Any other Greek owners here?

For topics that are specific to Greece, please go here.
cooper

Any other Greek owners here?

Post by cooper »

I'm suprised Greece doen't have its own forum subject. I don't know the official stats, but Greece has to be one of the top 3 or so destinations from the UK and Germany and for Americans travelling into Europe.
I live and work in Greece, moving here 3 yrs ago. I've learnt a HUGE amount - not least that my perspective of Greece from London was way off the mark! It's a lovely place, and has much to make it a great place to live/work but doing business here with Greeks, crawling your way thru the beauracracy, having to deal with what they call 'fakilaki' (extra payment in an envellope) can drive one back to the UK. BUt not yet!

Its a growing (fast) holiday destination. They are building 15 Faldo type golf resorts (a la La Manga) and sorting out their beaches (white not brown sand, and too much rubbish). Anyone else out there on this forum from Greece or am I a lone voice??
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Michael,

I didn't give Greece its own forum subject but I will if there are a few posts from owners. Why don't you spread the word over there? :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Cambia

Post by Cambia »

Hi Michael

You are quite right, Greece deserves its own forum.

We have a holiday house in Crete which we rent out. Unfortunately it is taking a long time to get the EOT license which approves us to rent, so we are not too upfront about advertising at the moment! We are going out in May for three weeks and hope to finally sort this then. Your mention of fakilaki made me smile. Our accountant is working on getting our license and fakilaki is a probability!

Congratulations on your web site, it really is impressive. I want to have a go at doing this once we get our license.

There are lots of houses being built in NW Crete for holiday homes and I am sure that it would be really useful for people to use the forum. There is lots of stuff to learn and it is really good to get ideas and help from people that have experience.

Our house was finished about three years ago and we have lots of friends in Crete. I try hard with the language but at the moment we have to work full time in England and only get out two or three times a year, so I struggle! We are gradually getting out for longer periods though.

I gather you are on the mainland? This is on our list to visit as we have only passed through Athens. We have visited lots of islands over the years before choosing Crete to build.

Good to see your message - best wishes

Cambia
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, Cambia. Image

Don't forget to spread the word in Crete - I'm giving Greece its own forum to celebrate your arrival!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
antigonos0

any greeks around here?

Post by antigonos0 »

Hi to all
i am lloking for rental lisitng site with no commissions
THe most eficient ones!
Andy
Corfudeb

Post by Corfudeb »

Hello all Greek property owners!
We are property owners in Corfu and have struggled for three years to get to grips with the greek burocracy. I could write a book! We think we are just begining to understand the rules but then the rules suddenly change....
Best wishes
Corfudeb
Hold on to your dreams!
antigonos0

Hi Corfudeb explain Rules ?

Post by antigonos0 »

Corfudeb wrote:Hello all Greek property owners!
We are property owners in Corfu and have struggled for three years to get to grips with the greek burocracy. I could write a book! We think we are just begining to understand the rules but then the rules suddenly change....
Best wishes
Corfudeb
Hi
Can you let us know how you rent your house (concerning rules)

Thanks
Andy