Pool cleaning net & arrival departure times???

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Foxandsot

Pool cleaning net & arrival departure times???

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

I have an enquiry from a man who is asking the following:

"Previous villas, a long pole with a net basket fixed to the pole end was supplied and left in the villa for us to remove daily dust and leaves, etc from the pool. Would this be supplied since otherwise the pool would not be usable after the first day. As per previous villas we have been to in Cyprus, our expectation is that the pool water is automatically circulated and refreshed. Is this correct?"

What does he mean by "the pool would not be usable after the first day" We will be having a pool cleaner twice a week, is that not sufficient?

I also have no idea how our pool works as when we arrived in Cyprus last week they still hadn't finished it!! All I know is that it is a skimmer pool, would that be what he is talking about.

Sorry to go on but...another thing he asked was that he would be arriving between 12 noon and 11.30pm!! (I'm guessing he hasn't booked a flight yet so doesn't know what time) and leaving late in the evening. He wants to check out later than our check out time, should I tell him no unless no-one else books?

I apologise if this makes no sense but we only got back late last night and I'm still a bit dozy!.

Thanks (and a Happy New Year to All)

Michelle
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Michelle

I suppose it depends upon the type of pool, but provided you have sufficient skimmers then a twice weekly clean is more than adequate. You may still need a net to get out the odd wasp, or to do a quick sweep over when the cover is taken off (if there is a cover - you may not need one where you are).

In terms of check in and chek out times, you should give the guests the times you allow, eg check in is after 4pm and check out is before 10am. You will need this time to clean between guests. The only exception to this should be in low season when you don't have other guests coming. In the summer you are likely to be booked, don't tell the guests - you can stay late if we aren't booked, because that makes it more difficult to get them out if you are.

Don't worry about this loosing you a booking, all rental properties have the same sort of restrictions. You could offer somewhere to put luggage if they have a earlier/later flight.

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

Usually your pool installers will leave a pool brush and net - I think he means that. We have a robot that cleans the pool at night but sometimes we have petals or leaves or insects that need a quick surface net. I would just respond that the pool is maintained to a very high standard and that you are sure that he will enjoy it immensely!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

We leave our pool net out for daily cleaning. There's nothing worse than swimming amongst dead insects, leaves or even the odd mouse!!

If you have underwater lighting for evening swims you'll find the pool surface covered in insects and moths the next morning.

TAs Enid says, the net and pole are usually provided by the pool builder initially and we have to replace the net (though not the pole) every year but they're not expensive and this regular cleaning undoubtedly helps to maintain your water quality which is good for you.

Whenever I've stayed in a villa with it's own pool, there has always been a net provided and we always used it, in fact it's part of the holiday experience!

As for the pool itself, yes the skimmers take out the water and filter it before re-introducing it back into the pool. It will be set to come on and off automatically so tell him he needn't worry, all he has to do is enjoy himself!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Yep, great advice as per normal . The pole/net thing is normal UNLESS the pool is part of a complex? Otherwise you just leave the net out for them to fish out leaves and dead insects for themselves.All part of the holiday experience :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

In my opinion, the only way a pool would be 'unusable' would be if the water was not being filtered enough. If there is a little debris at the bottom of the pool, it may not look very nice, but it is not going to harm anyone, whereas untreated water could.
Twice a week barring any storms/high winds should be enough to clean out the pool - I do mine more regularly but only because I live on site and can - if I paid someone I wouldn't expect it to be done more frequently. I do leave a net out so that people can scoop out things if they want.
I also leave my water filter on permemently in the summer which keeps the water cleaner.
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Thanks for the advice. I've never owned a pool before nor stayed somewhere that has had a private one, so obviously a lot to learn!!

Thanks again
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Great advice from everyone as usual :D
the only thing I would add is regarding suntan lotion. We've noticed that if people use oil or thickly applied sun lotion and go into the pool without showering first then you get a thin layer of grease that no amount of skimming with a net will remove (infact our pool guy uses a tiny bit of fairy washing up liquid to get rid of it through the filters!)

you may want to mention that to him.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,

Both you and I run our pools so that they immaculately meet all hygiene regulations so what could possibly make them “unusable� in the eyes of our guests? A dead fly?

I despair at some of the problems fellow owners have with guests. Are some guests such “cheap skates� that finding a dead fly in the pool makes it unusable?

I am totally convinced that guests should get at least what they have paid for but I despair of those who say “The sauna wasn’t hot enough�, “The pool contained a dead fly�, “I want my money back�.

I don’t want people like that; I’d rather have an empty week than have people like that.

Fluffy
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We came back from holiday last summer to a dead hedgehog in the pool - nobody much fancied swimming until we'd netted him!

John
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

A friend of mine had someone ring her from Spain (she doesn't rent out so it was someone known to her) to ask what day the poolman would visit as there was a dead bird floating in the pool!!
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Ok, have emailed him back and he seems happy with the pool net situation!

He says that as his flight may not be until 11.30pm could he check out at 5pm at least. Part of me wants to say yes as I'm a scaredy cat and think that this may be our one and only booking of the year!! The other part of me wants to start as I mean to go on! Unfortunately, we have no-where to store luggage as we do not live on site or even in the same country!!

Another thing, should I be asking at this stage how many people the booking is for?

I'm beginning to think that I'm not up to this :oops:

michelle
roxytoo

booking

Post by roxytoo »

Yes def ask how many people are in the party

As for the late departure I always give people the option to pay for an extra day to secure it , if there is no-one being booked in that day I let them stay but I never can guarantee that I won't book anyone in so I give them the choice. Some people take a chance, some people pay the extra day and I have lost one booking becuase I couldn't guarantee it! But they are really asking for another day as it would be hard then for you to book that night out and I think it's only fair they either vacate as on the terms and conditions or they pay for another day
Ju

Post by Ju »

You haven't said when the booking is for, but if it is for the summer definately don't alow a 5pm check-out.

I don't always ask up front how many will be in the party, but I make it clear how many is the maximum. Once they say they wish to book I send a booking form which then has the names of all the party on it. Obviously they can make changes, but if you have names it is much easier to confirm the numbers.

If you already getting enquiries I see no reason why you won't get other bookings, be brave, and confident.

Ju
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I agree with all that has been said.

You should state a checking out time but you could say if noone else books you will try to be accomodating...
I expect that they are hiring a car and it wouldnt be the end of the world if they had to have a drive about on the last day with the cases in the car for a few hours.
A lot of the people who book our houses dont hire a car & as I arrange pickups this can be awkward if they have a late flight as they dont want to wander about with cases on theyre last afternoon.
So Ive arranged for the cases to be picked up by Alan[who does the pickups ]and he then brings the cases back when he picks them up later that evening usually at the local Bar/Restaurant near the houses to take them to the airport.