Short break dilemma

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Short break dilemma

Post by Hells Bells »

I have added a 'late deal' to my listings for a full week at the end of Jan. I have had an enquiry via one of them, for a short break during that week. Should I discount, bearing in mind the cleaning costs will be the same, or charge my normal short break price? The lady who looks after the property charges me a percentage of my rent, as she does more than just clean for me. If I have 2 bookings in the same week, the percentage is higher
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Helen the late deal that you've offered is already discounted, so I wouldn't discount any further.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The only time I've ever done this (in our 1st yr to fill an awkward period) I pro-rata'd the rental cost + 10% to cover cleaning etc)

As it suited us to have this, giving us a little extra money when we thought we might be empty, I was OK with that...but must I admit I wasn't sure what to charge. So will be interested in what everyone else suggests.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Helen, am not very good at deciding things like this myself but tried to look at it as punter for you.

Checked your website prices and am not sure if end Jan is mid or peak season. Also you have a discount full week price but a price from 100 euros per night, min 3 nights aswell. I am a bit confused but as a punter if I wanted less than a week I would assume I would be paying around 100 euros a night. I guess what I am trying to say is that from your special offers page I wouldn't expect to pay the full special offer price for a short break. :o
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks Partridge, if you're confused I guess the punters could be too. Late Jan is really low/mid-season,and is just before the French and UK half-terms start. I usually offer short breaks outside of school holidays. Usual price would be €100 euros per night, which I haven't discounted in the late deal. I have only discounted the full week price. I've updated the special offers links,and they are now more clear that the discount applied to the full week .
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ok, thicky dicky here again. If the period is low/mid then I would expect the price to be between the two, which 550 is, so as a punter I wouldn't see it as a discount, sorry :? Following on from that, if I wanted a shorter stay I guess I would be expecting to pay 100 euros a night. So are you quoting 550 for say 3 or 4 nights, don't have to say, just trying to give you an idea of how I would personally see it :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Hi Helen

Short breaks, love them or hate them, but can't do without them now.

Have just checked 2006 figures and 58% of my bookings were short breaks. 10 years ago this would have been 20 - 25% so shows how the market has changed. Of course a lot depends on your market, as we are not traditional 'bucket and spade holiday' area. Most of our guests are from UK and Holland and have not travelled vast distances, and short breaks are becoming very popular especially due to our proximity to London and Canterbury. Also very popular for day trips to France, less than an hour by Shuttle to Calais to stock up on cheap booze and fags!!

For short breaks we charge two thirds of the weekly rate for a 3 or 4 night stay. Great if you can get 2 in back to back but of course 2 lots of changeovers for one and a half times the weekly rental, but usually find no major cooking so less kitchen cleaning work. We don't offer short breaks in the high season.

In your position I would tend not to discount but charge your normal short break price.

Hope this helps.
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Last winter, all my bookings during March were for short breaks and midweek arrivals, fits in well with cheap flights, and it meant we got a 5 day break too. I only ended up with one odd night we couldn't book, and as I charge that bit extra for the short breaks, I didn't lose out. I didn't discount in the end, but they haven't booked yet.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Short breaks are great off season, I agree. I let out our gites often for weekends or long weekends/ 3/4 night lets in the winter. guests (French) usually bring their own bed linen and do the cleaning after (most of it anyway!). And I can charge higher nightly rate than weekly rate, so it is well worthwhile!