoroughly, but did spot a spello - 'caliber'(US)/'calibre' has been given an extra 'i'.

The only real criticism I would have as a prospective guest is that there is no picture of the 'private swimming pool', nor how close it is to the property. For those rates, I'd expect it to be very close.

Good luck, and keep us (cough) posted!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Le Facteur

Post by Le Facteur »

Well spotted. Thanks for that. We're working on the pool shot but (cough) frankly the proximity will be tough to change...

De dum!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Le Facteur, it's a stunning site and a stunning property, but my quibble would be that it took me some time to work out how many people it would sleep, and in how many bedrooms. Maybe I'm being dim and it's really obvious, but it wasn't to me.

You have ample space to add a little to your summary on the 'House' page, which is where I expected to see it. You just need to add 'X bedrooms, X bathrooms, sleeps X' at the end of the little bit about Menerbes.

Regards,
Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
marcus

Post by marcus »

as everyone has already said, completely beautiful site and property, but even links aren't going to help it get found by search engines since it is all frames and no text

But I wonder, are you hoping to get visitors find the site directly, or just send them there from other advertising material. In reality many owners never get visitors directly to their site from search engines.

It takes quite a lot of effort (and a little bit of cash) to do the search engine stuff, but is very effective, so it depends on your plans. If you want advice about either links or SEO just ask and i'll be happy to offer advice (I just got a site to no 2 in google.com for 'Dordogne' so I can say that :D )

cheers
paolo

Post by paolo »

marcus wrote:If you want advice about either links or SEO just ask and i'll be happy to offer advice (I just got a site to no 2 in google.com for 'Dordogne' so I can say that :D )
Yes please, spill the beans!

I see that site also has a pagerank of 3 (for the homepage) so that shows how little attention we should pay to PR.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
marcus

Post by marcus »

hmmm, that's strange they've just wound toolbar PR back to where it was many months ago - that site was a pr4 this morning. Still, like you say not important, but I guess it will change again soon.

Further answer (perhaps) to follow later...

edit: actually after a cup of tea and a mars bar i've decided not to post an explanation here, because what has taken me a long time to learn might benefit people who may be lurking here, possibly to my detriment. Sorry to be an old grump.

Paolo I will send you a PM in the next day or so, and a copy to anyone else who asks :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Marcus, consider yourself asked! Thanks in advance. :)
Brooke