Cancellation charges

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
cromercrabholiday

Cancellation charges

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Hi

Last year, I think that some of you thought that we were being a bit optimistic to expect a client to make up a shortfall when they decided they couldn't afford to come (having bought a house). You may remember that after reminders for a couple of months, they paid up - I think that it was around £100.

Jane got a call today from the same client wanting to book for last week in January. This is normally a dead time in UK (it is the client's birthday). So success - clearly, they didn't feel that they were being mistreated.

John

PS - yes, they will send us the cash upfront!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

We had some regular guests had to cancel their 5th visit (in 4 years) at very short notice due to Margaret's illness. They said they'd arrive the Sunday instead of Saturday then couldn't make it at all. We emailed and said they can either come off season free or during the season at a 50% reduction. Too generous? Maybe but Margaret rang saying they hadn't expected anything at all and I'd restored her faith in people!

This might not have been the by the book, right decision but I feel it was the right one for us and we look forward to welcoming them many times in future.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Both :D

We had someone cancel a week before he was due to come[peak weeks] as his daughter was seriously ill[thought it was meningitis] in hospital...It must have been serious as she was in hospital a while.
He let me know so I wouldnt worry why he hadnt turned up and he didnt expect anything back...
After she recovered I said he could come later in the year for nothing...but because hed has his weeks hols he couldnt...
Anyway she made a complete recovery...[I sent a small chq and asked him to buy her something.]....
He booked the next year and I gave him a big discount[said he could come for free off peak but because of schools etc he couldnt but he was very pleased with that and had a great holiday[albeit a year late]
He also got refunded from his holiday Insurance[although it took a while] for his flts and house rental money...I had to send letters etc to the Insurers which I was happy to do..

I wonder if other people who cancel know they might be able to :roll:
Fraise

Re: Cancellation charges

Post by Fraise »

cromercrabholiday wrote:Hi

Last year, I think that some of you thought that we were being a bit optimistic to expect a client to make up a shortfall when they decided they couldn't afford to come (having bought a house). You may remember that after reminders for a couple of months, they paid up - I think that it was around £100.

Jane got a call today from the same client wanting to book for last week in January. This is normally a dead time in UK (it is the client's birthday). So success - clearly, they didn't feel that they were being mistreated.

John

PS - yes, they will send us the cash upfront!
John, thanks for letting us know- it's great to get to hear the end of a saga ! They obviously didn't feel hard done by.I think the WAY we do things sometimes is just as important as what we actually do,you must have done it thoughfully .Good result ! :wink:
Stu

Post by Stu »

We had a similar cancellation last year, and all we can say to folks is to take out a good holiday insurance! Our guest paid in full as well, but we didn't manage to fill their week as it really was short notice!

Good result though John! Well done!