How many visitors to your website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

How many visitors to your website

Post by keithfenton »

I would be interested to know how many visitors per month people get to their websites
I seem to get about 100 per month
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Keith,

In order that people can answer your question they will need to know how to gather the information.

How about posting a short users guide on "how do I record and monitor the number of visits being made to my website"?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

Your hosting service will usually include a statistics report that shows you how many people visit, where they come from, what search terms they used to find you, where people arrived at and left your site, etc. Very useful stuff.

I don't know if the free hosts that have been mentioned on the forum also provide this. I can recommend ipowerweb.com, which is about $8 per month, and if you pay for the year they include the domain name too.

Keith,

I get an average of about 390 unique visitors (as opposed to visitors) a month on each of my two sites. About a third of these come from Google pay-per-click.

Not all of these are human visitors, the search engine spiders also count as visitors and they come round quite regularly.

If you want to increase your visitor numbers, and don't want to pay for pay-per-click, try building up your inbound links.There are two articles on this here:
viewtopic.php?t=100
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I host www.experienceburgundy.com at Powweb, which is also about $8 per month. They have great uptime stats and two webstats functions to choose from.

Using the past 12 months as an average, my site gets 4000 hits a month -- but those are not unique, and they include spiders, repeat visitors, and my own visits (I have a password-protected administrative section where I maintain the availability calendar and keep a basic accounting record).

On average, I get about 225 unique visitors per month. Most of my referring URLs are search engines (google/dmoz.org/yahoo) in various countries, and actually a lot of them are image searches (e.g. images.google.com). There are usually a reasonable number of referrals from the one site we advertise on (frenchconnections.co.uk).

This season we're expanding our advertisement to at least one or two other sites (haven't decided which yet) and also looking into Google's pay-per-click program. Hopefully that will boost our exposure -- I'd like to get above 500 unique hits a month, eventually.
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

As a footnote, there are different ways of measuring site visits:

Unique visitors: how many different people have seen your site.

Visitors: this figure includes repeat visitors

Pages: how many times a page has been looked at (or at least requested) on your site

Hits: a 'hit' is recorded each time a graphic or page from your site is called up. So if your homepage has 5 pictures and 2 graphic elements, one visit to the page will register as 8 hits. (Correct me if that isn't quite right).

Some rental listing sites say they get x million hits per month - they are probably hoping that you will take this to mean x million visitors, which is far from the case. For instance, visitors to my site average 32 hits per visit.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Hi these are my stats so far for Jan. Not sure of the difference between the bottom 4, ie which one denotes a unique vistor is it total unique user agents?

Monthly Statistics for January 2005

Total Hits 26182
Total Files 18956
Total Pages 5038
Total Visits 1900
Total KBytes 154237

Total Unique Sites 753
Total Unique URLs 839
Total Unique Referrers 279
Total Unique User Agents 157

Not all of the visitors come to the site looking for a villa rental as some search strings indicate people looking for basic Turkish, culture and history etc. However the hope is it will plant a seed even if they were not specifically looking for a holiday.

Intrestingly my top referrer at the moment is this site probably due to the web site review. I will have to take this into account before I get too excited. Last month total visitors = 1725 against this months total of 1900.
Always Learning
keithfenton
Location: property South west Corner of the dordogne St Meard de Gurcon. Me East Yorkshire

Post by keithfenton »

My site is hosted by supanames.co.uk I paid 32.88 for 2 years including the domaine name registration
As I pay the basic rate I do not think I get any extra information about visitors
I count my visitors by reference to www.Ultimatecounter.com
Which I have on my home page
as this is free I also dont think I get any extra info but will have to look
I seem to get enough enquiries to fill about 15 weeks but would need to look at it to get more off season bookings
How would I get all those statistics you all seem to get

keith
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hanorah,

Hopefully someone more technical like Tony or Brooke will give you a better answer.

My understanding of a user agent is any browser or search engine spider that accesses your site. So that isn't the same as a unique visitor. Or is it? I am looking at those bottom four and am reminded of that feeling in an exam when you realise you don't understand the question.

Not much help then!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Paolo, I agree with you on the definition of a User Agent... a browser is a user agent, but so is a spider or a robot, including search engine spiders and e-mail farming spiders, etc. It's my understanding that if you have 500 unique visitors and they all use exactly the same browser (i.e., they're all using Mozilla Firefox 1.0 from Linux), you'll only have 1 unique user agent.

It might seem like there are not that many browsers out there, but even with only the main browsers there are several different versions. MSIE 5.0 is not the same agent as MSIE 6.0, and even MSIE 6.0 isn't the same on Windows XP as it is on Windows 2000. So it's totally reasonable to have hundreds per month.

I believe "unique sites" would be the best indicator of unique visitors. The webstats tool I use defines "sites" as IP addresses, i.e., different computers. It's probably a common definition, though I'm not sure.

"Unique URLs" on my webstats shows the URLs that were accessed on my site by users. I believe that includes everything, i.e. images, applications, pages, stylesheets, etc.

"Unique Referrers" shows the different sites that brought people to your site, i.e. google search pages or yahoo, etc.

Hanorah, 753 unique visitors is great! Your idea of bringing people to your site with the topic of basic turkish culture is clearly working. :)
Brooke