Internet Explorer 7 question

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

Internet Explorer 7 question

Post by Normandy Cow »

IE7 got automatically installed onto my PC recently.

Not too sure how much I like it (although I do like the new tabs feature), but I have noticed something which is different and I don't know how to fix. In IE6, when you hovered over a link, I'm sure the address of where the link was pointing to would be displayed at the bottom-left of the window? You could then decide whether or not you wanted to click on the link.

Does anyone know how I can reinstate this feature in IE7?
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

I don't have it here on the office PC, but I'll have a look when I get home and see if I can spot anything.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Vally

Post by Vally »

I think IE7 is a law unto its self...I installed it and it caused mayhem on my competer , so I uninstalled it and it left bits behind...had to get on to the nice man on the help line in the end ..now working perfectly...but I prefer the old one , I haven't read the instructions( never do) about the tabs so don't know how they are a bonus!! :oops:
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

On the top righthand side of the browser you will see a butoon called "Tools". Clicking on that gives you a drop down menu; select "Toolbars" then select "Status Bar", you should be back to normal.

Or as normal as MS can manage, anyway! :wink:

Hope that helps.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks Andy - U R A Star!

(The main problem was that I didn't know it was called the "Status bar", so even when I went into the help system I didn't know what to search for!)
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

it is worth following discussions here : http://www.drkeyboard.net/viewtopic.php?t=3454

This is a techie forum for non techies !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks for that Peter, I wasn't aware of that forum but I have now bookmarked it for future reference...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Me too - thanks Peter!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Anyone else finding IE 7 slow? The back button on the mouse and the screen is giving me trouble. I switched off the phishing tool just now and hoping that makes a difference, otherwise I'm getting ready to junk it.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hummm Joanna,

I thought it was me, obviously not. Frankly, so far I am not a fan.
Cheers
PC
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Joanna
I feel the phishing tool slows things down too. IE7 has messed all of my toolbars up and I can't find anything even going to options. The thing I've lost is the links I've dragged onto the toolbar, grrrrr.
enid

Post by enid »

Use Firefox :D
A-two

Post by A-two »

enid wrote:Use Firefox :D
Enid, I do use Firefox, but unfortunately, a key business site that I can't live without and use every day only runs on IE, and with the browser helper disabled, so I can't even have the Google Toolbar running.

Sue, I agree with you, I like the tabs, but the toolbar is not an improvement and I just timed out on my first attempt to reply to this with only 2 tabs open.

Hovering over the restore button here.....
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Well, I have had enough, I just don't like it, So now I am giving Firefox a go, Joanna, the following link will let you have the Google tool bar when using Firefox

http://tools.google.com/firefox/toolbar/index.html
Cheers
PC
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I have neither a love not a hate relationship with Microsoft; I simply use the bits of their products which are useful to me.

Recently I replaced IE6 by downloading and installing IE7. It was all totally painless and affected nothing else on my network. I don’t think it’s either slower or faster than IE6. For me, the only major change is the addition of the tabbed browsing facility but since I rarely use tabbed browsing I’m not impressed one way or the other.

The browsers I use regularly are IE, Firefox and Netscape and the one I like least, by a long way, is Netscape. Netscape was my favourite browser until AOL cast its shadow over it, now it’s not.

Fluffy