Pastor John King - not sure if it's genuine....

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Chambo

Pastor John King - not sure if it's genuine....

Post by Chambo »

Hello,
I'm due to open my group accommodation in March and have just received this enquiry:
Hello,
We need lodging accomodation in your hotels for period
of ten days for Ten Christians Women delegates in your
country. The arrival date will be 30th March and
departure will be 10th April 2007. Please if the
desire dates are available please kindly get back to
me with total cost of the reservation including
feedings. We're paying with euro currency so kindly state its equivalent.
I would like the owner or Managing Director to mail me back.
thanks
Pastor John King

I replied (very politely, course!) to say that we are not a hotel but can send them menus of local restaurants, prices etc and any further information that they need. He then got back with:
Hello,
Thanks for your reply and assistance so far. I am glad to tell you that European Certified Cheque of 8,000 euro shall be issued, for the hotel services for the summit.

I have now been instructed to send you the cheque, which will cover the cost of accommodation and all the necessary arrangement for the delegates. Moreover, .So you are required to deduct the cost of your services 2,190 euro for delegates and keep the balance of 5,810 euro for the delegates. The balance will be use for any other things they desire to have or purchase in your hotel during their stay.
So confirm this and provide me with your (1) YOUR FULL NAME (2) ADDRESS ( 3 ) PHONE NUMBERS, for payment to be delivered to you via courier.

Please remember that the integrity of our organisation is involved, so this business requires prompt response. I also hope the stay of the delegates will be made comfortable.
Thanks.
Hmmm, I'm not too sure what to think - our website is still in the process of construction and there aren't many photos. I'm not sure I would send money to someone without even seeing the place first - but what could be 'in it' for them?
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
Many thanks in advance,
Anna
paolo

Post by paolo »

Christian delegations are a very popular scam, put bargepole away, do not touch.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Drop it like a brick its a scam without a doubt. Take a look at the following thread.

viewtopic.php?t=2690
Cheers
PC
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Anna

Definite Scam
as the others have said the reason hes vague about where you are is he hasnt a clue just sent this to thousands of emails and hopes someone bites.......

PLEASE dont get caught. :o ....No more contact..
Chambo

Thank you!

Post by Chambo »

Just want to thank you all so much for your quick replies. I read the thread about scammers too and just had my eyes opened for me!
Shall drop all contact with the Christians like a big fat stone.

Thanks again and will look forward to posting on here more often,
Cheers and happy new year,
Anna
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

Hi All

An interesting website :shock:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/inboxer.asp

Cheers
Ian
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Can someone explain to me where the 'scam' part comes in, if they deliver the money by courier how do you experienced peeps see this panning out.

I know about the overypayment by cheque, asking for refund and the amount never cleared but to be honest I don't even get this, surely no one would ever issue a refund until the original funds had cleared anyway. Sorry to sound dense but I don't get it. :oops:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Marks

Post by Marks »

It's to do with the delay between the certified cheque appearing to be cleared in your account and by the time it wends its way through the international banking system it is eventually returned as unpaid many days or even weeks later as the cheque will be either stolen, phoney or have a stop on it.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Bang on Mark S,

And in the mean time they will have cancelled or shortened the trip and will be looking for a refund by Western Union which is instant cash in the pocket.
Cheers
PC
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Yes, but wouldn't you check with your bank that funds are clear before refunding anything and if told 'yes' then that's ok yes ?

Where does the Western union bit come in ?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

The cheque will show as cleared on your account, as Mark said........even though it is a fake. Then there is a small window of time in which the scammer will try to get money out of you. WU is instant, you go to an office ( in France it's La Poste ), give them 50 euros or whatever, and the recipient can pick it up anywhere in the world within the hour - leaving you without the cash which he did not pay you with in the first place..
Cheers
PC
Chambo

Scammers

Post by Chambo »

Hello,

I must admit that I too wondered how the recipient (ie us!) lost out to this sort of thing.. now I get it. And to think I replied with the suggestion of showing Pastor King's 'ladies' a good holiday!! I hang my head in shame.

This has really opened my eyes to it all, so thank you all again for all of your advice and help - this really is a genuine place to come for 'proper advice' and I'm taking it all on board.

Cheers,
Anna
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Welcome onboard Anna :D ,

Ive found this Forum to be such a great help as well...
The stuff these guys[and gals] know is amazing and theyre very willing to help & share......

ps We have some laughs along the way as well

Happy Posting Maybe ist was a good thing that the Pastor came into your life after all..... :wink: :roll: :lol:
brenda

Post by brenda »

Pastor John King has just changed into Pastor Viola Mary now looking for accommodation here!!!
gebbe

Post by gebbe »

:oops: I got exactly the same text from "Pastor John King" as Anna... which finally opened my eyes beyond the feeling of "something rotten about the thing ..... but it would be nice to earn the money". Not that I hadn't grilled the Pastor to get information about him, the "christians ladies", and the congregation. He always had an answer, but his style definitely wasn't too "pastor-like"...
Today the check came in the mail, and I was going to take it to the bank, but luckily I decided to google around once more. My gut just wasn't comfortable. And then I found Anna's message ... THANK GOD!!! and all you others' replies. THANK YOU!! When the "Pastor" (who I doubt has ever seen a church from the inside :evil:) phoned me to ask whether I had forewarded the money to the "Logistics Pastor" I told him that I had ripped the cheque to pieces and never would send any money, now that I knew about his phony practices. I doubt that he will bother bothering me again.
Anyways, I became member of this club in order to share my experience with you and tell you that you just saved 5000 euros for me. Mange tak (from the state of Denmark)