Low cost airlines.

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Paul Carmel

Low cost airlines.

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

We have none in Corsica. But, it is being talked about. EJ tried bully boy tactics to get in and thus shot themselves in both feet

How has this impacted on you? Good, bad or just damn ugly.......
Cheers
PC
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just had an email from Easy jet increasing a flight weve booked by £10

so they havent hung about :roll:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We love em Paul....they bring us lots of customers...and of course the lower cost of the flights have opened up villa renting to a whole new type of person.

I only wish they flew into the island over a longer period...our season matches the start and end of their flights!

Mouse
x
ps my sister-in-law went to Corsica last year and fell in love with the place...if she could get there on budget airlines she would go twice a year! However she's limited to travel companies (she lives in the North West of England)...which gives her no flexibility to rent lovely places like yours!
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
centime

Post by centime »

After squeezyJet started flying into Lisbon, we got more British who up until then mostly only knew Portugal as the Algarve. Now Lisbon is a city break destination. Another twist is that RyanAir now fly cheap flights from Faro to Madrid, so many for the Portuguese flew off there for the New Year, who knows maybe we get some Spanish trying out to Portugal's coastline to escape the Brits! Spanish also fly into Lisbon, counted 3 flights into Lisbon from Barcelona on the 29th December within 15 minutes. :? :?: :lol:
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Paul,

I agree with Mouse that the market has expanded over the past number of years, much of it due to budget airlines.

However, cheap flights are such a tremendous benefit to property owners as well who are still living in the Uk. My neighbour who spends 2 to 3 months here twice a year just books early at the giveaway prices and if he has to change, you pay an additional supplement.

Great for us living here too as we can get cheaper flights back to visit family and do some shopping, etc.

Maria
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Mouse,

Queasy Jet Liverpool - Nice, Ferry Nice - Calvi (2 and half hrs,16 Euros per foot passenger).............its a breeze!

I think we are able to charge more, hence work less, to achieve the same results as you would on mainland France, because the destination is not serviced by low cost.....or am I very wrong?

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has experienced the before and after of lowcost flights starting up in their area - what differences, good and bad, has it made?
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Hi Paul....Mmm those travel arrangements sound right up my sister-in-laws street...NOT!

I think the rental charge you can levy has a lot to do with the area you're in. I'm sure you can charge much more than rural France as Corsica is such a stunning place and also considered upmarket and therefore 'desirable'.
Once you have people buying into a certain lifestyle you can charge more. This is what its like on Ibiza.
I probably charge an awful lot more than the rest of Spain...but its number 3 to Madrid & Barcelona when you look at rental income.
However our season is short and property extortionate to buy, but if you manage it then you can earn a lot of rental income...so its swings & roundabouts I suppose.

Interestingly here the budget airlines have really helped. As Maria said - they've expanded the market. The rental prices are still going up every year so they've not been effected...because theres more demand. And it allows some people to buy a piece of a lifestyle they want...without it costing a fortune to get here.

Package tours are dying - long live independant travellers!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

"Once you have people buying into a certain lifestyle you can charge more."

Taken a little out of context on my behalf, But if travel becomes easy and cheap, and the new buyers flock in, supply and demand will dictate the price which can then only decrease

Sorry not convinced..........either way.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

For us, low cost airline haven't made a lot of difference. We live so close to the ferry ports that it is cheaper and not much longer for most of our guests travel by car and ferry. For Corsica, though, I would think it would be a huge plus as it is such a long way to drive from the ferry ports - I would think you'd get the same benefits as Spain and Italy rental owners.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Ros,

Your extra tener is for Gorden Browns new tax, not for Queasy Jets pocket.
Cheers
PC
gh

Re: Low cost airlines.

Post by gh »

Paul Carmel wrote:Hi, How has this impacted on you?
Helped us definately. We get a few week/long weekend shoulder bookings; where our guests come by air. There is a choice of 4 airports, furtherest away is two hours drive, closest 45mns.

Peak summer they tend to travel via car and spend two weeks.

I have just booked us flights in March, at a staggering 1p :shock: each way + taxes; total cost £33.58 for two.

Michael O'Ryan is the biz. :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Budget and low cost airlines, why do they exist? It’s because people like you and me said schedule airlines are a rip-off. Now that budget and low cost airlines exist we spend our time tearing them to pieces.

I guess we want our cake and we want to eat it, all at the same time.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I did realise that Paul Just thought they were quick off the mark... :roll:

Still cheap though :wink: .....apart from getting the benefits of people being able to get her reasonably we also get to fly out at least 5 times a year ...so thats great too :wink:
We are in between Alicante and Murcia [about 30-45 mins]
so its easy to get to......
and we have loads of choice of Airlines which of course keeps the price down and even though theyve stuck this tax on....
They will only charge what they can get away with and while theres someone willing to undercut them none of the airlines will overprice themselves....... :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Paul Carmel wrote:..I'd be interested to hear from someone who has experienced the before and after of lowcost flights starting up in their area - what differences, good and bad, has it made?
The most noticable difference is that we now have to be more flexible on changeover days. SleazyJet prices on Mon or Tuesday can be 1/3 of the more traditional Thurs or Sat. And yes, we do suffer the odd 2-3 day gaps. But all in all, I sense it has helped with bookings across the year as a whole.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Alan Knighting wrote:Budget and low cost airlines, why do they exist? It’s because people like you and me said schedule airlines are a rip-off. Now that budget and low cost airlines exist we spend our time tearing them to pieces.

I guess we want our cake and we want to eat it, all at the same time.
Our scheduled airline (BA) service was always preferable to the Ryanair one. It was inevitabley cheaper and certainly more convenient (who wants to fly to Stanstead after all?)

Unfortunately due to the percieved "cheap" price of Ryaniar, British Airways no longer fly to Nantes. Leaving us with no choice but to fly with Ryanair. This also means I can no longer get the connection up to Manchester, where my family llive.

If I had the choice (and obviously I don't) I would choose to have only the standard scheduled airlines in the area.

We do get guests who fly, but then there were some who used BA! I don't think it would significantly change our business, but it would cut down on the number of househunters in the area!

Ju