Looking for a Property Management Company in Fuerteventura

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Lizzy

Looking for a Property Management Company in Fuerteventura

Post by Lizzy »

Hi

Does anyone know a good property management company in Fuerteventura, We are looking for one just bought a house there. Can anybody recommend one looked at a few on the net but I think it would be better if I can find someone who has had first hand experience with one, I would very much like to hear from you.

Lizzy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I may be totally wrong on this, but my sister looked for property there. There was some sort of restrictions in place on renting out property, and difficult to find someone to look after it for her. They bought in Portugal instead.
oskar

Post by oskar »

Not wanting to send you offsite, Lizzy, but you´ll probably get a good response posting your question here...............

http://www.fuerteventura-forum.com
annemf

Post by annemf »

Hi Lizzy

we also own on Fuerteventura and the forum is a great place to get info on absolutely anything you need help with.

Good luck with your property.

Anne
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

HelenB wrote:I may be totally wrong on this, but my sister looked for property there. There was some sort of restrictions in place on renting out property, and difficult to find someone to look after it for her. They bought in Portugal instead.
Hi, Lizzy!

Helen is right, but don't worry about it. There is a bizzarre law which applies to the Canary Islands only which has been in force since 1995. Everybody ignores it anyway but the bones of it are:

If your property is in a "holiday complex" then all lettings to holidaymakers have to be through a single company. If your property is in a "Residential complex" then different laws apply and holiday letting is not permitted. If your property is stand-alone (freehold) then none of these laws apply and you can do what you like with it.

We have two properties in Gran Canaria, one in a residental complex and one in a holiday complex and we let both (rather successfully - see my availability calendars!). We are just careful not to mention the names of the complexes in our advertising because being seen to be advertising them is the one thing that might lead to trouble. So, the Canaries is a great place to own holiday rental properties.

To answer your question about management companies, I have always used a local individual - that way I get very personal and committed service. I manage the lettings myself, so that renters deal directly with the owner. Next time you're out there make enquiries among ex-pats - you'll soon find someone who is keen to make a bit of money for a few hours a week. Swimming pools are a bit different, so if your property has its own private pool, then you do need a pool maintenance company to look after it.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
oskar

Post by oskar »

If your property is in a "Residential complex" then different laws apply and holiday letting is not permitted.
Not quite correct. On a residential development, the Law of Horizontal Division applies, and under that law you are permitted to rent out your property to "family and friends". It´s on the legal definition of the latter of these where the law has foundered, and no one has been successfully prosecuted for renting out.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Reading all of this the question "why bother inviting hassle ?" springs to mind.If you are buying to rent out then there are lots of other places to choose! If you are buying just as a holiday home for yourself then it sounds good ! :roll:
oskar

Post by oskar »

Reading all of this the question "why bother inviting hassle ?" springs to mind.If you are buying to rent out then there are lots of other places to choose!
Yes, there are lots of other places to choose but the Canaries represent one of the best areas for rental return with a year round season due to their climate. 99.9% of owners have no hassle.
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

oskar wrote:
Reading all of this the question "why bother inviting hassle ?" springs to mind.If you are buying to rent out then there are lots of other places to choose!
Yes, there are lots of other places to choose but the Canaries represent one of the best areas for rental return with a year round season due to their climate. 99.9% of owners have no hassle.
The local Canarian by-laws on the use of private holiday homes by holidaymakers are a mess, totally confusing and poorly drafted. They conflict not only with superior Canarian civil law but also with the Main Spanish Constitutional law.

Suffice to say we have been operating for 4 years, has Oskar as correctly stated, under the current "family and friends" concession allowed for residential apartments without any significant problems.

The major problems on a residential site can stem from your neighbours attitudes rather than any legal position.

The question of advertising private apartments etc is also an interesting one.

People have tried to tell me that my own personal internet websites is also illegal advertising but I am at a loss to understand how local Canarian law can have any precedent which would prevent me establishing a UK based site for the apartments.