And another review request, please.

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Loopy Lou

And another review request, please.

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi everyone,

This is a work in progress - pictures to add and so on, but I should be grateful for your comments as to content, colour scheme, grammar, spelling, too wordy?, contradictory, repetitive, searchability and so on. I am not, repeat not, a techie and I am having this hosted for me, but I should be able to make most changes myself. So please, only plain english and helpfulness, if you would be so kind.

www.lacharronniere.com

Thanks a million.

Lou
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
centime

Post by centime »

Well done - love the colour scheme beautiful orange and that grey text - BUT my Art school eye get confused by the 2 photographs of the house with the first one leading the viewer off into the blue sky direction right out of the site! I would put next pic of the house with the tulips at the left end to lead the viewer's eye across the photographs and the other house pic at the right side like two book ends. You could try switching the pool and the interior shots to see which looked better or find a more colourful interior shot as this one looks a bit too bland for me. Not sure about the heading font size or the 2 tone colours under the poics as this comes out at you too much and detracts from the photos. Have to get back to work but hope this little helps. :wink:
Centime
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I like the colour scheme (not more sunflowers though!!!) but more and different photos are needed when you can get some - at the moment every page looks the same at first glance. You switch from using the first person plural on the homepage to the first person singular on the contact page which is a little confusing and I think the swimming pool page should be outdoors generally showing the garden as well. This page also comes across as a little negative to me, saying that it isn't heated and what you can't take into the pool for fear of damaging the liner. Wait until your guests get there before giving them the nitty gritty rules, otherwise I think it is offputting.
On the accommodation page - again, too much unecessary info regarding things like metered water (why will guests care unless you are charging them seperately??) bucket and mop, septic tanks etc., washing lines. I'd be more interested in seeing more photos, knowing there are sunloungers, BBQs, pation furniture and private dining areas outside.
On your links for the attractions page, I'd get a seperate little window to open rather than going to a new website - people might forget to go back to yours!
i don't mean to be too critical, but I think some of the info is a little jumbled and noot necessarily doing the best to sell your place. But the layout and colours are great!
Last edited by la vache! on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Very nice Lou

Just a few points:

The orange words make me think there is a link to another page on them, which there isn't.

If I were you I wouldn't mention the septic tank at this stage, you are trying to sell the idea of a holiday here and septic tanks don't fit in with that. Keep that for the instructions to visitors.

The same goes for the instructions about the pool
"Diving and leaping into the pool are not safe and so are forbidden. The management cannot accept any responsibility for any accidents that may occur to guests while they are on the premises.
Just makes me think "what accidents?" The wording is better kept for your terms and conditions.

I was surprised to see you price Easter week the same as the peak seasons. I think you may be a little under charging for the peak weeks and over charging for Easter.

Hope these coments help.

Ju

PS. I look forward to seeing some more photos.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I like the initial appearance. Others will comment on it's artistic merit !

As always I looked at the code.

You have quite a few images scattered around the first page. But there is no alt text on many of them. Why not use this to reinforce your keywords with the search engines ?

The meta tag keywords (e.g. "self catering holiday cottages" ) don't appear on the index page.

Do the meta tags reflect each pages content ? Maybe buried in the CSS.

The index page main header is : "bienvenue | welcome". ( No one searches on this ?) It should be linked to you, your location, and your keywords.

You can do much more with your meta tags on the index page in terms of content, robot visit frequency, etc.

http://www.lacharronniere.com/calender.php does not have a unique page title.

Search Engine Optimisation is not a dirty tricks game. It is mainly ensuring that the robots can recognise the important features of your site. There is little point in having a site that is beautiful, but no one finds it ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

One of the most pleasant holiday home websites I have seen in ages.

I loved the layout, shape and graphics, with just the right amount of text per page. I particularly like the subtle use of orange words embedded in the text to highlight words and phrases - so much smarter than traditional use of bold. By the way, I did not, like Ju, think they were links. Which just goes to show how we all view things differently - an important lesson in website design and why we have these reviews.

But then you didn't post here for us just to sing the praises. If I am forced to comment, I do have a few observations, and if you ignore them all, its still a fab website. I agree with many of the comments above, and if I duplicate any, its probably significant:

1. When I clicked the menu point about us, I was expecting to find out about you, the owners. Instead I got more info about the Gites and the surroundings. I think the page is great, its the wording on the menu that is in question.

2. Pity there were not more pictures. I noticed this when I clicked on Pool, and expected more views around the pool. Only then did it become apparent you have the same 4 pikkies on all pages. Aw c'mon - thats not fair ! - But then you knew that :wink:

3. If SEO is important to you, then I would heed Peter's comments above. Even if you find all that meta tag stuff too complicated, then at least ensure that your page titles are descriptive and contain the search words. I think this is the minimum needed for good Search Engine Optimization.

And finally, you mention twice that you are in the second sunniest region in France. So whats the first ? IMHO, you could add a throwaway line that tells us the answer (and perhaps your source of this fact). If not, at least PM me the answer :D
Ju

Post by Ju »

Richard

The sunniest region of France is the Cote D'azur. The second sunniest appears to be a source of debate.

Lou has used the label as she is in the Poitou-Charantes department, we also use the label and we are not.

In fact the Micro climate is an area centered around the La-Rochelle area caused by the off shore islands. It is not as large as everybody stated and only goes about 30 or 40 km inland of La-Rochelle.

I didn't pick Lou up on it as everyone else in the Poitou-Charentes Department says the same thing, even if it isn't strictly true.

I suppose it brings into question whether everything we say in our sites has to be scientific fact, or whether we just do the same as the newspapers (I am in no doubt that you could find several quotes from publications supporting the "fact")

Sorry Lou - a bit off topic.

Ju
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ju wrote:
I suppose it brings into question whether everything we say in our sites has to be scientific fact, or whether we just do the same as the newspapers
You need to differentiate between 'facts' and 'opinions'. If you knowingly misrepresent facts, it will bring the honesty of your enterprise into question if you're found out. '300 year-old cottage, formerly a water-mill' is a fact, whilst 'beautifully and sympathically converted' is an opinion.

When you describe (and photograph) your property, you draw attention to the good stuff and gloss over the less salubrious bits. That's the essence of publicity - providing a polished version of what you have to sell - and I wouldn't say it was dishonest unless you're misrepresentating your property. If you're having to suppress an awful lot, you've probably chosen the wrong location.

Jim
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I found this a while ago at
http://kreitz.club.fr/Stat_ensoleilleme ... _ensol.htm :

Average hours of sun 1951 - 1980 :

Toulon 2899
Marignane 2849
Saint Raphaël 2828
Ajaccio 2767
Le Luc 2761
Nice 2741
Montpellier 2698
Bastia 2697
Orange 2656
Nîmes 2648
Solenzara 2643
Perpignan 2568
Montélimar 2555
Embrun 2554
Briançon 2420
La Rochelle 2298
Carcassonne 2197
Cap Ferret 2196
Cazaux 2158
Ile d'Yeu 2093
Bordeaux 2069
Toulouse 2061
Lus la Croix Haute 2052
Bourg-St-Maurice 2046
Lorient 2043
Cognac 2040
Gourdon 2016
Lyon 2008
Poitiers 1989
Agen 1983
Le Puy 1969
Belle île 1965
Mâcon 1960
Saint-Etienne 1937
Saint Girons 1935
Angers 1926
Mont de Marsan 1924
Nantes 1915
Dinard 1910
Biarritz 1909
Clermont-Ferrand 1903
Dijon 1901
Dax 1891
Limoges 1890
Nevers 1889
Mont St-Vincent 1888
Besançon 1884
Tarbes 1872
Pau 1870
Vichy 1868
Le Mans 1862
Tours 1858
Chatillon sur Seine 1855
Rennes 1850
Château-Chinon 1848
Chateauroux 1846
Ambérieu en Bugey 1839
Châteaudun 1838
Bourges 1827
Paris 1811
Ile de Bréhat 1810
Auxerre 1803
Mulhouse 1797
Cap de la Hève 1795
Orléans 1793
Romilly sur Seine 1793
Langres 1792
Saint Dizier 1769
Brest 1768
Caen 1768
Le Bourget 1766
Ile de Batz 1739
Chartres 1729
Colmar 1727
Reims 1710
Rouen 1689
Strasbourg 1682
Alençon 1679
Cherbourg 1675
Saint Quentin 1671
Beauvais 1658
Phalsbourg 1640
Abbeville 1639
Lille 1639
Metz 1629
Nancy 1629
Dieppe 1615
Rostrenen 1606

Marignane is Marseille airport.

Meteo France produce this chart :
http://www.meteo.fr/special/CLIM/GCMP/2 ... to2004.gif

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Ju,this rankles with me a bit. You are right.Most others just jump on the bandwagon! They probably don't even know they are doing so !
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Lou- well done on the website :lol: There are a few tenses mixed up but I expect you haven't quite polished it yet. The pool stuff comes over a bit negative. Why say the pool will be closed for at least 2 hours 3 times a week? We all have our pools cleaned - this is a positive for guests, maybe rephrasing would be better? Our guy comes and cleans the pool and the guests just steer clear until he's finished,same with the mowing. It's taking shape beautifully and it will be great to see with more piccies,especially indoor :lol: :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Speaking as someone who definitely DOESN'T live in one of the sunniest areas in France, does it really make a difference to bookings by mentioning a sunny micro climate etc.? It always seems to me that recourse to this phrase implies there isn't much else to recommend the area!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Ajaccio being the most southerly only comes in at 4, and as for Bastia.......strange
Cheers
PC
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Dear All,

How lovely that you didn't all throw up your hands in horror! I must be getting some of it reasonably right. I shall take on board your comments, and of course the pictures are one area that will get attention - I did mention that more needed to be added in my first post request. It is particularly useful to be told to remove the negative and keep the "instructions" for the T&Cs. Should I put the T&Cs directly onto the website or link to a new page or send them separately to enquirers?

With regard to first person singular - do you think it would put potential guests off to know that I run the place by myself? I am never sure whether to put we (meaning me and the dog!) or I. The "About us" title will be changed. I don't think guests would particularly interested in my biography!!

I've had guests over New Year (last minute bookings) and everything went pretty well - they seemed happy and mentioned my warm welcome. It's all good practice even if I am not making a huge amount of money. I will revisit the prices for Easter and High Season as suggested. I will retain the colours, I think, at least for the time being.

And lastly, "second sunniest area of France" I have heard a lot and inherited from my predecessors. Perhaps I should put "reputed to be the second sunniest area of France after the Cote d'Azur" or leave it out altogether? Any thoughts? It is certainly sunnier than South Bucks in my short experience!

If you have time to pick holes in the grammar and so on, please do PM me - I am so grateful for your help.

BTW meta wotsits mean nothing to me, so if you would be so kind as to clarify, Peter, and tell me what to do to improve the searchability, I will be in your debt.

A bientot, mes amis,

Lou
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Lou, I'm just mulling over your questions but one thought leapt out at me- use "we" !! You don't want anyone thinking you're there alone, all sorts of nutters around. KEEP SAFE :!: