Whoops.... this'll cost 'em

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
kessa

Whoops.... this'll cost 'em

Post by kessa »

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so first of all - hello! It's nice to be here and I'm looking forward to making lots of new friends :-)
(I hope that I've posted this in the right place - my apologies if not.)

I don't know if this may be of any use to anyone, but I recently received a special offer email which I thought may be of interest to other holiday home owners, so I though I'd pop it on here.

It's from a holiday rental website called "Discovery Villas" and it allows you to advertise your holiday home for £15 instead of £65

I registered with them a while ago but never got around to adding my property. I think this recent email is aimed at getting people like myself to complete the registration process (which I have now done) but there doesn't seem to be any restriction on the discount code (i.e. it doesn't seem to be unique per user) so I thought others may be able to benefit...... at least, until they catch on :-)

I've copied the discount code and instructions from the email below (I've changed the first step to provide a link to their registration form rather than the login form):

1) Visit their website and register for an account - discoveryvillas.co.uk/admin/register.asp
2) Once logged in, click the "Add a New Property" link
3) Enter the discount code "......" - This is the important bit!
4) Make your payment
5) Complete your advert
6) Click the "Request Activation" link

Like I say, you'll probably need to be quick in case they pull the plug on this (but if they don't, according to the email the code itself is valid until 31st December 2006)

Enjoy!
Jim
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

"Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here".....quote from Star Trek..star date unknown!!

Beam me up Scotty!! :roll: :roll:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Dear Jim...........sod it, what's the point :roll: :roll:
Cheers
PC
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Paul & Crystal,

Come on it's Christmas next week. Be kind :oops: :oops: :oops:

It is a bit more original than the usual stuff, n'est pas?

Robert
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Lesblancs wrote:Paul & Crystal,

Come on it's Christmas next week. Be kind :oops: :oops: :oops:

It is a bit more original than the usual stuff, n'est pas?

Robert
Ok, Sorry Lesblancs you right, good will to all sites, PR 4 not bad! Check out the extensive French listing.
Cheers
PC
nick2

pr4

Post by nick2 »

What is a pr4?
oskar

Post by oskar »

roxytoo

new website

Post by roxytoo »

paolo

Post by paolo »

Kieran, sorry I mean Jim,

Even when you are plugging your own site you should include a link to your property so we know you are a real honest owner and not another listing site owner looking to make lots of new friends :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Merry Christmas Jim,

When I originally posted I was being kindly sarcastic.

Everyone on this forum knows after the first few lines exactly what you are up to, but the 'better read' can really make you look a bit stupid.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but often honesty is a better policy. :( IMHO. LMH seem to get one of these most weeks.

Robert
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

nick2,

I think your question got a bit lost, sorry about that. Do a search for "Google Page Rank" and you will more information than you can shake a stick at.
Cheers
PC
marcus

Post by marcus »

I love these kind of threads, always cheer me up.

Jim, despite your unusual approach to business your site looks pretty good.

Even free listing sites have a job getting people to list unless they can show a good reason why someone would want to bother - if I were you I would offer free listings for a while until you have a much wider range of properties.

Then worry about getting bookings in for those properties until people want to pay to remain listed with you. A rental owner and their money aren't easily parted!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Just to clear this up, anyone thinking there is a connection between friend-seeking Jim/Kieran and Discovery Villas is just plain wrong in the head because as this email makes perfectly clear the fact is that they would never do something like this...
Dear Paolo,

I have recently been made aware of a post on your site
(viewtopic.php?t=3365) which contains information which is private and confidential.

The discount code in the email was a valid code, but was never meant to be distributed on the web. We must therefore kindly ask that this post be deleted with immediate effect, and thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

On a slightly different issue, I would also like to clear up that although I do use the tag / name of "Kessa", neither I or Jo posted this post, or use the name "Jim" (if you look at any of our legitimate posts you will see that they are always signed "Kessa". We have *never* performed anything like this as is suggested by some members on your forum)

We have a good name, and work hard to maintain that. We run Discovery Villas in our spare time (and it actually cost us more to run, than it generates in income) and so we take great offence at the implications that we would ever do anything as unethical as some of your guests imply.

However, we do appreciate that it does look like the post has come from us as "Jim" has used the name "Kessa" - I'm not sure who posted this (or why) but I can assure you that it was not us.... (which could probably be verified if you check your IP logs?)

Kindly remove the post in question with immediate effect and confirm to this email address when this has been done.

Kind regards and have a very merry Christmas,
Kieran and Jo Thomas
Discovery Villas Ltd
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:? I am one confused goat.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
marcus

Post by marcus »

Your confusion will grow if you look at the glowing reference in the spain-holiday.com site mentioned above:
Thanks Jim, I was just about to sign up with holiday-rentals but they wanted to charge me over £150 (and that's not including the extras). I know that they've got a good reputation, but I think my home would have got lost with so many holiday homes....so for fifteen quid I figured I couldn't go far wrong! (Plus they seem to have loads of testimonials so all so far so good)...Jo
By terrible unfortunate coincidence the poster is called Jo, the same as the other owner of the company.

What bad luck all round.