Gmail

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Nessie

Gmail

Post by Nessie »

Ok, I know this is a silly question but when using gmail I am unable to copy and paste text to the main body of the email. Can copy and paste email addresses and subject matter but not any text. What am I doing wrong. No problems in doing this with outlook or other programmes, as this was wrote in word and copied
Nessie
debk

Post by debk »

Nessie, I sometimes experience this when using gmail with internet explorer. (Since I normally use firefox, it's not much of a problem... but occasionally my husband opens IE and I get into a gmail email and realize how irritating/impossible it would be to try to use IE/Gmail together all the time on my pc.)

Have you tried using a different browser?
debk
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Interesting. I'm using IE6/PC/XPPro with Googlemail and no problems copy/pasting from Word 2000 to email body.

If Rich Formatting 'on' it carries the Word formatting across with no loss; if toggled to Plain Text formatting is lost, but to be expected.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, et al, no probs for me with IE and word xp, just checked it out on work PC this morning. Normally use Firefox though.
debk

Post by debk »

Strangely, yesterday my husband was not able to copy/paste from this pc's gmail/IE6/XP... and I just tried it now and it's working fine.

I've never had this problem with firefox and google.
debk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Now we are talking about failing[technical wise] I can join in....

I have emails sent to me some quite funny and clean.......
but I cant seem to put them on here I cut & paste but when i try to add them to the reply page on LMH the picture is displayed but the LMH page disappears.

Also some things I get [mostly word] I cant seem to paste & click.

I know its probably me but what :? :roll: .........
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

No Ros its not just you. i am sure i did not have the problem a month ago and nothing changed since then.I have also received information where i have needed to copy paste text and forward on , but have been unable to.
Today i ended up copy pasteing in outlook and sending the mail to gmail then forwarding the mail on, had to do that as i know wanadoo through outlook would have blocked the address i was sending it to
Nessie
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Nessie,

I just copied and pasted your original post onto the main body of my gmail account, no problem.

Walk us through what you are doing, because this should not be a problem.

Ros,

You need to look at something like imageshack.us Upload what you want, then copy and past the outcome into the body of the post that you are about to make.
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Nessie,

A thought :idea: .......delete your temporary Internet files, and try the C and P again. Also this will speed up any virus scan you do.
Cheers
PC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Nessie, you can put your gmail settings onto Outlook if that helps.
Use the 'configure settings' option in the forwarding and POP settings in gmail for instructions. It also puts a copy into your gmail too. I do this for mail I need a read receipt for.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Thanks Paul , deleted the temp files it did not seem to work , but was worth doing .

MG I am no techie however i changed the formatting , it was rich formatting ,changed to plain text and it would then allow me to paste and i can then switch back to rich and the contents is all there. Well thanks everybody at least that one headache less
Nessie