Cushions for pool loungers

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Ju

Cushions for pool loungers

Post by Ju »

We have just had a note from previous guests noting some of the things they were not happy about during their stay last year. (Why they waited until now I don't know!). Fortunately it came right after an e-mail from another set of guests saying how great their holiday was, and re-booking for next year.

One of the comments they made was that we don't provide cushions for the pool loungers. I don't provide them as I am concerned that after a few weeks they will look dirty and scruffy, and I am really not sure if I can maintain them properly.

What do you all do? Do you provide cushions? How do you wash them?

Ju
mario

Post by mario »

As far as I am concerned I would be extremly unhappy if I was renting a place that did not supply the cushions,I think it is essential and would not expect my guests to fork out buying them just to use the loungers.I would also buy quality ones and not cheapies.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ju,
Do you provide cushions? How do you wash them?
The simple answer is Yes.

We think it is essential to supply cushions, so we do. They are full-length quilted mattresses, colour coded to match the parasols. The cover material is a soft (dare I say fluffy?) man-made fibre so they are very easy and quick to wipe down with a light detergent mix.

They are available at the local "Brico". They are not expensive and they are not difficult to maintain. They add value, they are just another “add-on� which helps to make all the difference to a guest’s holiday.

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We have thick full length cushions for all our loungers - they have done a couple of seasons and will last at least another. They have zipped covers which can be washed seperately and as they are dark colours they do not look dirty, although they have perhaps faded a little. All our loungers are wood and would be extremely uncomfortable without cushions! We also provide cushions for the patio chairs as they are wood too and quite hard to sit on without cushions. I think lounger cushions are is something that people expect nowadays on holiday as they are available everywhere and a lot cheaper than they used to be.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Ju,
You are not alone. At the moment, we do not provide cushions either as I think that I would have to change them ever 6-8 weeks. I guess that the constant hot sun, lotions, chlorinated water would all take their toll very quickly here. Maybe I could be proven wrong. If I was living on site, I would probably provide them. I use the durable resin type tombonas available here which has a material in the centre and I have not had anyone complain yet!!!
See the link below

http://tinyurl.com/y5wbv4

Cheers,
Maria
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi Ju

It is interesting that you mention this subject as last year all our sun loungers (mesh type) were systematically broken!!!! and so we decided to stretch to paying for teak sun loungers (hoping that they're indestructable...more of that later).

At the time we just couldn't afford lounger covers so I got padded beach mats....they were ok but in August succumbed to mildew (its so humid here then & of course people lie on them wet) I was quite pleased about not paying for full length more expensive ones...however I then found a guest had hauled her duvet cover outside to use it over the sun lounger to lie on :shock: ....so at the end of the season with a bit more money in my pocket I bought some dark striped ones from the hypermarket with 'supposedly' wipe clean surfaces. They do look much nicer and I have to hope that they won't suffer mildew...
A friend advises me that I should now supply pool towels to stop the 'lying on them wet through' scenario, as guests may not use their own towels on these covers :o but I think that might be more expense..not to mention washing!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Mouse,
A friend advises me that I should now supply pool towels to stop the 'lying on them wet through' scenario, as guests may not use their own towels on these covers but I think that might be more expense..not to mention washing!
I’m now going to be totally un-fluffy.

It never occurred to either Joan or myself that guests would bring their own pool towels, we simply supply them as part of the package.

The more I listen to what is said on this Forum the more differences I discover between the approaches of owners. Some owners say “it will be more expensive�, other owners say “it will involve washing�. I say “it involves meeting the reasonable expectations of guests�.

OK, I live “on-site� so I can respond immediately to the expectations of my guests. But, at the same time, I don’t think those who live “off-site� are in any way excused from meeting the expectations of their guests. Living “off-site� should never be a get-out clause.

Fluffy
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

We got pretty expensive German patio and sunloungers that don't need covers, they are soooo comfy. However I couldn't help but notice the loungers have aslight 'odd' smell and the patio chairs don't, gave them a scrub but still there, can only assume it is the oil/sweat (gross). Personally I always put a swim towel on them but I guess not everyone does.

We don't provide swim towels but that seems the norm where we are and never had any complaints, also, the beach is only a couple of minutes away meaning taking the towels 'off site' so they can bring their own, especially as everything else including the kitchen sink is provided ie hairdryers in every room :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Ju

Post by Ju »

We do provide pool towels for everyboby, and normally people use them to spread over the loungers. I use the pool loungers myself (when I get time) and don't find them uncomfortable, which is why I never really saw it as a priority. I certainly never expected the guests to provide their own.

Alan: I have always agreed with your outlook on things. We provide anything which would make the guests stay better. If anyone had ever asked me during their holiday (as opposed to four months later) for cushions I would probably have gone out and bought them.

I guess I shall have to take a look at what is available. Can anyone give me an idea of cost? I have about 25 loungers so this is going to be quite a big cost for me. I did wonder if I could make some with washable covers but my washing machines are already at full capacity.

Ju

PS. Partridge - what stops your guests using your ordinary towels to take to the beach? I probably would if I wasn't provided with towels so we always tell the guests they are welcome to take the pool towels to the beach. I haven't yet lost a beach towel in four years (touch wood).
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Ju

We always tell guests that towels are provided but please bring their own pool/beach towels. Never had any complaints and most other owners do the same where we are, so am happy to leave as it is. I guess they could take them to the beach but they would be a bit uncomfortable after their shower with sandy towels :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
debk

Post by debk »

Code: Select all

I haven't yet lost a beach towel in four years (touch wood).
We are 30 minutes from the closest beach and don't have a pool.

However, we do provide beach towels because many of our guests go to the beaches... and who wants to pack beach towels?? :?

In total, we supply 19 beach towels, 4 coolers and numerous icepacks and, happily, none has been lost or destroyed yet.

(Slighty off-topic, but wanted to share a bit of our experience, for those accumulating info on the subject of beach towels.)
debk
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

As we all operate in different markets then its natural that expectations will be different.

Perhaps its Spanish holidaymakers - but pool towels aren't expected here either, unless of course you are renting at the luxury end of the market.
I initially offered pool towels in the first year (thinking that if I had any takers I could run out before they arrived and purchase them)...but had no takers. I therefore stopped offering in the 2nd year (although I have one or two in case guests forget them).
I'm very pleased with that - as working full time, cleaning the villa, washing & ironing 8 sets of bedding every week and 8 sets of towels every 3/4 days was quite enough thank you!! Another 8 pool towels might have pushed me over the edge!!!!!!

Mouse (who is hoping this is the year I can send out the laundry)
X
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Mouse (who is hoping this is the year I can send out the laundry)
X
But then what would we talk about :o ...

we couldnt go a whole season without stains being mentioned :wink: :roll: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

'Fraid I ask guests to bring their own pool towels, and have never had a complaint about this.

We have 6 sun-loungers, very comfortable; 4 poolside reclining chairs ditto; all but two have very good quality cushions which still look smart after 2 seasons, so the initial pain in the wallet was worth it. The remaining 2 don't have cushions as there weren't any more that matched, or even blended! I keep hoping the same design will be re-introduced... only one family referred to this however, but since the accommodation is for 8, I haven't been too worried; the recliners are fine, and not everyone wants to be flat out at the same time.

or do they? I'm not a sun-worshipper. Well, for obvious reasons. :D

Our outdoor dining chairs also have cushions.

I agree, cushions for sun-loungers are a kind thing to provide - we had a family who all seemed to suffer from varying degrees of back trouble, and even if one's lucky and has a perfectly functional spine, the added comfort is very welcome.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
debk

Post by debk »

As we all operate in different markets then its natural that expectations will be different.
True.

Besides, if all the answers were simple "yes/no" then we'd have a polling station instead of a forum.

And where's the fun in that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
debk