WHAT ABOUT TURKEY

For topics that are specific to Turkey, please go here.
barmaidfromhell

WHAT ABOUT TURKEY

Post by barmaidfromhell »

Are myself and Rimms the only owners of propery in Turkey?
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi my home is in Turkey too. How did you come about buying yours?

My husband is Turkish and we bought it primarily as a base to be near his family.

I also love the area we are in Dikili/Bergama which is an added bonus though there are no other foreigners there at the moment.

I do plan to retire there some day what about you?
Always Learning
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

Hanorah, I just wanted to let you know that when you view your site: http://www.villahanorah.co.uk/ in Firefox (an alternate to IE) it runs all together with some of the text being over some of the images and some of the text being over other text. I think Firefox is only 10% of the market but just wanted to let you know. Hope it helps.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Rich,

From a couple of your recent posts:-
Ahh yet another reason to browse with Firefox. Firefox has no problem resizing any text, including this forum.

In Firefox (an alternate to IE) it runs all together with some of the text being over some of the images and some of the text being over other text.
It rather looks as though all browsers have their individual problems so in reality how is one actually better than another?

By the way, isn't the latest version of an old favourite (Netscape) just a fancy version of Mozilla Firefox?

Alan
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

What a nightmare how can it look fine in Dreamweaver and also internet explorer but not in Firefox. Does this mean there is a problem with the layout of my site or does this browser have problems with dreamweaver. I just wouldn't know how to go about making it compatible in both. With dreamweaver I have used layers and tables and it looks fine.

I would imagine the problem must be with Firefox rather than my site or the coding generated from dreamweaver which is the package of choice for a lot of people. If any technical wizards know how to sort this easily without a total redesign I would appreciate it. If not then I will leave it as is as other sites designed in dreamweaver must be having the same problems in Firefox.
Always Learning
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hanorah,

I'm sure Dreamweaver isn't the problem... I use Dreamweaver and my pages look fine in Firefox. However, I also usually use the code view of DW, so I know exactly what it's doing all the time. I can then stop it from doing weird stuff with the code that may not be compatible with all browsers.

In my experience, Firefox sometimes has issues with div tags. I use tables instead, because they're an older code standard and I'm sure they'll work with all browsers. In general, the more fancy your code gets, the less likely it will be to work with browsers other than IE.

I believe Tony is more experienced with this than I am, though -- he's the one I'd ask for advice! :)

Cheers!
Brooke
rachel

Post by rachel »

Just joined - Your last post was in January have you found any other Turkey contacts since then?

I love it there - the country, people, food... looking forward to my next trip in May
Jo Tomkinson

Another one for Turkey

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

Sorry, I have property in Turkey, too, but only just got round to telling you. We shall be going over in 3 weeks and really looking forward to it.

Jo
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Its good to meet some other Turkey owners on this site. How are your bookings going for 2005? Are you living in Turkey or the UK? It's a great country isn't it. Take Care Sharon
Always Learning
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

We still live in the UK and have only stayed in our villas once which was when we set them up last year.

Bookings OK for this year - For the two villas we have booked a total of 27 weeks (it was 17 last year as it was our first year and the villas weren't completeduntil early June), so fairly pleased. We need to book a total of 26 weeks to break even on all our costs, loans etc. Hopefully, it will build up as time goes on through recommendation etc.

I've had a look at both your sites (Jamera and Hanorah) and they are both pretty impressive. I am just a novice with websites and am learning as I go along.

Glad there are some other Turkey owners on this site especially as we are in different areas as we can swap notes without treading on each others toes. On that note, where do you find it best to advertise? We haven't actually paid for internet advertising yet - keep looking, and although I have read other comments on the forum of who people recommend, not sure whether some of the recommendations would apply to Turkey. Your advice would be appreciated.

Jo
rachel

Post by rachel »

We're doing OK for bookings this year too - one more booking til we've broken even this year - much as we want the bookings, it means that my partners & I can't get to use the villa ourselves.

Most of our advertising has been on the free listing sites (Self-catering-breaks, 2000villas, ocean view villas...) and using pay per click with google to get us on the 1st page. There aren't really many Turkey listings sites or association pages are there - without them being run by estate agents. We've only paid for 1 ad - on flightline.co.uk. I think the best investment has been google - the stats are showing that most referrals come from our own site.

Thanks for the comments about the site - this is it's 2nd incarnation - but all my own work playing with FrontPage - is this what you're using?

Rache
Tykatem

Post by Tykatem »

Hi..........we're also owners of property in Turkey, though just an apartment in the Olu Deniz area. Though we've owned the place for over a year now, we kept it to ourselves last year.

This being our first season for renting and i'm fairly pleased with bookings to date, although we are picking up hints and tips all the time. Having seen your websites (Hanorah, Jo & Rachel) I see we have still plenty to learn.

Let's hope we can all share any useful information that would be of mutual benefit.

Pete

www.Tykatem.co.uk
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi Pete welcome aboard a great forum. Your website looks great very professional I am impressed. If I can be of any help do not hesitate to let me know. My husband is Turkish so we hope to settle there for our retirment or a bit before if I have anything to do with it. What are your long term plans? Take Care sharon
Always Learning
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

Rachel, thanks for the heads up on 2000villas and Ocean View Villas, I have promptly added them to my list of Free Listing sites (see link below). In view of your ..... I assume you have found other sites - any others I haven't spotted yet?

thanks, regards, Jim
rachel

Post by rachel »

Hi Jim - Just spotted another:

SelfCatering-directory.co.uk

The problem with these sites is that they may be free, but do they get good rankings? I remember Self-catering-breaks being high on the rankings last year, but this year they're not featuring as well - perhaps worth an email to find out why

How have you determined your advertising? Are paid sites value for money?
Rache