When is a booking not a booking!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Foxandsot

When is a booking not a booking!

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

Having got over the excitement of my handful of enquiries I am now coming back down to earth with a bump!!

Only one of the three people who said they wanted to book have sent me any money.

One person who sent me loads of emails and questions etc asked me to provisionally book dates and would book his flights within 3 days. Two days ago I had another enquiry which overlapped 1st enquirers dates, I sent an email this morning asking if he still wanted to go ahead with the booking as I had another party interested and he hasn't responded (I know he's been online as it shows on my pc as we use the same isp!!).

How long should I leave it before I realise it isn't a booking :(

Thanks

Michelle
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

hi there!

it is amazing how people can sound so enthusiastic and then seem to drop off the face of the earth :)

generally I do as you have done...anyone who has asked me to 'hold' the week/s I say I will notify them of any enquiries and then do so.
I usually put a read receipt on the email (tho of course this relies on them sending it back to you!) and say that if I don't hear back within a day or two then I will consider that they're no longer interested.

I also advise the new enquirer what I'm doing. In all cases they have been happy to wait a day or two for me to get back to them.

If you know he hasn't responded (but has seen it) I would give him a bit longer...if he is trying to co-ordinate a holiday for a group of people then he's probably having to speak with all of them.

We generally have parties of 6-8, usually a group of friends, 2 families or family members....I always feel sorry for the person who has to do the co-ordination and planning - they sometimes have a hard job getting around everyone and getting an agreement on things!
I'm speaking with someone now who's had a real struggle trying to get the deposit collected off her friends....she enquired well before christmas and has now just got them organised! Luckily they've been flexible on dates.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Alan Knighting

Re: When is a booking not a booking!

Post by Alan Knighting »

VillaTatiana wrote:How long should I leave it before I realise it isn't a booking
I know it might sound a bit "hard nosed" but if I have more than one enquiry for a particular week it's "first come first served". A booking is not a booking until I have a signed booking form and a cheque for the deposit. Until then people can simply walk away, and they often do.

Fluffy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hard- nosed but spot on !!!!
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

Does anyone have a nice way of saying "I've given your provisional dates to someone else as you never coughed up the deposit!!

mx
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

or do you not bother emailing to tell someone their provisional dates are no longer available?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I would email the 2nd enquirers saying that the dates are still available...but You have had other Enquiries....

Is there a phone number for the first people maybe you could give them a call...chasing them up...
If the second enquirers want to book, let them and send an email saying that as the deposit hasnt been received you take it that they dont want to book..

Alans right Ive had people say theyve posted the chq it must be lost in the post they will send another etc and then not booking in the end...
Angel

Post by Angel »

This "cheque in the post" etc is why I insist that all bookings go through my Villarenters account. I give them two days to pay by credit/debit card and the automated email system sends them reminders. If payment is not received, I will cancel their booking (I've only ever had to do this once). If they are serious ,they can always book again.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Once we send out a booking form we hold the dates for 14 days. If the form has not been returned with the deposit in this time then we whase them up.

If by this time we have had another enquiry I try to get a credit card of one of them. The first to pay gets the booking.

We do get people who tell us how fantastic the place is etc etc, ask for a booking form and then never return it. On chasing them we get "oh we decided not to come after all". So why didn't they let us know? :evil:

I do think you need to allow people a period of time to get money to you, but the best thing is to tell them what this time period is. If they don't get back in this time they loose the booking.

Saying all that we have an outstanding form, and on chasing the guest has said - "we have decided to book" (I thought that why why I sent out the form!) "I'll send back the form at the end of the week" (why don't you do it now!) Grrr!

Ju
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Still no reply from first enquirer, am about to send this email to him - why am I scared :lol:

"We have had quite a few enquiries for the dates that you were interested in.

As we have not yet received a deposit or email from yourself, we are assuming that you no longer wish to book Villa Tatiana and have therefore made the dates you provisionally booked available to other enquirers.

We hope that you bear Villa Tatiana in mind for any future holidays you may take in Cyprus."

Does it sound okay??

mx
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sounds Fine... :wink:

Well Done for your handling of it.. :)
debk

Post by debk »

Such an uncomfortable situation... but sounds like you are wrapping it up well!

FWIW, when I send my first response to an inquiry and say, "yes, those dates are available*" I really do use an "*" and, at the bottom of the note, I include:
*IMPORTANT: This email does not constitute a tentative reservation nor a commitment to hold these dates for you. Availability and rates are subject to change. Reservations are only confirmed upon receipt of Booking Deposit.
We accept credit card payments now, so requests for holds are almost non-existent. However, I do still get groups asking for me to hold "while they confirm plans." When I explain that that has caused problems in the past, I've never had anyone disappear in a huff. Rather, they tend to either move quickly or admit that they aren't really in a position to make a decision now. (Which is exactly the situation I wish to avoid.)

BCC (before credit cards), I would agree to wait 7 days to receive payment... BUT I explained that the property would continue on the market and I would maintain a waiting list. Also clearly explained was the fact that, if the payment was not received by X Date, then I would automatically offer the property to the next person on the list.

People pretty much stayed on top of their payments themselves and didn't expect me to babysit the process for them. That is, they would email me to make sure payment was received. Nonetheless, I found this whole "check's in the mail" issue a headache, the worst part of the rental mgmt process BY FAR.

I only lasted one year before I made the glorious decision to move to credit cards, and I highly recommend it. It's fairly painless to raise your prices by the 5% or so to cover the credit card... and guests love the ease of payment as much as I do. :lol:
debk
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Russian Proverb:
If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.
Mostly agree with the drift of what other members have said but the waters can get a bit muddy if the potential booking is (say) a multi-gite one for a fortnight whilst the one cutting across it is for the smallest gite for a week. In that case (bit cynical I know, but this is business) we'd work a bit harder with the 'potentials' if our instinct told us it could be a runner. But not to the point where we'd terminally upset the possible week booking - it's a fine balance. We'd also give a little more leeway to guests who have been before.

Not everybody understands the need for urgency when trying to book for the busy months. We had a recent example of a potential multi-gite booking for 16 people in August which we couldn't take (tried to see if we could split it with another complex complex close by - but no go). The person trying to make the booking was astonished that early January was already too late.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's the point I was about to make Jim - we too have had a case sometimes of the first booking inquiry being a more attractive proposition than a second for the same date, (fewer children under the age of 4 eg!) but perhaps a bit slow in sending their deposit - as you say, it's a fine balancing act on these occasions.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

prospective ski champ
:lol: :lol:

You tooo modest whatdya mean prospective...after all youve been on the fake ski slope once already........ :wink: :roll:

Youre both right it is a balancing act and you must always try to get the best outcome for yourself......

You must all get these last minute requests from desperate people who have been let down last minute...I know I have..theyve been booked got flts only to be bumped[Im sure cos the rental owner has had abetter offer] I know I have on occasions been offered more in peak weeks to try and get me to cancel other guests......
As Ive said I dont do businees that way...[and I wouldnt want someone in the houses who would want me to]

I know this is the extreme end and Im sure no one on LMH would consider doing this but Im sure it happens. :cry: